DeviantNull Framework - Quick question on combat

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

bnason
Kobold

DeviantNull Framework - Quick question on combat

Post by bnason »

Just started playing around with MapTools - does DeviantNull's framework automate combat like Rumble's? I've been trying to get it to work as such, but can't figure out how to make it happen.

EDIT: Added screenshot of what I see in chat. I edited the power to do 3d6 damage with main hand weapon, added weapon and equipped it, and have the target set as an NPC token. However, that token isn't taking dmg when used as the target.
Attachments
dnattack.jpg
dnattack.jpg (18.8 KiB) Viewed 7658 times

mfrizzell
Dragon

Re: DeviantNull Framework - Quick question on combat

Post by mfrizzell »

nope it doesn't.

You'll probably get a quicker response if you post your questions regarding DN framework in his thread where the DN junkies reside :D
DCI/RPGA# 7208328396 Skype ID mfrizzell77
Characters:
Strabor - Dwarf Avenger 5th Level
Tikkanan - Human Warlock 2nd Level
----------------------------------------------------
"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."

bnason
Kobold

Post by bnason »

Thanks for the reply, will direct future DN questions there.

So ... what happens instead? You do the power/attack rolls from the char sheet, then manually apply the damage? That seems so ... manual. :)

mfrizzell
Dragon

Post by mfrizzell »

Sorry to say it is a manual operation.
If you want it to be automatic you have to go with Rumbles or a video game.
DCI/RPGA# 7208328396 Skype ID mfrizzell77
Characters:
Strabor - Dwarf Avenger 5th Level
Tikkanan - Human Warlock 2nd Level
----------------------------------------------------
"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."

bnason
Kobold

Post by bnason »

Like WOW? Can I haz more raiding!? :)

Naw, it's cool. I actually like that fact. DN's framework feels more like a real tabletop game; some of the other frameworks actually seem MORE complicated by trying to automate the combat. Ie., in doing more, they really don't offer more - they detract. I'm a newb so that's not a slam - all the frameworks are great. But I like the simplicity of DN's. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Thanks!

kkragenbrink
Cave Troll

Post by kkragenbrink »

Ironically, of the three main frameworks, I like DNs the best in terms of coding style, and have been sorta learning from it for my own. Which ... (here's that irony I was mentioning) ... is totally manual. It doesn't even do the rolling for you. My players hate auto-rollers; they complain that it feels like they aren't playing D&D that way. They like the "tactile feel of the dice", even if it's +roll. I keep debating making some dice tables and getting them a proper roller with toss animations or something.

zgrose
Cave Troll

Post by zgrose »

You can apply damage semi-automatically.

The standard attack process is:

1: click your attack.
2: note if the attack hit or not.
3: if you want to apply damage (or a condition), click the target to take the damage and then click the underlined damage link in the chat output.
4: you'll get HP change dialog with the value already in the right place.
5: click ok.

Lets you apply all those one-off exceptions and whatnot nicely.

Venatius
Dragon

Post by Venatius »

In addition to what Zgrose says, you can semi-automatically apply conditions in a similar fashion. Pretty much anything that's underlined in this framework can be clicked to some effect or another. It's not automatic, but it comes pretty close, actually, and it does allow on-the-fly adjustments for unusual circumstances (which come up so often in D&D that I believe it's the main reason DN didn't wanna go with automation anyway).

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”