4e interactive sheet & utilities

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Zulithe
Kobold

Re: 4e interactive sheet & utilities

Post by Zulithe »

This is really incredible DeviantNull. I don't have much to add at this point, just wanted to thank you for your hard work. It isn't going unnoticed. Please continue!

Simplyme
Cave Troll

Post by Simplyme »

Hey, yeah, Thank you for sharing!

My group uses two or three different macro sets cause noone can agree on anything.

I think we've all switched to this one already, just cause its so simple, easy to use, and all the values and powers and everything are right there in front of you!
its great!

DeviantNull
Dragon

Post by DeviantNull »

Got the revised version up. Should be bug free unless I missed one in a crash that I didn't test after I restored. I ran the majority of things right before uploading, but given all that it does I do miss stuff.

First, it's not immediately compatible with previous tokens. I slightly tweaked the powers entry to better support NPC's who shouldn't have to fiddle with having weapon values. When you select a power it'll prompt for critical values, just ignore and keep hitting ok, it should only ask a few times and then display, though it will have 0's for the crit information. Edit the power and it will prompt again, so just repeat ignoring it. Once the power editor is open if there are any values in the critical information you can just blank them out. Save and you're done. You have to do it for every power... You also could just edit the token and add PCrit=; PCrit2=; PCritDamage=; PCritDamage2=; to the power entries directly on the token.

I also redesigned how melee/range/burst/blast interact and display. There's now a drop down range type that lets you select from all the different range type options, plus a 2 and 3 reach range for monsters. For previously ranged powers, just select range or ranged weapon (to display weapon range).

I cleaned up the variable attack ability code to better support quick use and memory of last ability used. Multi-attacks now default to 1 attack if used with out an option box. Added a combat checkbox for Long Range and Marked (for use if you want the -2 for attacking a non-marking target).

Rituals and Magic Items got a tweak that's more annoying to repair. I totally forgot you need the market price for Rituals when doing scrolls, so now there's an entry for that. But it got added early in the list so it throws the whole thing out of whack when viewed or edited. It's the third entry right after component value and before category. You can either completely redo the entry or load the whole string into a text editor and just add it in.

Magic Items... I completely over looked the fact that + is a function and if you tried to make a Long Sword + 1 it would try to add 1 to Sword and then just get confused and store the string and make it inaccessible. So, I added a Plus entry and it automatically displays after the name. But it needs to be added to the string. It's the second in the list right after level. Same annoying procedure as fixing rituals.

I also added an unarmed weapon value that isn't directly viewable that defaults to no proficiency bonus and 1d4 damage. If a PC token unequips a weapon they default to that. NPC's default to empty weapon strings.

All rolls are now accessible directly from the sheet. Name still does a quick roll, but the value now will prompt for a modifier to add/subtract from it. Added saving throws to the health dialog box, if dying death save becomes an option so you can enter a modifier if you need too.

Added info links for skills. The ? goes to a macro on the Lib:Information token and displays whatever is stored in the macro of the skill name. They're all empty because I ain't about to put in game info. But YOU can.

I also tweaked the way weapons, armor, rituals, and a few other things display. Also I think I got all the dialog boxes to open to be able to view their full contents on first open. Most of them scale to box size to help with entry. Due to height being buggy, they're all squares. I'll shape 'em better once it works correctly. Also, TextArea's are still 1 line only. Maybe someday...

I included a few orcs to show how to set things up for monsters. I think I have something for almost all the permutations except for double attacks. Which are just like single attacks except you can assign 2 different weapons to the attacks or two different sets of modifiers for attack and damage. Thus it works for rangers and also for things like Passing Attack where you make an attack and then make a second attack (we just ask where the fighter is going if the first attack hits before he uses it). There are still a few out there power combinations it just can't do. Pretty much anything that is 3 or more attacks that isn't similar to an area multi-attack.

I also left my full mini-statsheet in. I only did that since I think I include almost everything you'd want and by looking at the campaign properties in the StatSheet section you can see what some of the properties are named if you wanted to redo it to something that more suits your game.

I'm working on an NPC sheet that will resemble the statblocks from the books and be smaller, consolidate the information, and make all important stuff immediately accessible. All the under the hood stuff should be recyclable, so I doubt I'll need to change any mechanics.
Last edited by DeviantNull on Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeviantNull
Dragon

Post by DeviantNull »

Quick stand alone post to talk about how the weapons and powers work. Everything else is pretty straight forward and I think is pretty obvious in the output what totaled what.

Weapon proficiency and damage bonuses add to the value of any power that is set to use it's equipment slot. So this is a good place to stick weapon only bonuses, such as magic weapons (obviously) as well as things like Weapon Focus that only apply to that one weapon. I stuck range as it's own entry since it modifies all powers that are melee weapon based. No support yet for 2 handed, off hand, or versatile yet. Weapon range will show on powers that are Ranged Weapon type.

Power attack values add the selected ability + 1/2 level + what ever is entered into the bonus value. If you set to none, it adds nothing except the bonus. Use this for monsters if you just want to put in a flat attack value. Power damage values work the same way except it doesn't add 1/2 level. For things that directly modify a powers values, such as Lasting Frost or something, put them directly in the power bonuses.

If set to variable you can change it when using it. So for a basic attack you can set it to variable and select dex or str depending on if you're hitting or shooting. It remembers the last values used and defaults to those, even if you use the quick link to just fire off the power. If no value has been selected it defaults to 0.

Power damage dice over ride weapon damage dice. If you put in 3d6 for the power and your weapon is equipped in a slot the power uses and it's a 1d10, it's going to just use the 3d6 for the power. For implements just enter in a proficiency and a damage bonus and leave the damage blank. Just lforget weapons entirely for monsters if you want. If you select 'no weapon' for the hand to use it won't even show 'No Weapon' on the power used where the weapon info would be displayed.

Power damage dice are also a weapon damage dice multiplier. If you enter in just 1 number it will multiply the number of weapon dice rolled by that amount. So if your weapon is 1d10 and for the power you put in 2, it will roll 2d10.

Critical range/value is the number that you have to roll equal to or higher then to score a critical hit. Just enter in the lowest number applicable (blank entries are treated as 20). So if you crit on a 18-20, put in 18. Critical Damage is the extra damage you do on a critical. If your magic weapon does +1d8 on a crit, put in 1d8. It should accept multiple values so you can put in things like 1d8+4. It will max all other regular values and then roll that amount. Powers add to Weapon values when it comes to critical damage. I can't recall any powers that do extra critical damage on their own, but I couldn't be sure and monsters need a way to put in their critical info in, so that's what I went with. In the case of critical ranges, it uses which ever is lower. If your weapon crits on a 20 and the power on a 18, it will use the 18 when you use the power.

If you put in a value for burst or blast it will call it a Close Burst/Blast unless there's a range value. No effect other then cosmetic.

For Recharge, if you put in just a single number this is the number or higher it has to roll to recharge. Anything else and it's ignored in recharge rolls and can manually be recharged by opening the power and clicking recharge. On the power sheet each recharge link just makes a recharge roll for all powers that can recharge. Only encounter powers are checked in recharge rolls. Monsters don't normally have dailies.

Given the way I store powers/weapons/armor, if you delete an entry the 'slot' it was in stays open and available. The next new one you add goes into the first available empty slot. This is handy for reordering them in a specific order, by copying old ones and entering in new ones.

Magic items, rituals, consumables, feats, and class/race features are just one big long list. New entries are just added to the end and there's no way to automatically reorder them. They're also stored via item name. If you edit one and rename it you should end up with two entries, the old one and the new one.

Powers/weapons/armor are still stored using semi-colons. Big overhaul to change unfortunately. Makes me sad. As such, you can't use ; in any entry for a power/weapon/armor. Totally sucks.

Oh, since there's no link between magic items and weapons we tend to put entries for the weapons on the power list, especially for ones that do extra damage on their own when you use their encounter or daily power. That way it rolls the dice. It tracks THIS usage as a power and not as an item. Use both? Magic Items are relatively new code that i threw together in a caffeine fueled haze while watching episodes of naruto shippuden and I didn't really work out how how to best utilize them. But hey, they're in there!

Just a reminder to put a space for notes and gm notes. I hate that. I wrote the stupid thing and I still forget it and wonder why it won't load. Can't imagine how confusing it'd be for new folks.

That's all I can think of. Happy to answer any questions if anyone is having problems. I also would love any sort of feed back or usability suggestions. I'm still fine tuning the best way to use it myself as I GM with it.

PinkRose
Dragon

Post by PinkRose »

Impressive work. I haven't worked with it yet, but it sure looks good.
I am a special snowflake!

Sepp
Dragon

Post by Sepp »

Very nice; I think I'll be using this in my next game. Just a quick question, though.

Powers like Acid Arrow require rolling secondary attack and damage. Maybe I am just missing how to do this in the same power; put I want the first attack to hit 1 creature, and the second attack to hit multiple.

DeviantNull
Dragon

Post by DeviantNull »

Sepp wrote:Very nice; I think I'll be using this in my next game. Just a quick question, though.

Powers like Acid Arrow require rolling secondary attack and damage. Maybe I am just missing how to do this in the same power; put I want the first attack to hit 1 creature, and the second attack to hit multiple.
1 Primary and Multiple Secondary are something that i haven't figured out how to do easily yet. I'm thinking I should be able to build a configuration that uses attack 1 as the primary and info for attack 2 as the values for the multiple code, but it's harder and I'm lazy. Most of the stuff under the hood I wrote a while back and just cleaned it up and put a better interface on it. 1, 2, and single multiattack were easy to write.

I've been building them as two powers, one for the main attack and a multiple for the secondary effect.

On another note, I made improvements to the general layout in an effort to get it smaller. Mostly by shrinking some of the spacing on the tables and remove the extra columns from the skill list (with an optional full view as before). Also had the revelation that I can store sheet configuration info on the token itself so I can make it remember the last page that was opened as well as toggling the weapon/item tabs open and shut and having them stay. Also putting the finishing touches on the NPC version that resembles the block out of the books.

Should have it posted later today. Nothing changes under the hood though (aside from 2 new campaign props), so it's plug and play.

PinkRose
Dragon

Post by PinkRose »

Just wanted you to know that we got this working after the game last night.
Very impressed. Can't wait to see the NPC sheet. Please keep up the work.

A couple of favors. Don't know how difficult this is or even if this could be an option.
I and my players use HP that go down, rather then damage that goes up.
Is that something you could easily make an option or give us a different token?
And finally, having all the defenses; AC, Foritude, Reflex, Will, on separate lines in the little token hover over window make it easier for me as a DM to see if someone was hit. Just an opinion of one user.
If you can do that for us, we would be extremely thrilled. If not, well, we'll probably wither away and die. :)
I am a special snowflake!

DeviantNull
Dragon

Post by DeviantNull »

PinkRose wrote:A couple of favors. Don't know how difficult this is or even if this could be an option.
I and my players use HP that go down, rather then damage that goes up.
Is that something you could easily make an option or give us a different token?
And finally, having all the defenses; AC, Foritude, Reflex, Will, on separate lines in the little token hover over window make it easier for me as a DM to see if someone was hit. Just an opinion of one user.
If you can do that for us, we would be extremely thrilled. If not, well, we'll probably wither away and die. :)
The mini-stat sheet you get when you hover over the token? That's easy to change. I left mine in so folks can change it to what ever they want. I think I have most of the common stuff on there to make it easier to find the property names....

There's a section in the campaign properties tagged ---StatSheet-- it's going to be the only sections whose entries start with *. That's all the stuff that shows on the hover over.

I did it as a separate damage hp line because I like to show damage taken to monsters but not their HP. That particular bit of code is old, so its' sort of a hold over. Easy enough to change though.

replacing the HP line in the sheet with

Code: Select all

*HP:{HitPoints-CurrentDamage+"/"+HitPoints+if(TempHP >0, "/"+TempHP, "")}
and then just drop the damage line. That will show Hitpoints minus any damage then total HP and if TempHP are greater then 0 those will show as well.

For the Fort/Ref/Will just delete

Code: Select all

*@Fort/Ref/Will:{Fort}/{Ref}/{Will}
and put *@Fort *@Ref *@Will on separate lines just like *@AC is. * is show and @ is visible by owner only, so adjust any other entries you choose. If you don't want an entry, just delete it. I like having quick access to passive perception and insight for example, but you might not need it. Also, minor bug, Action Points are visible to everyone atm, just put a @ on the entry.

If you need/can't find a particular value or want a specific configuration or something, I'm happy to share. This is likely to happen to if you want to add stuff to the properties list. I tried to avoid common words, but it happened in a few places because I was still learning. And naming a property after a value that's used somewhere else in the code makes things go wonky. I speak from experience. :D

Sepp
Dragon

Post by Sepp »

Possible bug: When adding to Race Features or Class Features: Adding a third to either of these brings up the second feature. That is, if I have entered Draconic Heritage, Dragonborn Fury, and then Dragon Breath, trying to entire Dragon Breath just brings up the Dragonborn Fury rather then a new window.

Similar things happen with the Class Features. The work around is to enter a feat, then enter the third Race Feature or Class Feature.

This happens on all my tokens I have attempted to make, but I am not sure if it is on my end or a bug.

There also doesn't seem to be tracking magic item uses correctly. It does remove a milestone, but the magic item uses left at the bottom of the Magic Item page doesn't change.

DeviantNull
Dragon

Post by DeviantNull »

Sepp wrote:This happens on all my tokens I have attempted to make, but I am not sure if it is on my end or a bug.

There also doesn't seem to be tracking magic item uses correctly. It does remove a milestone, but the magic item uses left at the bottom of the Magic Item page doesn't change.
Thnks! I discovered both of these myself when playing tonight. For some reason, my players who tried it out last week failed to mention it doing that. My beta testers aren't very good. :D

Stomped both bugs out.

There also an annoying function that will pop up when gaining Temp HP. That one has been around for like ever now and I just kept forgetting it.

Power usage is a little rough in a spot or two. Two attacks weren't calculating the 2nd damage correctly and were using the the first attacks damage codes. There are a couple of hang ups if you have the reroll code on the dice. I'm trying to smooth it out but it's proving to be more annoying then I first thought. And I may hit a limitation where I can't do a swordmage with an implement power when using a sword that offers a reroll... very corner-case but I've got one so...

I was hoping to have the new version up a day ago but each time I fix something I notice something else. Ugh. Soon though, very soon.

Sepp
Dragon

Post by Sepp »

On other thing, there is no 'Trigger' box. I have been using the special box to add the 'trigger' event; which works perfectly fine for all the powers I know; but if you're a perfectionist you may wish to have one. Or if there is a power that has both a 'special' and a 'trigger'.

Also, there is no OPPORTUNITY ACTION type (PHB 290). Now, currently there is only one use for it in an official source, but more might be added as more books are published.

DeviantNull
Dragon

Post by DeviantNull »

Sepp wrote:On other thing, there is no 'Trigger' box. I have been using the special box to add the 'trigger' event; which works perfectly fine for all the powers I know; but if you're a perfectionist you may wish to have one. Or if there is a power that has both a 'special' and a 'trigger'.

Also, there is no OPPORTUNITY ACTION type (PHB 290). Now, currently there is only one use for it in an official source, but more might be added as more books are published.
I think I have just the special line since I was using the SRD entry as a generic template... I also need to fix the special line as well, seems to bold everything and I don't think I intended that (if I did, I can't fathom why... sometimes late night coding leads to weird results later). Not sure if I want to add another variable for it. Shouldn't mess with anything, other then another round of 'whats the value!?' if you use an older token. And I've already got some of that... so I'll look into it.

For now, apparently HTML is a-ok for entries as I discovered tonight. F*#$*ing rangers make my life miserable. Two Wolf Pounce has a Req & Special, so I just stuck them both on the same line and tossed in a <br> to make them look like separate lines. Still can't do it's jacked up triple attack, it's one of those 'not worth the effort' types where we just use the power twice and ignore the second secondary hit.

I think I was mentally classifying Opportunity Actions as Immediate Interrupts (yes, I know they are separate and you can take one of each). Trivial to add though, already an entry in the power and I can tack it to the bottom of the list, especially since it doesn't do anything 'cept sit there and look pretty.

Sepp
Dragon

Post by Sepp »

Tempest Fighters from Martial Power might also screw your sheet up. I don't know if they have powers similar to Two Wolf Pounce, but they are a dual weapon class.

Anyway, great work so far, I really like this sheet. I don't mean to come across as nitpicking.

Simplyme
Cave Troll

Post by Simplyme »

Couldn't you use a "Link to other power" option?

So basicly the powers when you fill them out COULD be changed to have an option at the bottom that you can use to either link to another power (Maybe a checkbox and dropdown list) and a option for "this is the second part of a power".

That way it displays differently if its the second part of a power and people don't mistake it.

And when you run the first half of the power, it would display the first half then auto excute the second half.

Or would that not work????

BTW I'm over half-way thru filling out the LIB Information token on skills. The formatting is the most time consuming part. Should have it posted within the next few days.

I was thinking.... If you were REALLY crazy about it, you could fill out the information for rituals too and then when adding rituals there could be an option to make anew or choose from list.

Could save time later by filling out now.

Anyway, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!

(P.S. Were you going to add the specially formatted sheet for NPCs?)

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”