4e interactive sheet & utilities

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Natha
Dragon

Re: 4e interactive sheet & utilities

Post by Natha »

I really love your work, DeviantNull.

May I dare to ask something perhaps impossible to do : would it be possible to separate the various texts appearing on the sheet and in creation functions (implement, powers etc.) from the properties and variables used in tokens and macros ? Even the strings in dropdown list like the attack type when creating a power ...

My point would be to translate your work (in french but I guess others would be interested to translate in spanish or german or whatever) without having to modify your global "engine".
ImageImageImageImage

Sepp
Dragon

Post by Sepp »

Is there anyway that the recharge powers can check a property before being crossed out? For example, could a Paladins Lay on Hands check his Wisdom modifer?

Or could there be a seperate box that ticks down, like healing surges? You'd enter the Wis Mod (or the number of uses/encounter or uses/day for Inspiring Word) and each time it was used it would remove one, then at zero it would cross the power out?

DeviantNull
Dragon

Post by DeviantNull »

Natha wrote:May I dare to ask something perhaps impossible to do : would it be possible to separate the various texts appearing on the sheet and in creation functions (implement, powers etc.) from the properties and variables used in tokens and macros ? Even the strings in dropdown list like the attack type when creating a power ...
Wow, yeah... that would be a hefty order. Do-able, but rather time consuming, and a little tricky in places where it's in html inside another piece of code. But I can take a look. Given that I had to write it as a bunch of sub-macro's, it's not too difficult to modify to change what's shown.

Sheet* macro's are the main page macros. Depending on the page it's either the entire display (Feats, rituals, powers) or it assembles other macros. Should be easy to change the table header displays for these. I tried to keep the html somewhat easy to read if possible.

*Display macro's are sub macro's that show on the sheet* pages (some have sub-macros that aren't always named consistently). For stuff like ability and skills I just pull the string property names. So that's trivial to change, you just do it in the campaign properties. Then you'd have to update the table headers manually. For Languages or the Defense or Health box the entire thing needs to be changed as it only pulls numbers.

*Dialog macro's are the edit dialog boxes. They use almost identical format to the display macros as i usually just copy/pasted the code and inserted input HTML.

Powers are under PowerBlock for the power window display.

DeviantNull
Dragon

Post by DeviantNull »

Sepp wrote:Is there anyway that the recharge powers can check a property before being crossed out? For example, could a Paladins Lay on Hands check his Wisdom modifer?
The recharge stuff is legacy code back when I did my first set of unifying code and I was much more limited in my options on how to do it, since there weren't good looping or input options. It's definitely possible now, and I think somewhat easy... Though making it cross check another attribute is way harder, easier to just make it a flat number entry.

Powers just get added to a used string. I count how many times it shows up in that string and if it's greater then 0, it's used. I could add a power variable to hold how many times it can be used and then just use that # as the number of times it can show up.

It's more complicated than that in a few spots (frex, I prevent multiple entries right now and it may interact weirdly with recharge) but I'll add it towards the top of the to-do list.

Sepp
Dragon

Post by Sepp »

DeviantNull wrote:
The recharge stuff is legacy code back when I did my first set of unifying code and I was much more limited in my options on how to do it, since there weren't good looping or input options. It's definitely possible now, and I think somewhat easy... Though making it cross check another attribute is way harder, easier to just make it a flat number entry.

Powers just get added to a used string. I count how many times it shows up in that string and if it's greater then 0, it's used. I could add a power variable to hold how many times it can be used and then just use that # as the number of times it can show up.

It's more complicated than that in a few spots (frex, I prevent multiple entries right now and it may interact weirdly with recharge) but I'll add it towards the top of the to-do list.
Cool. The ability Check is largely unneeded, I think. A flat number is used much more often, and Lay on Hands is the only one I can think of that keys of a stat.

Edit: Likely need a separate one for Channel Divinity, as you can have more then one CD, but can only use one per encounter.
Last edited by Sepp on Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DeviantNull
Dragon

Post by DeviantNull »

And almost forgot, I ment to do this yesterday and got distracted by something shiney and the impending icy apocalypse.

Alternate download location!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/xnmeyhuvgzm/Example.cmpgn

Stitched
Dragon

Post by Stitched »

Daelkyr wrote:Sepp is the official liaison and I'm the DM of the same fine group of with UntoldGlory speaks. I must say, that this is amazing work you've done. Simply amazing. I was in the process of translating Natha's French Panel system, but with your latest update, I may be forced to abandon the effort in favor of yours.

Now, if there was only a way to rip the xml data out of the character sheet that the DDi Character Builder provides and slot it into you sheet, we'd be gold.
Did someone say XML? I wrote something similiar that converted character powers from a regular databased to XML-ish Maptool friendly text.

I could probably write a Python script that pipes out the XML into a useable format. Having said that, I would need to know what the target format should be.

:D

Let me know.

DeviantNull
Dragon

Post by DeviantNull »

Stitched wrote:I could probably write a Python script that pipes out the XML into a useable format. Having said that, I would need to know what the target format should be.
So you'd basically need the properties list and what goes where?

I think the basics should be easy. Might get a little bumpy in a place or two due to my poor programming ability and bizarro work arounds I had to do; powers being the big part, but there's other stuff like magic item +'s needing to be held in a separate part of the string or the replace() function eats them.

Simplyme
Cave Troll

Post by Simplyme »

My only real complaint is that its hard to tell when you make a change or update.

The only thing I can do to tell when you change something is to check the "Last edited" info at the bottom of the first page.

Could you rename the file when you upload it?

Maybe as a "Example2" or something?

if not its ok...

DeviantNull
Dragon

Post by DeviantNull »

Simplyme wrote:Could you rename the file when you upload it?
Not a problem.

I did more incremental updates then I initially planned. But a few things just weren't working right and I figure folks would like to have one that, you know, works. :D So I'd do one, put it up, fix or add something (and possibly break something), and then put it up again shortly there after... :oops:

Right now, I've got a version that has:

*the new Ranger ranges
*a usage counter for powers if needed (it technically counts daily but only really tracks encounter)
*tweaks to the layout since my HTML is getting slightly better (discovered regular as opposed to non-breaking spaces, so the headers and a few other elements slide around a bit better)
*I'm working on links you can set on powers to click for info on conditions.

But I'm going to hold off till this weekend to post it so I can try to avoid putting one up that is half-baked only to have to put up another one.

jstgtpaid
Giant

Post by jstgtpaid »

I seem to be having trouble running this in Linux. Does anyone else run this on Linux?

On the main sheet there are several links that do nothing when I click on them; hit points, magic items, languages, experience, and base speed. Other links work fine like like name, skill, action point, and saving throw.

I may have stumbled on a maptools bug because some of my old macros no longer work and just dump text in the chat window.

Any ideas?

I have tried this on b49 and b50 with the same results. It works fine on my windows laptop, but not on my linux box. I have tried java 1.6.0_10 and 11.
When the boogeyman goes to bed everynight, he checks his closet for Chuck Norris.

randyshipp
Cave Troll

Post by randyshipp »

Simplyme wrote:BTW I'm over half-way thru filling out the LIB Information token on skills. The formatting is the most time consuming part. Should have it posted within the next few days.
Definitely interested in seeing this!

Randy...

DeviantNull
Dragon

Post by DeviantNull »

I honestly have no clue and I don't run Linux so I can't do much testing.

It shouldn't be a stack size issue, I built it using the regular stack and an unmodified mt (aside from more memory on my end due the leak in the macro editor).

Previously, dumping to chat ment that it was too long to execute. But no clue if that still holds true.

You could try to clip things from the macros and pin down what is causing the failure. On the Lib:Sheet token, HPdialog is what the Hit Point macrolink goes to. Just start removing items one by one and seeing if it will execute. Start with the sub-macro to HPDialog2 and then just start removing the <tr></tr> line entries one by one.

I think we may be looking at a larger MT bug but I can't think of anything it does different from any other macro I wrote.

Jshock
Dragon

Post by Jshock »

There might be a bug with b50 & Lib tokens... I'm having similar problems to Paid. If I try to use the Campaign macro for the sheet nothing happens, If I actually drag the macros from the lib:sheet onto a token and fire them from token, they sorta work (the result ends up in the chat box instead of a frame). Everything works fine for me under b49.
Edit: this is under Win XP 64, BTW.

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

Its doubtful this is a new bug since that code hasn't changed in b50 and it sounds the same as the stack overflow bug.

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”