The MacroPolicebox: Second Regeneration (D&D 4E Framework)

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

StarMan
Dragon

Re: The MacroPolicebox: Second Regeneration (D&D 4E Framewor

Post by StarMan »

Good answers Slayve but I have a few things to add. First of all, I strongly recommend getting a DDI account as you will save yourself enormous amounts of data entry work. I admire your dedication in entering the stuff manually but it really is more trouble than it's worth. If it's a matter of cost then split that with your group and share the login credentials. Only one person at a time will be able to use it but you can work out a schedule for that.

The "Immediate Used" state doesn't always mean you have used an Immediate power. It is there during your turn to keep you from using one. As you may know, this is not allowed by the rules. Yes, I know there could be a more elegant and less confusing way to automate this mechanic but as Slayve pointed out, it's harmless.
Xelciu wrote:2.Powers that deal damage on next attack or add damage to any attack made on the target. I've tried to add vulnerability all state on them since damagemod doesn't seem to affect damage the target takes. Unfortunately it behaves weirdly not ending when prompted to. I've tried on attack (which never ends) and on end (of turn, which end when the target turn ends).
Bravo, Xelciu! Vlnrbl_All indeed does not work. I have given you credit for finding this bug on the "SR Release Notes" page of the site. This is one of those "I can't believe we got this far without anyone noticing" bugs {Insert StarMan face palm here}. Please download SL 28 (now available) and that block of code should work properly (although you shouldn't need the "Conditions=Target:Token ;" part.

I don't understand the rest of that statement. Are you saying changes to the GenDamMod property aren't being reflected in your attacks? Can you give a step-by-step example?

Yes, use Single=1 in the code as Slayve explained but if you are using the editing dialog then specify "One creature" in the Target field on the second tab.

Exactly right with the quick button understanding. That is why I don't like quick buttons! Their introduction was a concession to my group who likes using them. Please go through the menus to run your powers unless that is proving overly tedious for your most used ones. Even then, try to limit them to At-Wills.

In earlier editions of the code, healing surges were automatic. Slayve is correct in that you should have the choice.
StarMan - The MacroPolicebox D&D 4E Framework: Import ANYTHING!

StarMan
Dragon

Post by StarMan »

Slayve2DnD wrote:Hey quick question StarMan, my group may run into a Altar of Zealotry in the next map, I need to make their At-will's able to target allies (or would it be easier to change them to NPC mode while dominated?) for when they are dominated. There will be an elite enemy in this same encounter so whatever way will be easiest to manage the dominated power usage.
Try using "Toggle Target All Mode" described at the end of this page.

Xelciu
Kobold

Post by Xelciu »

Thank you for all the useful information, now I have better understanding of the framework features.
Not only that, just the "Single=1" code line helped me immensely in creating a lot of different powers.
New questions arose and first of them is how do I upgrade the release without loosing all the tokens? Should I just save them and drop onto a new campaign file?

And here's a new batch of problems:
1. Healing surge value bonus, since me bard has song of rest and I would like to automate the process.
Is it possible to mod the surge macro for a popup window of bonus surge value?
I was also playing with togglable effects with no success, doesn't seem to have correct target recognition coded on it.

Code: Select all

[MACRO("Banner@Lib:MacroPolicebox"): "Power="+getMacroName()+"; FlavorText=You plink and we rest; PowerSpecs=At-Will &diams Arcane, Healing<br>No action,  Close burst 10; Attack=Feature; Type="+Class+" Feature 1"; Range="+10+"]

<b>Effect:</b> [MACRO("Choose Targets@Lib:MacroPolicebox"): "Prompt=Song of Rest Effect Text ; "] Each target gains your Charisma modifier <b>([r: Cha])</b> to healng surge value<br>
[h:varsFromStrProp(macro.return)]

[MACRO("Register Effect@Lib:MacroPolicebox"): "Name=Song of Rest-Surge Bonus ; Property=SurgeSpecBonus ; Mod=4 ; Duration=Toggle ; Token="+AllHits]
2. You mentioned about a group barbarian, well I have a berserker and I wonder how do you do multihitting powers like vault of the fallen where you can choose one or two targets.
Easiest solution I came up with is just click the quick button many times.

3. Not only that, berserker can fling into rage which gives bonus d8 on each attack. Now if I slap GenDamMod on him with d8 it's gonna roll once and then apply that all the time, so temporally there's a bonus d8 button. Is it possible for the frame to slap a rage effect on the barbarian and then each power will have a link to check for that state and roll bonus damage if it's present?
My other idea (which I also don't know if it's possible) was a question popup window like the one confirming damage so he could confirm or deny being enraged.

4. There's a power which moves the enemy to new position and then applies slow on anyone adjacent to him. As always can be solved with just a small burst slow and no damage but I was wondering...
Is it possible for the framework to have another attack macro after IFallhits? So it would move the token and then apply burst slow.

5. Shamans are a headache, if you have any in your groups please share. Mine is currently having all the spirit powers as ranged attacks and many minibuttons for all the "if next to spirit..." powers.

6. Can I have one macro recognize friendly-enemy state and then deal damage to baddies and buff the allies?

Terribly sorry for all the open questions, as I stated before I don't have programming experience so without code samples I can't figure it out.

Slayve2DnD
Dragon

Post by Slayve2DnD »

For upgrading to the next framework I usually set all the tokens I want to take to the new one on a single map (empty or one you want in the campaign) and export the map then import it into the upgraded framework version.

As for the berserker rage giving a d8 extra damage, you could make a duplicate of the power and edit it's name to be Berserk "powername" where powername is the power name and no " " then stick this line at the top:

[h:assert(state.Raging, "You must be Raging to use this power.")]
Give him a Raging state toggle power and add the +1d8 in the Damage=
I'm not retarded...I'm a simple creature...there is a difference.

Slayve2DnD
Dragon

Post by Slayve2DnD »

StarMan I got some feedback for you. I spit on my hands and picked up the sledgehammer again.

1> Bug in sl 27 when NPC prompting is OFF npc's can't hit pc's even with a roll 10 over what they need to hit.

I had rolled a 42 vs 31 AC and it said I missed while prompting was off. Turned the prompting back on and forced a 32 total and it hit.

2> End Encounter (SL27)(I hadn't short rested my players yet) and got prompted for Next Map which I hit cancel for, no xp or anything rewarded in chat window. Went to hit End Encounter again hoping I could just click the map we were on already and this showed up:

Next Map prompt was aborted.
Macro-defined error: No PC participants found. Run Begin Encounter first.

I ended up manually fixing their EXP and short resting them (by the way 4/6 of them got infected by the filth fever - 2 were lucky and made the save).

I thought I had more for you but it turns out that was my fault in the server starting not marking strict token ownership etc.

StarMan
Dragon

Post by StarMan »

Excellent catch as always, Slayve. Yes, you're right on both counts. The first is a fairly simple fix but I suspect the second will still apply the XP and AP despite not displaying the RE lines. Either way, I agree these are unacceptable defects so they will be fixed in SL 29. In the meantime, you have already discovered the workaround for the first problem (keep prompting on) and don't hit Cancel when asked about maps.
Slayve2DnD wrote:For upgrading to the next framework I usually set all the tokens I want to take to the new one on a single map (empty or one you want in the campaign) and export the map then import it into the upgraded framework version.

As for the berserker rage giving a d8 extra damage, you could make a duplicate of the power and edit it's name to be Berserk "powername" where powername is the power name and no " " then stick this line at the top:

[h:assert(state.Raging, "You must be Raging to use this power.")]
Give him a Raging state toggle power and add the +1d8 in the Damage=
When creating the power you can use the "My state must be" field on the second tab which will automatically add the line you mention. To make a duplicate power with the extra d8, just use FL->Rebuild Power and modify the Damage field.

StarMan
Dragon

Post by StarMan »

Xelciu wrote:Thank you for all the useful information, now I have better understanding of the framework features.
Not only that, just the "Single=1" code line helped me immensely in creating a lot of different powers.
New questions arose and first of them is how do I upgrade the release without loosing all the tokens? Should I just save them and drop onto a new campaign file?

And here's a new batch of problems:
1. Healing surge value bonus, since me bard has song of rest and I would like to automate the process.
Is it possible to mod the surge macro for a popup window of bonus surge value?
I was also playing with togglable effects with no success, doesn't seem to have correct target recognition coded on it.

[MACRO("Banner@Lib:MacroPolicebox"): "Power="+getMacroName()+"; FlavorText=You plink and we rest; PowerSpecs=At-Will &diams Arcane, Healing<br>No action,  Close burst 10; Attack=Feature; Type="+Class+" Feature 1"; Range="+10+"]

<b>Effect:</b> [MACRO("Choose Targets@Lib:MacroPolicebox"): "Prompt=Song of Rest Effect Text ; "] Each target gains your Charisma modifier <b>([r: Cha])</b> to healng surge value<br>

[MACRO("Register Effect@Lib:MacroPolicebox"): "Name=Song of Rest-Surge Bonus ; Property=SurgeSpecBonus ; Mod=4 ; Duration=Toggle ; Token="+AllHits]
2. You mentioned about a group barbarian, well I have a berserker and I wonder how do you do multihitting powers like vault of the fallen where you can choose one or two targets.
Easiest solution I came up with is just click the quick button many times.

3. Not only that, berserker can fling into rage which gives bonus d8 on each attack. Now if I slap GenDamMod on him with d8 it's gonna roll once and then apply that all the time, so temporally there's a bonus d8 button. Is it possible for the frame to slap a rage effect on the barbarian and then each power will have a link to check for that state and roll bonus damage if it's present?
My other idea (which I also don't know if it's possible) was a question popup window like the one confirming damage so he could confirm or deny being enraged.

4. There's a power which moves the enemy to new position and then applies slow on anyone adjacent to him. As always can be solved with just a small burst slow and no damage but I was wondering...
Is it possible for the framework to have another attack macro after IFallhits? So it would move the token and then apply burst slow.

5. Shamans are a headache, if you have any in your groups please share. Mine is currently having all the spirit powers as ranged attacks and many minibuttons for all the "if next to spirit..." powers.

6. Can I have one macro recognize friendly-enemy state and then deal damage to baddies and buff the allies?

Terribly sorry for all the open questions, as I stated before I don't have programming experience so without code samples I can't figure it out.
Great questions, Xelciu! Let's get right into it. Upgrading is as simple as replacing the MPB token in the campaign you have built using the new one you have downloaded. To be extra sure, download the properties file and import them as well. I also fixed the Skill Challenge and Trap tokens one or two service levels ago so use the new SL 28 versions if you need them.

I know you said you aren't a programmer so let me know if any of the following seems crazy:

1. I am guessing you have a DDI account and are importing your CB file. Even if you are building the Bard's Song of Rest class ability from scratch, do so as an encounter attack power that targets allies. I know that sounds strange but stay with me on this one. Put the attack bonus as "51" and leave the damage as 0. You can then use FL->Append RE Block to create an Allies block which contains the RE line at the end of the code you posted. Here's how mine turned out:

[h:varsFromStrProp("Targets=;"+macro.args)]
[MACRO("Attack Power@Lib:MacroPolicebox"): "Power="+getMacroName()+"; FlavorText=Your flavor text here.; PowerSpecs=<b>Encounter &diams Healing<br>No action,  </b>Close burst 10; Attack=auto vs. AC; Type="+Class+" Attack 26; Range="+10+"; Select=Allies; IncludeSelf=1; AttackAdjustment=51; Targets="+Targets]

[IF(AllHits!=""), CODE: {
    When you play an instrument or sing during a short rest, you and each ally who can hear you are affected by your Song of Rest. When an affected character spends healing surges at the end of the rest, that character regains additional hit points equal to your Charisma modifier <b>([r: Cha])</b> with each healing surge. A character can be affected by only one Song of Rest at a time<br>
};{}]
[IF(Allies!=""), CODE: {
    [MACRO("Register Effect@Lib:MacroPolicebox"): "Name=SONG OF REST-NULL ; Property=SurgeSpecBonus ; Mod=Cha ; Duration=Encounter ; Link=Self ; Token="+Allies+","+getName()]
};{}] 
Notice the "Link=Self" option being used. This tells us the Cha value belongs to your Bard rather than the token the effect is being registered on. Run this macro before your party takes a SR. They can then run the Surge macro before SR. Yes, I could pop up an extra field to accept ad hoc bonuses to the surge but this is the customary way. To keep things simpler, you could just do the healing separately by setting the Damage field to "-Cha" and forgetting FL->Append RE Block altogether. Either way, notice the "+getName()" option which allows the bard to get in on the action too.

2. Here is what looks like when you import it:

[h:varsFromStrProp("Targets=;"+macro.args)]
[MACRO("Attack Power@Lib:MacroPolicebox"): "Power="+getMacroName()+"; FlavorText=You leap from one foe to the next, leaving blood in your wake.; PowerSpecs=<b>Encounter &diams Primal, Weapon<br>Standard,  </b>Melee weapon; Attack=melee vs. AC; Type="+Class+" Attack 1; Single=1; AttackAdjustment=Str; Targets="+Targets]

<b>Effect:</b> If you target two creatures, you can shift 1 square after the first attack. Thaneborn Triumph: The number of squares you can shift equals your Charisma modifier <b>([r: Cha])</b>.<br>

1MHW + 1d6 + Strength modifier <b>([r: Str])</b> damage.<br>
};{}] 
Now let's use this method to change it like so:

[MACRO("Attack Power@Lib:MacroPolicebox"): "Power="+getMacroName()+"; FlavorText=You leap from one foe to the next, leaving blood in your wake.; PowerSpecs=<b>Encounter &diams Primal, Weapon<br>Standard,  </b>Melee weapon; Attack=melee vs. AC; Type="+Class+" Attack 1; Single=1; AttackAdjustment=Str"]
[MACRO("Move to Token@Lib:MacroPolicebox"): "Range=1"]
[MACRO("Attack Power@Lib:MacroPolicebox"): "Power="+getMacroName()+"; FlavorText=You leap from one foe to the next, leaving blood in your wake.; PowerSpecs=<b>Encounter &diams Primal, Weapon<br>Standard,  </b>Melee weapon; Attack=melee vs. AC; Type="+Class+" Attack 1; Single=1; AttackAdjustment=Str"]

<b>Effect:</b> If you target two creatures, you can shift 1 square after the first attack. Thaneborn Triumph: The number of squares you can shift equals your Charisma modifier <b>([r: Cha])</b>.<br>

1MHW + 1d6 + Strength modifier <b>([r: Str])</b> damage.<br>
};{}] 
If there is only one target, then just put the ABOS directly on the barbarian (so he doesn't move) and then just intentionally miss with the second attack. You can also make things a bit fancier where a prompt can ask how many targets there are and then take the appropriate action.

3. In your Rage macro, include this line:

[MACRO("Register Effect@Lib:MacroPolicebox"): "Name=Rage Bonus ; Property= GenDamMod ; Mod=1d8 ; Duration=Attack"] 
Run this before each attack while raging and the bonus will automatically turn itself off when you finish. If you want to control when it shuts off, then set "Duration=Toggle" and run the macro again when done. Slayve did a good job of answering your question about detecting the Raging state so I endorse his advice.

4. What "slow" power are you referring to? Yes, you can launch another macro from your AllHits block. Again, just use FL->Append RE Block to add an AllHits block. Specify an effect (it can be "harmless" as explained in my training video) and then click OK for a branching link. Use "Move to Token" as above to move when you want to.

5. For your shaman, you can use this macro to see if your SC (let's call him "Spot") is beside you and then define it as an Attack trigger:

[h,MACRO("Choose Targets@Lib:MacroPolicebox"): "ErrorCheck=0; Select=Allies"]
[h,IF(listContains(macro.return, "Spot")), CODE:
{
    [MACRO("Register Effect@Lib:MacroPolicebox"): "Name=Spot Adjacent ; State=Reminder1 ; Duration=Attack"]
}] 
In your track powers you can then use "{IF(state.Reminder1) …" statements to selectively apply different modifiers. Give an example of a shaman power you had in mind.

6. Yes. Again, give me the power you have in mind and I will show you how.

Never apologize for asking questions as I love working out problems like this! Slayve has asked many questions and he is now probably the biggest MPB expert on these forums. I believe very passionately in my work and get a kick out of the fact it is bringing so much enjoyment to people's games so keep them coming ...

Chief
Kobold

Post by Chief »

Is it possible to import PC powers one at a time and if so, how would I go about doing that.

Using my DDI account to create a PC character, exporting the character, and then importing it into the framework is working very well. However occasionally I will get prompted for input under category of AttackType or TermTotal, but I am unable to figure out which power it relates to. Being able to import the powers one at time, would allow me to know which power exactly I was working with.

Thanks

Chief

Slayve2DnD
Dragon

Post by Slayve2DnD »

PDF is your best bet for single power importing imo. OR if you want to dig through the xml of the character import file and find the individual powers...

With a DDI account you can pull up the powers individually right?

StarMan
Dragon

Post by StarMan »

Thanks for the feedback Chief … but that stuff shouldn't be happening at all. If I were to theorize I would say the importer is confused over a weird mathematical expression that it is trying to parse such as "Srt + 2". Don't laugh, I have seen stranger screw-ups in the Compendium! If you like, you can send me the CB file in question and I can take a look.

To answer your question, watch how I import the Dragonfrost power and follow the same steps. Of course, you can (and should!) get the source text from the Compendium rather than a PDF. You should also go through this section of the site if you have not done so.

By the way, I should mention that the duplicate creation part of the monster import process is flawed. It will create the duplicates but not include "End My Turn" macros (although you may import those from other tokens if you like). This bug is rectified in SL 29 which will be out by the end of the month. In the meantime, use the F2 process to create duplicates as illustrated in the skeleton warrior video.

Chief
Kobold

Post by Chief »

Thanks for the feedback, I noticed the missing "End My Turn" and then used the F2 to make the duplicate monsters.

What do you mean by CB file? Just watched the video again, I will give that a try.

Thanks again for the rapid response.

Chief

StarMan
Dragon

Post by StarMan »

Chief wrote:What do you mean by CB file?
The file you export from Character Builder. I would like to try importing your character so I can figure out where it breaks.

Chief
Kobold

Post by Chief »

How do you want me to get the CB file to you Starman?

Chief

StarMan
Dragon

Post by StarMan »

You can attach it to your next post here or in a private message if you don't want anyone else to download it. How many times have you been prompted for TermTotal out of how many characters? Have you come across other issues we have not discussed as yet?

Chief
Kobold

Post by Chief »

I get it almost every time I try to import this guy. (attached file)

I was able to successfully use the PC Power Import option to get it to work. But then I haven't figured out how to get the racial abilities and feats imported, however if I import everything at once, the racial and feats seem to come in alright.

Thanks,

Chief
Attachments
Doozey.txt
(156.81 KiB) Downloaded 38 times

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”