[D&D 4E] Rumble's D&D Combat Framework - Version 4

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Rumble
Deity

[D&D 4E] Rumble's D&D Combat Framework - Version 4

Post by Rumble »

Version 4.1.7_16 : MT 1.3.b66+ - Released 6/14/2010
Follow on Twitter

*** KNOWN ISSUE: Due to the August update of the Monster Builder, which modified all monster formats to fit the new Monster Manual 3 statblock layout, you cannot import monsters from the Monster Builder into this framework. ***

This framework is no longer available. Please see this thread for the latest version.
Last edited by Rumble on Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:55 am, edited 119 times in total.

Rumble
Deity

Re: Room for another 4E Framework?

Post by Rumble »

Edit: this post no longer up to date.
Last edited by Rumble on Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Veggiesama
Dragon

Re: [D&D 4E] Rumble's D&D Combat Framework

Post by Veggiesama »

Looking pretty good. I'm quite impressed with the automatic application of damage and states. Almost had a Diablo feel when I had one token standing next to the goblin, mashing his encounter powers and watching the goblin slowly die all by itself. =P
My D&D 4e Campaign FrameworkMy Shadowrun 4e Campaign Framework
RPGA#: 5223846427 — Skype: Veggiesama — Fear the ferret.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Veggiesama wrote:Looking pretty good. I'm quite impressed with the automatic application of damage and states. Almost had a Diablo feel when I had one token standing next to the goblin, mashing his encounter powers and watching the goblin slowly die all by itself. =P
Thanks!

There's a point at which, I admit, it can become more "video game" and maybe less "rpg," but I get a kick out of it anyway (we tried it both ways, and my players clamored for automatically doing damage). The challenge comes in catching those times when someone can reduce damage through a power, etc. Those still have to be handled case-by-case, because I am not that clever.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Rumble wrote:
Veggiesama wrote:Looking pretty good. I'm quite impressed with the automatic application of damage and states. Almost had a Diablo feel when I had one token standing next to the goblin, mashing his encounter powers and watching the goblin slowly die all by itself. =P
Thanks!

There's a point at which, I admit, it can become more "video game" and maybe less "rpg," but I get a kick out of it anyway (we tried it both ways, and my players clamored for automatically doing damage). The challenge comes in catching those times when someone can reduce damage through a power, etc. Those still have to be handled case-by-case, because I am not that clever.
I thought when we are all talking about this a few months ago every was learning towards macroLink to the GM to apply the damage conditionally? Of course, then it's not automated...
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

I did that for a bit, and asked my players what they thought, and both of them (you can see this isn't exactly a grassroots movement - everything I did was based on feedback from my two players) said they'd prefer to apply damage automatically and fix things manually if they went wrong.

I was ambivalent - applying it conditionally is one more step in the process, but it lets me handle exceptions without having to backtrack. I just went with what my players liked. In our games, at least, more often than not what we wanted was just to apply damage anyway, so we left the manual work for the rare exception and automated the more common events.

Brigand
Read-only User

Post by Brigand »

The output could be simplified and made a little cleaner. I prefer something like:

Brigand: Effects/options when using the attack like shift 1 square.
Target 1: Orc 1 (20 vs AC), dealing 10 damage.
Target 2: Orc 2 (24 vs AC), dealing 8 damage.
Target 3: Orc 3 (14 vs AC), missed.

thecyberwolfe
Dragon

Post by thecyberwolfe »

I agree, especially in low-level games where the Interrupt powers aren't as prevalent. Later on it may be the other way 'round, but this configuration will work better for new groups. As long as your healing macro either doesn't track surges or can toggle that bit, fixing it won't be a problem.

From the standpoint of someone using MT to run a FTF game, being able to just attack the players and have it all sort itself out is a darn nifty tool. I also like the way you have the player stats entered in total, instead of having all the math in the background to calculate them. One less place for stuff to go wrong.
The Cyberwolfe
----------------
Them: "Name one thing a PC can do that a Mac can't!"
Me: "Right-click."

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

The general healing macro has no impact on surges (it's there to handle miscellaneous healing - sometimes you'll catch a bonus from someone that has no bearing on your surges, and other times you need it to fix incorrect damage) so it's viable as a general "fixit" macro for when damage goes wrong.

Thanks for the compliments, too!

Veggiesama
Dragon

Post by Veggiesama »

Rumble wrote:The challenge comes in catching those times when someone can reduce damage through a power, etc. Those still have to be handled case-by-case, because I am not that clever.
Hmm, didn't your framework have some fields for damage resistance, vulnerabilities, and a total multiplier (like 0.5 for half damage)?
My D&D 4e Campaign FrameworkMy Shadowrun 4e Campaign Framework
RPGA#: 5223846427 — Skype: Veggiesama — Fear the ferret.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Veggiesama wrote:
Rumble wrote:The challenge comes in catching those times when someone can reduce damage through a power, etc. Those still have to be handled case-by-case, because I am not that clever.
Hmm, didn't your framework have some fields for damage resistance, vulnerabilities, and a total multiplier (like 0.5 for half damage)?
Yeah, it does - I meant the occasional feature where you force a reroll (thereby possibly negating a hit) or like the Swordmage's ability to reduce the damage a marked target deals to an ally. If it's an always-on reduction/resistance, that's pretty easy - it's when you can elect to say, "No, I want that Orc to reroll his attack," that it's not automated.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Brigand wrote:The output could be simplified and made a little cleaner. I prefer something like:

Brigand: Effects/options when using the attack like shift 1 square.
Target 1: Orc 1 (20 vs AC), dealing 10 damage.
Target 2: Orc 2 (24 vs AC), dealing 8 damage.
Target 3: Orc 3 (14 vs AC), missed.

Sorry, I completely missed this post. I'll look into that; I'm always looking for ways to streamline output!

salmonella
Kobold

Post by salmonella »

Sir,
I am trying to get this setup and so i made a simple monster modeled after the clay scout. I implemented 2 of the attacks: mind touch r10, and bite r1.
For the bite i gave it a bonus of 3 and then tested it several times. I am not sure that the macros are working correctly as I got a result of 2 when that shouldnt be possible:
Clay Scout:
Bite (primary) Target 1: Orsik : (2 vs. AC), miss

Could you perhaps direct me as to what i may be doing incorrectly?
Thank you in advance

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

salmonella wrote:Sir,
I am trying to get this setup and so i made a simple monster modeled after the clay scout. I implemented 2 of the attacks: mind touch r10, and bite r1.
For the bite i gave it a bonus of 3 and then tested it several times. I am not sure that the macros are working correctly as I got a result of 2 when that shouldnt be possible:
Clay Scout:
Bite (primary) Target 1: Orsik : (2 vs. AC), miss

Could you perhaps direct me as to what i may be doing incorrectly?
Thank you in advance

It might be something I did incorrectly! Let me test that out, and see what's up.

Okay, attacks appear to be working correctly for me, so let's backtrack this:

First: when you hover over the result of 2, what does the tooltip say (it should say something like: X (1d20) + Y (attack bonus) + Z ... (where X, Y, and Z are numbers). That tooltip should break down what's happening.

It would be possible to get a 2, even if your bonus was 3, if you had a penalty of some sort (e.g., Roll a 1 on 1d20, + 3 attack bonus, -2 penalty for something = 2). So the question is, are there penalties showing up in the tooltip (such as penalties for range or being marked).

If it is a penalty for range, you'll need to verify that you've set the range properly in the power: a melee attack will be either Normal Range 1, Maximum Range 1, or for creatures with reach, Normal Range 2 Maximum Range 2.

Then, you'll need to make sure that the token isn't marked - if you double click on the token, and go to Properties, you can scroll down the list to see if there is anything in the field for the property "MarkedBy" - if there is, and you didn't attack that target, a penalty will be applied. You can clear out that field by deleting it there, or by selecting the token and hitting the campaign macro "Clear Marks."

Let me know what you find out!

salmonella
Kobold

Post by salmonella »

Rumble wrote: It might be something I did incorrectly! Let me test that out, and see what's up.

Okay, attacks appear to be working correctly for me, so let's backtrack this:

First: when you hover over the result of 2, what does the tooltip say (it should say something like: X (1d20) + Y (attack bonus) + Z ... (where X, Y, and Z are numbers). That tooltip should break down what's happening.

It would be possible to get a 2, even if your bonus was 3, if you had a penalty of some sort (e.g., Roll a 1 on 1d20, + 3 attack bonus, -2 penalty for something = 2). So the question is, are there penalties showing up in the tooltip (such as penalties for range or being marked).

If it is a penalty for range, you'll need to verify that you've set the range properly in the power: a melee attack will be either Normal Range 1, Maximum Range 1, or for creatures with reach, Normal Range 2 Maximum Range 2.

Then, you'll need to make sure that the token isn't marked - if you double click on the token, and go to Properties, you can scroll down the list to see if there is anything in the field for the property "MarkedBy" - if there is, and you didn't attack that target, a penalty will be applied. You can clear out that field by deleting it there, or by selecting the token and hitting the campaign macro "Clear Marks."

Let me know what you find out!
Here is what i found out:
If you have two identically named tokens, for me it was two orsik's, then the targeting macro will apparently choose at seemingly random which target to hit. I did see the range modifier in the attack after you mentioned the tooltip. Once i named the characters uniquely then i was able to get the macro to behave.

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”