[Rumble 5.1.3]: Custom Mods

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Rumble
Deity

Re: [Rumble 5.1.3]: Custom Mods

Post by Rumble »

Colmarr wrote:Very interesting.

My coder player had commented that slow performance was in part due to how much information each token was carrying, and could be improved by moving that information off-token.

The change required to fix that is pretty core to the whole framework though, and I imagine it's a significant amount of work, so followers of this thread shouldn't hold their breath for me to produce it :D
I think it would be easier to write a new framework from the ground up than alter this one to relocate the data. A few days to write a fresh one, and you don't have to contend with countless "whoops, forgot that" and "wtf?" moments.

Doktor Avalanche
Cave Troll

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

One of my players complained that the frame work did not calculate HP, AC, Fort, Initiative etc. automatically when a PC levels up. She had been running a level 4 character with level 2 HP ! So, since she is my wife I played with the framework.

Is there a reason why I should not do the following (speed of framework for instance?):

I changed the Initiative on the Management sheet to be only the non-level based Init Bonuses. The Initiative roll is then If NPC = (d20 + Init bonus) and If PC it is = (d20 + Init bonus + Half level + Dex bonus) PCs only enter Init Bonus when say a feat changes; Dex and level are added automatically.

For the MaxHP, AC etc I changed the properties of MaxHP to be {(Level-1)*HPPerLevel + Constitution + HPFirst} (I added a couple of other properties) so the PC only enters the HP at First level and HP per level once, and from then on HP (and similarly defences ) are calculated automatically. I always import monsters from the compendium, imported monsters just overwrite the formula to set defences and MaxHP equal to a number.

Am I good or have I completely screwed up !! ?
Attachments
Great City 24 feb adj hp b.cmpgn
(3.34 MiB) Downloaded 181 times

StarMan
Dragon

Post by StarMan »

Rumble wrote:I think it would be easier to write a new framework from the ground up than alter this one to relocate the data. A few days to write a fresh one, and you don't have to contend with countless "whoops, forgot that" and "wtf?" moments.
A brlliant idea, Mr Rumble!!! Now why didn't I think of that? Oh wait a minute, actually I did! :lol: ... only it took me several months rather than "A few days". After all, dreaming up things like flank detection, 3-D support, sustainable power handling (and dozens of other features notably absent in your work) ain't easy! But I digress.

Dok, I think you answered your own question here:
Doktor Avalanche wrote:I always import monsters from the compendium, imported monsters just overwrite the formula to set defences and MaxHP equal to a number.
For PCs, why not just use the app-based Character Builder? Just do the regular Summary copy and paste into F5 panel routine. That way you get all the level-dependent stats in one fell swoop, not just initiative. I tell my players to use this method to fully configure their Rumble token for the next level ahead of time. That way the transition is smooth since conversion to MPB is fairly simple.

If you are committed to the online Character Builder then going about things the way you describe should work OK. You will need to add a property to hold the number of HPs the character gets when he levels. You can then write a "Level Up" macro that uses this and other properties holding level-dependent stats. That shouldn't be too hard but you still need to worry about other things like feat and power acquisition. As such, one wonders what the point would be... but I leave that up to your discretion.
StarMan - The MacroPolicebox D&D 4E Framework: Import ANYTHING!

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Edit: Forget it. Not worth the aggro.

Longshot
Giant

Post by Longshot »

FYI:
If you're a DM that uses Rumble Framework V5, and have a DDI account, and want to import NPCs from the compendium with a time-saver tool, my first release of my importer is available here:
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... 21#p242221

All I ask is that you let me know what doesn't import properly to save me the trouble of performing hundreds of test to see what breaks it.

StarMan
Dragon

MPB/Rumble PC Import Bridge

Post by StarMan »

Hey Longshot, I see it’s been over 3 years since you posted this. Who knows if you, your remaining Rumble brethren and the man himself even reads these anymore(?). Regardless, I just wanted to let you know that I finally got around to trying your importer. I tried a few monsters and it’s very impressive stuff indeed! I’m not a fan of importing by regex but your work looks pretty solid. Lifting out the Aftereffect stuff into separate macros is way cool!

Actually, I thought the original F9 importer worked fairly decently so I was wondering why you didn’t tackle the far more useful task of replacing the faulty F5 (doesn’t properly import InitBonus or ability scores from the OCB) and F6 (doesn’t recognize conditions properly, can’t import leader powers, etc) functions for PCs. When my former group tried forcing me to use Rumble, this was the main issue that made me say, “I don’t think so, guys. I’ll write my own, thanks. Count me out.”

That doesn’t mean Rumble is not a seminal work in the annals of MT history. On that note, examination of its origins from a technological perspective was of interest to me in the same way automotive engineers of today might study Henry Ford’s designs from the 1800s. Besides, MPB development has kind of hit a wall in that I simply can’t think of anything else to add to it. By going through the forums, I was able to implement a few of his users’ feature requests I hadn't thought of. I then came across this post from the v4 days:
Rumble wrote:
ScottMcG wrote:
Rumble wrote: It occurs to me just now that the .dnd4e file generated by the Character Builder is just XML, and it contains a fairly clearly tagged set of data that a) would be easy to parse (if tedious) and b) could give you all the details AND the powers with basic to-hit numbers and whatnot.
The problem with the xml data contained in the dnd4e is that it doesn't embed any of the result numbers (as you'd see on the character sheet output),and relies heavily on the code logic in the character builder to generate useful numerical output for things like to-hit and damage for particular power with a particular weapon, and XYZ class feature. Still, it is clean, good xml.
Looking at it again, I'm going to give it a pass. I knew the details weren't there; I was hoping it was easier to read. It's more a performance issue - the XML file is large, and it killed MT once when trying to work with it. The other thing is - and this is just an annoyance thing, but the "basic" portion of the XML (where it puts name, race, level, etc.) doesn't include class. So instead I have to go figure out what ID number each class has...anyway, nice XML file, not worth the effort.
Rather than “give things a pass”, I rub my hands together, crack an evil grin and hiss, “Oooh, a challenge!”. :twisted: My immediate reaction was to say:

Been there.

Done that.

I released that edition of the MPB many years ago. I recall this feature being met with a wall of deafening silence from the Rumble community. That’s OK! I figured that was because most of them had migrated to the MPB camp so it was understandable. When I read the above post, I wondered if it would be possible to paste the MPB into Rumble’s campaign and call those routines directly. I had a few hours to kill so I came up with this:

MPB/Rumble PC Import Bridge

The first procedure on that page is represented by the videos you see above. The second is the brand new "Rumble native" method which you can try out … or not. Either method should address Avalanche’s concerns above nicely. I fully expect a second wall of deafening silence but since this was merely a technical POC experiment then that’s still OK. The important thing is you and I have made advanced, relatively bug-free NPC and PC importing a reality for DDI users under Rumble.
Rumble wrote:Edit: Forget it. Not worth the aggro.
Sorry dude, it’s nothing personal and didn’t mean to offend. Just like you superseded the 4e offerings before you, so have I done now. There’s no shame in that and it doesn’t lessen your or their contributions. Thanks for reading.
Last edited by StarMan on Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StarMan - The MacroPolicebox D&D 4E Framework: Import ANYTHING!

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Colmarr wrote:
Kryx wrote:Using Chrome it is exactly as you described in the first paragraph.
Huh, so it works in Chrome? Ok, must be a browser thing then.
At least: chrome, exploder, firefox and safari. Makes me wonder which browser you're using.

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”