[Rumble 5.10] Cumulative stacking of Defense penalties

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Generic_Rogue
Cave Troll

[Rumble 5.10] Cumulative stacking of Defense penalties

Post by Generic_Rogue »

Didn't try this is 5.1.1, but basically I had a monster that did a save ends -2 to all defenses every round and by the end it looked like it was cumulatively stacking.

Rumble
Deity

Re: [Rumble 5.10] Cumulative stacking of Defense penalties

Post by Rumble »

I was under the impression that is proper according to the rules (and the general rule that anything cool doesn't stack, but anything that sucks, stacks like a motherfather).

Generic_Rogue
Cave Troll

Post by Generic_Rogue »

I'm not quite sure rule wise how its supposed to stack. Guess I'll have to look that up (Monster was a Nightwalker MM1). There did seem to be more of a problem than just that though. It seemed like it lowered defense 2 the first time, and 6 the next time. It also didn't reset the defenses to the correct number after the affect was removed. That was the main problem.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Generic_Rogue wrote:I'm not quite sure rule wise how its supposed to stack. Guess I'll have to look that up (Monster was a Nightwalker MM1). There did seem to be more of a problem than just that though. It seemed like it lowered defense 2 the first time, and 6 the next time. It also didn't reset the defenses to the correct number after the affect was removed. That was the main problem.
Okay, so it may be okay to stack, but it's obviously not okay to stack wrong. I recall that being a particularly thorny fix I did a while back for some other issue. I'll revisit it!

Generic_Rogue
Cave Troll

Post by Generic_Rogue »

So, was this working as intended or was something wrong? Or did it get fixed?

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Okay, I looked at it, and it's a case of "Rumble can't do math, plus he wasn't thinking." :oops:

The primary issue is that my approach was pretty much all wrong. The secondary issue is that going back to the original approach, before I implemented Wrongness, isn't right either, because there may be an issue with stacking positive modifiers.

I believe the general rule is something like "If it benefits you, it never stacks, but if it sucks, stack it up." However, I have to re-read the rules on that and then figure out what to do. It's not as easy as I'd hoped.

DevoDog
Dragon

Post by DevoDog »

Chris,
Same named element don't stack. So if you have -2 DEFENSE PENALTY from "Stinky Residue" and are hit with another "Stinky Residue", you only have -2 DEFENSE PENALTY.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Okay, cool. I haven't had a chance to mess with this yet, but that helps.

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”