HELP Please!!!!

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

whtwulf
Cave Troll

HELP Please!!!!

Post by whtwulf »

Have a game on Saturday night and I need to get this issue resolved!

I am running 1.3.b83 of MapTool, with memory at 1054 and stack size 16. I am using Veggiesama's framework 2.34 for D&D 4e. Every time I click on the Basic Attack buttons (Melee or Ranged), I get the following error:

java.lang.NullPointerException error executing expression critResultBonus = eval(dmgDiceBonus+"").

It seems to be contagious, as it has infected some of my other macros that I created. I'm not certain if they were built off of the Basic Attack macro or not. I need to know how to resolve this as quickly as possible, please.

It does not infect everything, only certain ones, but the sample characters included with the framework seem to have the same issue.

I have even rebuilt the macros, but keep getting the same error.

plothos
Great Wyrm

Re: HELP Please!!!!

Post by plothos »

That's an error in the macro and not memory related, but I should pause to note that a stack of 16 is REALLY big. I think Veg recommends 10 and that's huge already. My group has encountered errors that may be related to this.

As for the macro, try loading the macros as though you were going to edit them, then just click through and see if this resets whatever is messed up. Also note that sometimes Veg seems to need a -- in some of the fields instead of a blank.
Drop-In Utilities:
My Spell Manager for D&D3.5 and PFRPG
My Inventory Manager for D&D and PFRPG, but more generally useable than that.
My Message Manager -- My Top-Down D&D Token Images
and my Custom Initiative & Status/Spell-Effect Tracker (work in progress, but functional).

whtwulf
Cave Troll

Post by whtwulf »

Clicking through didn't work. I've reduced the stack size back to 10, and I've checked for blanks, but I can't seem to find any.

plothos
Great Wyrm

Post by plothos »

Do the characters have weapons/implements equipped, and do the power macros reference them correctly?

Is the error cropping up before or after the input window where you pick your target pops up.
Drop-In Utilities:
and my Custom Initiative & Status/Spell-Effect Tracker (work in progress, but functional).

whtwulf
Cave Troll

Post by whtwulf »

Implements are properly equipped and, so far as I can tell, the powers are referencing them. The issues comes up after target selection.

Thank you for taking the time to help me with this; it is greatly appreciated.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

whtwulf wrote:java.lang.NullPointerException error executing expression critResultBonus = eval(dmgDiceBonus+"").
Hm. I could see a JSON array or object causing that error when used as a parameter to Wiki: eval(), but you're adding an empty string to it which should force it back to a string.

If it were me I would add a line immediately above this that says the following:

Code: Select all

[assert(0,"Value is #" + dmgDiceBonus + "#")] 
That should print the current contents of the variable (with a "#" on either side). Maybe you'll be able to tell what the problem is when you see the content...?

You could try updating to b84. There may have been a bug that's been fixed already; the Main Page of the wiki links to the ChangeLog where you can see what changes were made in each version of MapTool.

whtwulf
Cave Troll

Post by whtwulf »

Hmmmm. Afraid I'm not very proficient with Java, so to be honest, a lot of that went over my head. I thought about trying to swap to b84, but if I do so, the startup is all automated, so I can't set the memory or stack size, which creates issues.

whtwulf
Cave Troll

Post by whtwulf »

Just for a lark, I tried opening the campaign in b84 and it seems to run okay, but I still get the same error.

whtwulf
Cave Troll

Post by whtwulf »

New development. It has to be something I've done (though I can't fathom what), because the PC token works just fine.

plothos
Great Wyrm

Post by plothos »

Pretty sure Veg says that version of his FW is for b84, but if the error persists that's not the problem. Have you tried loading the basic FW and running the macros? If the error isn't there, then it's be something odd in your campaign. Have you/are you using old tokens that haven't been updated to the new FW version? We've had some weirdness there.

@Azh: I'm assuming the OP has not altered any of Veggie's code, so unless others are seeing this problem it wouldn't be that a line of code needs to be added, I don't think. I don't think I've seen this even when first updating to the new version.

Have you made sure the tokens are using the right property set? It's possible Veg's code failed to call a property in a way that would find a needed "hidden" property or something. I'm reaching here, but check in the config panel for the tokens which property set they're using.
Drop-In Utilities:

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

plothos wrote:@Azh: I'm assuming the OP has not altered any of Veggie's code, so unless others are seeing this problem it wouldn't be that a line of code needs to be added, I don't think. I don't think I've seen this even when first updating to the new version.
Agreed. Yet as it is this is all guesswork. Yet it's pretty clear that the variable must have a bogus value -- the question is how did it get there? We'd need to see the content to figure that out...

whtwulf
Cave Troll

Post by whtwulf »

Now I'm really getting peeved. I created a new character from scratch yesterday and it works fine. Everything functions exactly as it should. However, I began creating another this morning and I'm getting a similar, but subtly different error that still prevents it from working. The one I created yesterday works fine, but the one I was working on this morning does not?! WTF?

::facedesk::

I also found that Veggies framework seems to break down (in my experimentations, anyway) when you actually try to make an attack in b84. That's when the javascript error pops up.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

whtwulf wrote:I also found that Veggies framework seems to break down (in my experimentations, anyway) when you actually try to make an attack in b84. That's when the javascript error pops up.
The scripting language is called "MTscript" (short for MapTool script) but it's definitely not JavaScript! And MapTool itself is written in Java, which is YAPL (Yet Another Programming Language).

It sounds like your tokens have bogus data on them. Care to try the assert command I gave above?

whtwulf
Cave Troll

Post by whtwulf »

This is one of the powers I've input that keeps troubling me. The output I get is
java.lang.NullPointerException error executing expression status = eval(inputStr).
Where does the assess code you provided fit into this, please? As I said, consider me a complete noob when it comes to MTscript.

Code: Select all

<!-- VEGv2.34 Power Macro (DO NOT CHANGE THIS LINE)
-- Do NOT change the Label, Group, Sort Prefix, Button Color, Font Color, or Tool Tip.
-- You may alter the power JSON below, except for the PowerName key. Execute it once to save.
-- Alternatively, click Load a Power Macro and alter it through the dialogs. -->

[H: power = '{
    "PowerName": "Hellish Rebuke",
    "PowerNum": 1,
    "ActionType": 0,
    "Chk_Keywords": 1,
    "Keywords": "Arcane, Fire, Implement",
    "Chk_FlavorText": 1,
    "FlavorText": "You point your finger, and your foe is scoured in hellish flames stoked by your own<br>anger and pain. If you are injured, the flames burst into life one more time before they<br>fade away.",
    "AttackType": 1,
    "Chk_Range": 1,
    "Range": 10,
    "Chk_Requirement": 0,
    "Requirement": "--",
    "Chk_Trigger": 0,
    "Trigger": "--",
    "PrimaryAttack":     {
        "Chk_Target": 1,
        "Target": "One creature",
        "Chk_Attack": 1,
        "Equip": 1,
        "AttackAbility": 2,
        "AttackBonus": 0,
        "VsDefense": 3,
        "Repetitions": 1,
        "Chk_MultiDmgRolls": 1,
        "CritThreshold": 20,
        "Chk_IgnoreProf": 0,
        "Chk_IgnoreLevel": 0,
        "Chk_IgnoreDamage": 0,
        "DmgAbility": 2,
        "DmgDice": 0,
        "DmgBonus": "1d6",
        "DmgBonusMax": 6,
        "DmgType": "fire",
        "AttackAppend": ".",
        "HitAppend": ". If you take damage before the end of your<br>next turn, the target takes an extra 1d6 + Constitution modifier fire damage.",
        "Chk_Miss": 0,
        "Miss": "--"
    },
    "SecondaryAttack":     {
        "Chk_Target": 0,
        "Target": "--",
        "Chk_Attack": 0,
        "AttackAbility": 1,
        "VsDefense": 1,
        "DmgAbility": 1,
        "DmgDice": 2,
        "DmgBonus": 0,
        "DmgBonusMax": 0,
        "DmgType": "untyped",
        "HitAppend": ".",
    },
    "TertiaryAttack":     {
        "Chk_Target": 0,
        "Target": "--",
        "Chk_Attack": 0,
        "AttackAbility": 1,
        "VsDefense": 1,
        "DmgAbility": 1,
        "DmgDice": 2,
        "DmgBonus": 0,
        "DmgBonusMax": 0,
        "DmgType": "untyped",
        "HitAppend": ".",
    },
    "Chk_Effect": 0,
    "Effect": "--",
    "Chk_Sustain": 0,
    "SustainActionType": 0,
    "SustainDesc": "--",
    "Chk_Special": 0,
    "Special": "--",
    "Chk_Custom": 0,
    "CustomLabel": "--",
    "Custom": "--",
    "Chk_CustomCode": 0,
    "CustomCodeDesc": "Target spends a healing surge and regains this much additional HP:",
    "CustomCode": "--",
    "Chk_Supplement": 0,
    "Chk_ShortDescription": 0,
    "ShortDescription": "--",
    "Chk_ToolTip": 1,
    "Group": "*****Standard Actions*****",
    "SortPrefix": 2,
    "MinWidth": 6,
    "Chk_CustomCodeHasTarget": 0,
    "Chk_DisplayFlavorText": 0,
    "FontSize": 0,
    "Chk_Augment": 0,
    "Augment": 0,
    "Chk_Custom2": 0,
    "CustomLabel2": "--",
    "Custom2": "--",
    "Chk_Custom3": 0,
    "CustomLabel3": "--",
    "Custom3": "--",
    "Chk_DisplayTrigger": 0,
    "Chk_DisplayHits": 0,
    "Chk_DisplayMisses": 0,
    "Chk_DisplayEffect": 0,
    "Chk_DisplaySustain": 0,
    "Chk_DisplaySpecial": 0,
    "Chk_DisplayCustomRows": 0,
    "AssState1": "",
    "AssState2": "",
    "AssState3": "",
    "AssState4": "",
    "AssState5": ""
}']

<!-- Extremely hacky way to make apostrophes work. -->
[H: power = replace(power, "`", "'")]

[MACRO('executePowerMacro@Lib:Veg'):power]

whtwulf
Cave Troll

Post by whtwulf »

As I said, I appreciate any and all help. If I seem annoyed, it's only because I have successfully done dozens of tokens without any difficulties whatsoever, until I switched up to a newer version of MT and the framework.

John

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”