[D&D 4E] Rumble's D&D Combat Framework - Version 4

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Rumble
Deity

Re: [D&D 4E] Rumble's D&D Combat Framework

Post by Rumble »

Oh, I know what the problem is: the importer in the 4.1.7 version of this framework doesn't support Monster Manual 3 stablock layouts, so you cannot import monsters from the Monster Builder into this version of the framework anymore.

Eeesh. It'll take me a while to get that implemented, but I'll get it done.

RKK6289
Kobold

Post by RKK6289 »

Hey Rumble,

My group and I found the MapTool and used it for our previous campaign. However, our previous DM wasn't too zealous about really using the beauty of MapTool, so we stumbled through the campaign using our basic macros and his (poor) DMing. Soon into our campaign, the other members of the group asked me to DM the next campaign, which we are about to undertake. Months ago, in a fit of curiosity, I explored and read all I could about MapTool, and happened upon your framework. Boy am I glad I did. I've been talking it up for months and now that we're about to start, everyone agrees, I was not overselling it. Great work! Thanks so much.

One question, which I'm sure will be the first of many:
[I apologize if this is a repeat question, but after scanning 30 pages of the log I got tired...]

How (if at all) does Elven Accuracy work? The power imports (from a pdf) properly, and when used a box comes up with the effect: reroll an attack roll. But I'm not sure how I implement this in actual combat. Any hints on making the macro work slickly or just an easy work-around (like is there some way as a DM for me to manually change an attack roll for an already-made attack?) would be great.

Thanks again!

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Unfortunately, there's no simple way to handle interrupt or reaction powers like that (similarly, "Second Chance" for Halflings is very hard to implement). The best I can suggest is re-running the power again, and seeing what happens. The GM can make adjustments if necessary to damage and so forth.

The real problem is that there's no means to throw interrupt requests to other players easily, so it's very hard to automate those things. I can think of one potential solution but it requires picking apart the framework a bit to make changes, which I am exceedingly reluctant to do.

RKK6289
Kobold

Post by RKK6289 »

I figured as much. I think whenever he wants to use it, I'll just have him roll a d20 and then manually input the damage the move would have done.

New question! Magic missile. I can't get it to parse right, and my attempts to make it right don't quite work. Is there a way to make a move damage without having to roll a die to hit?

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

RKK6289 wrote:I figured as much. I think whenever he wants to use it, I'll just have him roll a d20 and then manually input the damage the move would have done.

New question! Magic missile. I can't get it to parse right, and my attempts to make it right don't quite work. Is there a way to make a move damage without having to roll a die to hit?
Hm. I believe there's an "auto" option in the "attack type" field, which means there's no to-hit roll - it just applies damage. (the reason I say "I believe" is that I know it's in the newer framework, but I don't remember if it's part of 4.1.7).

RKK6289
Kobold

Post by RKK6289 »

Sorry to be the perennial pest, hopefully once I get the campaign really rolling I won't need to bother you so much!

I searched through about 40 pages of this thread looking for advice on setting up clerics, but I got tired. I am stumped. Most of the other characters' powers work as well as can be expected, but almost none of the cleric powers seem to work correctly. Seeing as most of them have some sort of effect on enemies and allies alike, one does no damage but allows all allies in a burst who are bloodied use a healing surge, another summons something, etc. I'm feeling rather overwhelmed and I was just wondering if there was some way I can work through this by creating custom powers or something, or if I should just give up on the cleric and do things manually for him?

In case you're wondering, his powers are:
Sacred Flame
Astral Seal
Healing Word
Shield Bearer
Divine Fortune
Healer's Mercy
Hymn of Resurgence
Moment of Glory
Cure Light Wounds

In essence, all of the problems come down to three things: ally healing powers and ally effects in an area; moves that do no damage but have an effect, possibly on enemies and allies; and the entire concept of summoning. Any help at all on this would be fantastic. Thanks again!

Polisurgist
Kobold

Post by Polisurgist »

Question about monster importing...I'm trying to paste the stats for a Kobold Minion from MM1/Keep on the Shadowfell and something isn't working right. I'm getting the typical warning boxes, clicking through them and getting stats up, but they're incomplete and powers are parsing weirdly. Here's the text I'm pasting:

Code: Select all

Kobold Minion	Level 1 Minion
Small natural humanoid (reptile)	XP 25
HP 1; a missed attack never damages a minion
AC 15; Fortitude 11; Reflex 13; Will 11
Speed 6
Initiative +3
Perception +1
Darkvision
Traits
Trap Sense
The kobold gains a +2 bonus to all defenses against traps.
Standard Actions
Javelin (weapon) • At-Will
Attack: +5 vs. AC
Hit: 4 damage.
Javelin (weapon) • At-Will
Attack: Ranged 10/20; +5 vs. AC
Hit: 4 damage.
Minor Actions
Shifty • At-Will
Effect: The kobold shifts 1 square as a minor action.
Skills Stealth +4, Thievery +4
Str 8 (–1)	Dex 16 (+3)	Wis 12 (+1)
Con 12 (+1)	Int 9 (–1)	Cha 10 (+0)
Alignment evil     Languages Common, Draconic
Equipment hide armor, light shield, javelin x3
The problem is that certain things, Shifty for instance, show up under the Effects section for the power above them. Obviously, these can be edited later, but it's something of an issue for me right now, since if a kobold minion has this problem, I forsee that more complicated monsters might be more problematic and I should skip the import step entirely.

How does the importer tell one power from the next? I'm hoping there's some kind of alteration I can make to the text after copying it out of Adventure Tools so that it imports more smoothly.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

The problem is that MM3-style statblocks (the new layout) are not supported by the importing tool; it's on my list of things to do, but I can't give you an ETA on it being fixed.

Polisurgist
Kobold

Post by Polisurgist »

Rumble wrote:The problem is that MM3-style statblocks (the new layout) are not supported by the importing tool; it's on my list of things to do, but I can't give you an ETA on it being fixed.
So for the time being, the best thing to do is to move text around in the new layout so it matches the old. That's totally doable.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Polisurgist wrote:
Rumble wrote:The problem is that MM3-style statblocks (the new layout) are not supported by the importing tool; it's on my list of things to do, but I can't give you an ETA on it being fixed.
So for the time being, the best thing to do is to move text around in the new layout so it matches the old. That's totally doable.
That should work, although I am sorry for the inconvenience!

Polisurgist
Kobold

Post by Polisurgist »

Rumble wrote:That should work, although I am sorry for the inconvenience!
We're far from the point where any inconvenience manages to outweigh the convenience you're responsible for, so no worries.

RKK6289
Kobold

Post by RKK6289 »

Hey again. So I'm trying to set up the ability to use Enlarge Spell for my party's wizard, and it would be pretty straight forward, but I haven't a clue where it is I access the actual macros. It says they're all sent to the Library. Am I missing something? Or is this just too complex for me to understand? If so, that's fine, I'll just make extra moves for him that are the same but modified to "Enlarge Spell"'s specifications.

Doc_Waldo
Giant

Post by Doc_Waldo »

Rumble- sorry if the questions is answered in the previous posts, I did look through and do a search but couldn't find anything. Did you yank out the auto targeting feature in v.5 of the full framework? Meaning, in the latest of v.4, when I went to do an attack, I would only have selections of those in range in a drop down list. Also, when I looked at the screen shoots it looked like this feature was still in v.5, but I can't for the life of me get it to come up. Any suggestions.

Also, thank you very much for the excellent work you've done on the framework. It is incredible. The auto features placed in the framework is great for playing with my sons who are younger. They can move around hit a few buttons and see the results, and it makes the games go along at a good clip, something that never happened before. Thanks you!
--DOC

RKK6289
Kobold

Post by RKK6289 »

I feel like such a bother. Discount my last question altogether, I'm simply doing it the simple, if more cumbersome way.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Doc_Waldo wrote:Rumble- sorry if the questions is answered in the previous posts, I did look through and do a search but couldn't find anything. Did you yank out the auto targeting feature in v.5 of the full framework? Meaning, in the latest of v.4, when I went to do an attack, I would only have selections of those in range in a drop down list. Also, when I looked at the screen shoots it looked like this feature was still in v.5, but I can't for the life of me get it to come up. Any suggestions.

Also, thank you very much for the excellent work you've done on the framework. It is incredible. The auto features placed in the framework is great for playing with my sons who are younger. They can move around hit a few buttons and see the results, and it makes the games go along at a good clip, something that never happened before. Thanks you!
If you're looking at version 5 of the framework, instead of targeting by a drop-down list, you can simply select the tokens you want to target. To do so, you click the power macro button, and a dialog will pop up. You then select the enemy tokens you want to target, and as you select them, they'll appear in the target dialog. Set the rest of your options, and hit Attack!

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”