[Rumble 5.0.9] Crashing players' video drivers

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

quickdraw
Kobold

[Rumble 5.0.9] Crashing players' video drivers

Post by quickdraw »

I myself am not experiencing this problem, however both of my players are.

As we are modifying tokens, sometimes the dialog boxes go black, sometimes only the entry fields, sometimes only the buttons. Eventually the computer freezes, and display resets. He thinks it's the display driver crashing. The other player has been running into similar issues, and is having his display driver crash such that his Windows Taskbar resets its skin.

One of the errors Player 1 has gotten:

java.lang.NullPointerException error executing expression status = input( ".|Adjust Category and Level for "+powername+"||LABEL|SPAN=TRUE", "lvl|"+powerLevel+"|Enter level", "cat|"+pcatlist+"|Select power category|LIST|SELECT="+listFind(pcatlist,powerCat)+" VALUE=STRING").

We've tried running with the recommended Maptool startup settings, we've tried running with much higher values. We've tried with Maptools ranging from .77 to .82. Everyone's running the latest video drivers AND Java.

Help? Please?

Rumble
Deity

Re: [Rumble 5.0.9] Crashing players' video drivers

Post by Rumble »

As far as I know, it's not possible for a framework itself to do anything that will affect video driver or video performance.

However, I have observed long property values (if you double-click on a token, and then click on a property that has a long - e.g., many many characters - value) trip the "shut Aero off" flag for Windows, when it tries to display the property as a tooltip.

The null pointer exception error is likely unrelated to the video issues you're having, but I don't know what would be causing the error - as far as I can see, there's nothing wrong with the code shown. Maybe someone else will see what I'm overlooking.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Re: [Rumble 5.0.9] Crashing players' video drivers

Post by jfrazierjr »

quickdraw wrote:As we are modifying tokens, sometimes the dialog boxes go black, sometimes only the entry fields, sometimes only the buttons. Eventually the computer freezes, and display resets. He thinks it's the display driver crashing. The other player has been running into similar issues, and is having his display driver crash such that his Windows Taskbar resets its skin.
This is video card related, either via a bad java install or bad drivers. Is this something that suddenly started happening? If so, my guess is that Windows has installed a generic driver for the video card based upon some bogus detection of which card you(they) actually have. I had this problem 8 months ago when Windows update downloaded a generic wireless card for my Atheros(sp?) card and boom... no internet. Fortunately, I have other computers as was able to go the manufacturer web site, get the latest version, and then tell windows to "leave this the heck alone!!!"

My suggestion at this point would be to have the players go to the card makers site and get the latest drivers. Reboot the computer to clear EVERYTHING out of memory(just in case something), install the drivers, reboot again, and then try. If that still causes the issue, then get the Java download from Oracle's site, uninstall the existing java version, REBOOT!!!!!!!!, install new java.

quickdraw wrote: One of the errors Player 1 has gotten:

java.lang.NullPointerException error executing expression status = input( ".|Adjust Category and Level for "+powername+"||LABEL|SPAN=TRUE", "lvl|"+powerLevel+"|Enter level", "cat|"+pcatlist+"|Select power category|LIST|SELECT="+listFind(pcatlist,powerCat)+" VALUE=STRING").

We've tried running with the recommended Maptool startup settings, we've tried running with much higher values. We've tried with Maptools ranging from .77 to .82. Everyone's running the latest video drivers AND Java.

Help? Please?
This should be unrealated unless the video cards flakiness are corrupting your computers memory, in which case you would see a windows error related to the "access"(I can't think of the exact error of the top of my head).

EDIT: Oh, another thing you can check after these "freezes" is the windows eventlog either in the system or application logs to see if the video card is dumping anything there.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”