4e interactive sheet & utilities

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

DeviantNull
Dragon

Re: 4e interactive sheet & utilities

Post by DeviantNull »

I'll check out tempest fighters and see what sort of wacky stuff they're up to. I've sort of resigned myself to the fact it's not 100% comprehensive and you have to Macgyver a way to do a couple of things.

The linking 2 powers together is a great idea and I think I have a better handle on how to do it then the first time it crossed my mind. I think I can pull it off now and it's better then nothing.

As for the empty skill boxes... I've tried very hard to specifically avoid putting in any WoTC IP (and I'd be even more happy if I could crack the formula for XP and avoid having to reproduce it as a string of numbers). Freely distributed with their formatting and procedures hidden under the hood is one thing, including the game is another.

HOWEVER, what anyone else does is up to them. Which is why I've gone for the 'roll your own' approach. :D

I'm experimenting with a way to add tags for conditions onto the powers so they could be links to info boxes in the same way skills are. They're the other big part I like having quick and easy access too. Layout and interface is a little difficult though. Might have to table that for the moment so I can post a better working version for ya'll first.

I"m aiming for end of the day today, Sundays are nice and slow for me.

Sepp
Dragon

Post by Sepp »

Wow! Tags to conditions sounds great!

DeviantNull
Dragon

Post by DeviantNull »

Okay, so that took 2-3 more hours then I thought it would. But you can get the new version from http://rapidshare.com/files/189483745/Example.cmpgn (I also updated the link on the first post).

Here's a picture of the PC sheet

and the npc version

The PC versions layout is essentially the same, 'cept now with color in the same theme, black/grey/offwhiteish. Discovered that the grey is -very- close to the one used by hover-over, but really only causes an issue with the power display box on the hit line. Which page was last viewed is now stored on the token so it remembers the last page viewed on the token. The toggle open boxes, for equipment and magic items, also remember. I shrunk the table for skills, moved a full version to the dialog box when assigning values, and then made it toggle-able between the old and new version. There seems to be a minor display issue with the ? when it's opened and the window is too narrow, it gets scrunched under the border bar until expanded and refreshed.

PC tokens default to the PC sheet and NPC's to the NPC sheet when first used with a new token. However, the token image is a clickable toggle between the two and it remembers which version it was last on. I wanted a way to toggle back and forth while testing and I just left it in.

On the NPC sheet, the little * on the skill line opens a box to roll a skill that isn't listed. I'm not 100% satisfied with the NPC sheet, but that's more of a general layout and how elements move around when expanded/shrunk. Same with a few bits of the PC sheet, like the header links, the speed box, and where the name goes. It's on the to-do list.

If you use an old token, the first time you hover over it it will likely prompt for a value. Just do the ok routine and it should default to the NPC sheet. Just view the token properties to store the auto-property or click the image to toggle.

Powers will need to be updated. When you first view a power it will likely want a PLink value, just hit ok with 0's and it will load the display, edit it to save the empy link value.

Opportunity action is now a choice for action type. The Special line no longer bolds the whole thing, but you can use HTML in it (or any other section for that matter) to do Requirements, triggers, specials, what ever.

Maptool Reroll and Exploding die codes now work on weapons but you can't put them on powers. The if's and switches for checking were getting horribly ugly and you can fake it with a weapon if you have to. You can do implements with them by putting a 0r# or 0e for the damage and it will add the r# or e to the power damage. Swordmages rejoice. A bad side effect is that they get added from a weapon to a powers damage even if that power should have overridden the weapon... Also, you CAN NOT use both on the same weapon. Surprisingly, I support it (since I just reassemble the string), but maptools doesn't. So for all you Vorpal Kophesh weilders out there, suck it up.

You can now link multiple powers together to fire off at the same time with the linked power displaying the attack & hits and Desc but not name and in one block like a standard attack. You still have to build it as two separate powers, but at least it's something. I do a 1 level deep check to see if the very first linked power is multi-target so it will prompt for # of targets on the linked. Acid orb users rejoice. Any farther in the chain and it doesn't know how many targets so it defaults to 1, unless the first or second powers were multi-attack and then it uses that number. You can't quite do a multi-attack to a multi-attack with a different # of targets.

The modifiers carry over and they go in the same order as the primary power, so if you put a +2 modifier on attack #1 of the primary power then attack#1 of the linked power will gain it as well (as well as any other linked powers in the chain). Mutli-attacks share modifiers with the linking attack#1 spot.

As far as I can tell, you can keep linking powers together until maptools gives out. But you can't link a power to itself. I figured it would cause a recursion problem but it loses values instead for some reason and prompts for them, so yay?!

A power with a linked power will show 'Linked Power' in it's name line in the power box that will take you to the linked power if you need to view it.

I included 2 more PC tokens, a Swordmage and a Ranger to show off some of the new stuff (all three tokens are guys from my weekly game). The swordmage has a reroll implement and the ranger is loaded down with double attacks and even a triple. Added a witchdoctor orc since she has a unique attack w/ no damage to area mulit-attack power.

Sepp
Dragon

Post by Sepp »

Very nice. Thanks for all the work.

Is there any way to quickly transfer properties between tokens?

DeviantNull
Dragon

Post by DeviantNull »

Sepp wrote:Is there any way to quickly transfer properties between tokens?
Yes-ish?

You can edit the token and copy/paste properties between them. I do this for some powers when doing a bunch of similar monsters like kobolds or orcs that all have a power or trait in common. Works well for powers, weapons, and armor. Not so well for other stuff since they're nothing more then big long strings unless you want the whole string, then it's cool.

For stuff like feats, you can select the text and ctrl-c off the sheet and cntrl-v into a new entry on another token. Otherwise if you take the raw property off the token it's a pain to pick out just one part. I use ~ for entry separators and @ for list entries.

BTW it still seems to have an issue with non-letter entries, especially for entry names. Doing something like Two-Weapon Fighting will drop the Two- on display. Not entirely sure why. Seems to be ok in the actual entries, probably related to the replace() function in some way.

Also, in answering this question I realized the race/class & feat edit does an empty output to the GM instead of saying what was edited. If someone were to want one before the next update, just put a message at the end in the macro FeatEdit. Macro's named Edit are the ones at the end that do math and save changes and output to chat.

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

Sepp is our game's official liasion here, but I had to pipe up and say "WOW!"

Great stuff man, awesome. Can't wait to see where it all goes.

Daelkyr
Giant

Post by Daelkyr »

Sepp is the official liaison and I'm the DM of the same fine group of with UntoldGlory speaks. I must say, that this is amazing work you've done. Simply amazing. I was in the process of translating Natha's French Panel system, but with your latest update, I may be forced to abandon the effort in favor of yours.

Now, if there was only a way to rip the xml data out of the character sheet that the DDi Character Builder provides and slot it into you sheet, we'd be gold.

Daelkyr
Giant

Post by Daelkyr »

Being more DM centric. I was playing with your recharge feature on the Monster sheets. Unless there is a campaign macro I'm missing, the only way to do recharge is to click on the Rchg: # hypertext link in the sheet. Even when this rolls high enough to be a success for multiple powers, it always says that the recharge fails.

Any info about this? Anything I can tinker with?

DeviantNull
Dragon

Post by DeviantNull »

Daelkyr wrote:Any info about this? Anything I can tinker with?
Huh. I fixed a bug in it that was preventing recharge rolls from happening when clicked from the power info display box and I ran a test or three afterwards and it appeared to be working. I'll take a look at it.

Also, I'm happy to hear any GM style suggestions. I run for our group, so if you can think of anything to improve that side of things, let me know.

Daelkyr
Giant

Post by Daelkyr »

Well, one DM thing I could suggest is a lib token re-skin. I've done your latest update to be more table-top. All I need to add next is the caffine and pizza.

But another question begs to be asked. Will you be placing the Beast Master Ranger ranges

Melee beast 1

Melee weapon (beast 1)

Close burst (beast)

I'm aware that simply placing "(beast)" in the Range box will do the trick there, but that still leaves two weapon ranges unaccounted for, and they are actually important in determining who a ranger can use their power on.

[Edit] Another thing that doesn't seem to be working is Magic item entry. When I place information in the Magic Armor's Properties or Power section, if I click save it won't do anything. Nothing at all.
Last edited by Daelkyr on Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ferdil
Cave Troll

Post by Ferdil »

Great work!

Suggestion: use MediaFire for hosting, it is known that Rapidshare is confusing and gives problems to some users (including me, and I know why but can't do anything about it).

DeviantNull
Dragon

Post by DeviantNull »

Daelkyr wrote:Well, one DM thing I could suggest is a lib token re-skin. I've done your latest update to be more table-top. All I need to add next is the caffine and pizza.
Brilliant! I just grabbed what was handy in my library... I love that! Now which one is which? Makes me feel like I need a third one to complete the triple set...
But another question begs to be asked. Will you be placing the Beast Master Ranger ranges
Should be trivially easy. One of my only regrets is due to the fact it grew it out of some older code I wrote that used input(), some things for powers are still still stored as numbers and indexed on retrieval. Range is one of them. I really should rewrite that whole section, but it's semi-low priority since it does work. Adding to it is easy, but it has to be done in two places, the input and the display. If I switch to strings that's only one change in the future.

[Edit] Another thing that doesn't seem to be working is Magic item entry. When I place information in the Magic Armor's Properties or Power section, if I click save it won't do anything. Nothing at all.[/quote]

Another weird one, since I did magic item entries right before upload. Anything unusual about the name of the item or odd characters in the entry itself? This on a brand new token?

And...
Ferdil, I"ll look into throwing up a copy on MediaFire. I don't exactly have a spot to put stuff up, so I just went with the first I found.

Daelkyr
Giant

Post by Daelkyr »

DeviantNull wrote:Brilliant! I just grabbed what was handy in my library... I love that! Now which one is which? Makes me feel like I need a third one to complete the triple set...
The PHB is sheets, the DMG is information, and the MM is just for show. The dice lib is the dice pile, which I cut out of dice images in the PHB. Just wanted everything to be WotC Brand 4e. (Actually, I pondered using a picture of the Character Record Sheets product, but decided that this way was more traditional.)
Should be trivially easy. One of my only regrets is due to the fact it grew it out of some older code I wrote that used input(), some things for powers are still still stored as numbers and indexed on retrieval. Range is one of them. I really should rewrite that whole section, but it's semi-low priority since it does work. Adding to it is easy, but it has to be done in two places, the input and the display. If I switch to strings that's only one change in the future.
Thanks for the reply to this, I'll rummage through the macros to see what exactly it is and try and change it.

As for the magic items, I'm trying to enter Leather armor of Exploits. I'll look over your example macros some more and see if I can discern where I'm going wrong. Now, I just want the gallery back so I can re-download Aidybaby's states and get them into your campaign file.

DeviantNull
Dragon

Post by DeviantNull »

I may need to have you mail me the token. Both adding armor and recharging works fine for me.

For the armor, can you add other types of magic items? If so, check the token properties. You want the MagicItems section and then the MagicArmor entry. See if anything is listed there and if there is, try blanking the entry or changing it to ~.

The recharge has me really confused, since the links work... If it's a single digit of 1-6 it makes a regular recharge roll for all powers and recharge any that equal or exceed the roll. Any non-numeric or multiple number entry should just recharge that specific power. Single numbers greater then 6 will cause it to fail to recharge... If you change the recharge entry to a letter or a word and click the link, does it recharge that specific power?

Only other thing I can think of is... is the power actually used? It only checks encounter powers and the power has to be used; should change to italics and have a strike through it. If you edit the token, the Power section has an EncUsed entry; it will have No and then a list of all the slots that are currently used. Try using the power and seeing if it shows up there.

DeviantNull
Dragon

Post by DeviantNull »

Daelkyr wrote:Thanks for the reply to this, I'll rummage through the macros to see what exactly it is and try and change it.
Ah! Well, okay, if you're wanting to do it yourself before I can update a new version you want the PowerDialog1 macro. That's part of the power editor, they go in order. There's a Reach section with a bunch of <options>, should be easy to find due to indented formating. The attribute is called PReach. Just copy an existing entry and change the values to higher numbers and the displayed value to whatever and put them anywhere in the list.

For the next part you may want to copy the macro to a text editor as there's almost no whitespace... PowerBlock1 is the macro that displays that portion in the power frame. Buried in there is a Switch(PReach) entry. You need to add a case entry for them with the number matching what ever the value in the editor was. You can likely get away with just a "<b>Melee:</b> (Beast)  " and similar entries and not need to make weapon calls. If you do, well there are examples buried in that mess.

If you need it case entry format is

case #: "TEXT";
As for the magic items, I'm trying to enter Leather armor of Exploits. I'll look over your example macros some more and see if I can discern where I'm going wrong. Now, I just want the gallery back so I can re-download Aidybaby's states and get them into your campaign file.
I entered it in no problem, copy and pasted directly from the book... Text area's aren't fully functional. It will eat anything after the first on multiple lines, but it should still make an entry. I left them in in that format in hopes that in the near future they'll be compatible. You can't do + values in the name... which is why I put in the plus entry. Very weird.

As for aidybaby's state, I love those and use them myself. I don't include them because they're not mine. Though it occurs to me I think I left the dead/dying/bloodied ones in... oops.

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”