[Rumble 5.1.2] Essentials Support?

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

ForteMaster
Kobold

[Rumble 5.1.2] Essentials Support?

Post by ForteMaster »

I'm in the process of making an Essentials Knight token, but I've run into a couple of snags. The Essentials martial stance function is completely undocumented in this version of the framework. What little information I got on the function comes from the other version of the framework, in this post.

There's no function to enable an Essentials-style character in the fat version of the framework, so I just implemented my stances as instructed, enabling the Essentials stance function in power editing - the stances Poised Assault and Defend the Line.

Defend the Line works perfectly - I implemented it as a Utility power, Personal target, with a Slow Effect, and it properly modifies the MBA. However, I couldn't get Poised Assault to work, as it wouldn't accept attack bonuses or damage bonuses when I put them into the attack roll and damage roll fields, as instructed.

I could implement it as a Condition, I suppose, but that means clearing the condition every time I want to change stances, which is a bit inconvenient. Could someone here shed some light on the way Essentials stances are supposed to work?

Edit: I also just noticed that when taking a short or extended rest, the 'Stance' area of the character popup is empty, but the basic attacks still have the Essentials stance applied - meaning there's no ability to 'clear' a stance, which could be something of an oversight.

Edit 2: And now the Stance bar doesn't seem to be clearing at all!

Rumble
Deity

Re: [Rumble 5.1.2] Essentials Support?

Post by Rumble »

Unfortunately, Essentials support in this framework is incomplete. My recommendation is to establish "Defend the Line" and "Poised Assault" as independent at-will attacks (that is, make a power based on the MBA but give it the proper effect, etc.) and use the appropriate one based on the stance you declare to be active. That is probably going to be less grief than any other solution. I may look at this again in the future, but not in the short term.

ForteMaster
Kobold

Post by ForteMaster »

Ah, all right. The effect application works well enough, and I can implement attack and damage bonuses as conditions, so it's more an annoyance than anything else. Thanks for letting me know, though.

And really - thank you for all your hard work on this framework. My players love it, as do I!

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Well, thank you - I do apologize for the Essentials thing - the framework was well-established before Essentials was even on the horizon, so it was a kludge to add it in, and apparently I didn't quite get it right.

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

In my tests, I haven't had too much trouble with the stances working okay for the fighter.

Though, I do hope to move to the slim framework, soon... seems like everything will be a bit easier to manage there.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Well, right now there's a nontrivial amount of grief going on with it, too - info not displaying right, etc. Haven't been able to nail down the bug.

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Well, I spoke too soon. Something happened that made the token powers un-editable... ;) If you need the token I can pass it along, not 100% sure it is essentials related, but based on the actions last night I suspect. The switching of stances still worked out okay, just when I tried to edit the powers it'd give an error about missing a miss: line.

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”