[D&D 4E] Rumble's D&D Combat Framework - Version 4

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Rumble
Deity

Re: [D&D 4E] Rumble's D&D Combat Framework

Post by Rumble »

jfrazierjr wrote:Rumble, if your around, could you go to wave?
Yeah, hang on.

Merilan
Kobold

Post by Merilan »

Hello,

I have been using your framework for several months now, and it works quite nicely. There is one thing that comes to mind however: my players do not like using the attack framework, so I simply have them enter their HP and defenses and inflict damage through the 'Take Misc Damage' function.

Unfortunately this does not seem to print a message in the chatline, which makes things unclear for my players. Would it be possible to add this functionality, or add a separate function to do so?

Regards,
Merilan

Canadian Pirate
Kobold

Post by Canadian Pirate »

Hey, I've recently found your framework, and it's quite honestly amazing. Miles ahead of the stuff we've been doing. Anyway, I have a bunch of questions. Hopefully it isn't too much of a burden or anything <_<. I've read the readme, but I'm still wondering about...

Class Ability riders in Powers.
For some reason, the Parser which puts the powers in Maptool ignores text after something like "Aegis of Shielding". I've tried the options, but nothing seems to want to make it show up on the power in Maptool. Am I missing something?
The Runepriest.
So, I'm trying to put a Runepriest into this Framework, and it's not going very well. The first problem is the Rune State they can do. I know you've setup more than one condition on a power, but is it possible to make it so a condition can be chosen?
Also, the Rune of Mending has the same thing, and I'm not really sure how to input that into a Leader Healing Power <_<.

Update: Oh, another question. Regarding Healing, taking damage, conditions, and all that. Those Macros are on the player Tokens themselves...Is there anyway of transferring them to the Campaign Macros for the DM? I tried doing that, and it wouldn't work for me.
Update 2: Ah, another issue. I'm trying to make a Monk as well, and I'm guessing the Parser isn't set up to handle the strange powers Monks use. How do I fix this? Also, the Flurry of Blows the Monk uses...How would I create that, like with the other Striker Damage Macros?
I think that's all I have for right now, but I'm sure I'm forgetting something. Anyway, any help would be much appreciated.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

I have been using your framework for several months now, and it works quite nicely. There is one thing that comes to mind however: my players do not like using the attack framework, so I simply have them enter their HP and defenses and inflict damage through the 'Take Misc Damage' function.

Unfortunately this does not seem to print a message in the chatline, which makes things unclear for my players. Would it be possible to add this functionality, or add a separate function to do so?

Regards,
Merilan
I'm not really all that actively supporting this particular version anymore; I've been working on a newer version. However, if I have some time, I'll look to see if I can do that.
Hey, I've recently found your framework, and it's quite honestly amazing. Miles ahead of the stuff we've been doing. Anyway, I have a bunch of questions. Hopefully it isn't too much of a burden or anything <_<. I've read the readme, but I'm still wondering about...

Class Ability riders in Powers.
For some reason, the Parser which puts the powers in Maptool ignores text after something like "Aegis of Shielding". I've tried the options, but nothing seems to want to make it show up on the power in Maptool. Am I missing something?
To be clear, what specifically is being ignored? Are there any commas or semicolons or single quotes? Is the text fully left-aligned when you try to import it?
The Runepriest.
So, I'm trying to put a Runepriest into this Framework, and it's not going very well. The first problem is the Rune State they can do. I know you've setup more than one condition on a power, but is it possible to make it so a condition can be chosen?
Also, the Rune of Mending has the same thing, and I'm not really sure how to input that into a Leader Healing Power <_<.
Update 2: Ah, another issue. I'm trying to make a Monk as well, and I'm guessing the Parser isn't set up to handle the strange powers Monks use. How do I fix this? Also, the Flurry of Blows the Monk uses...How would I create that, like with the other Striker Damage Macros?
The Runepriest isn't supported in any of my frameworks; the best you can do is create an individual power for each rune state. The monk, likewise - what I generally do is create a separate power for the standard and move action portions of the power; if you import them as two powers (by pasting in only one component, like the Standard action part), it'll work.
For flurry of blows...actually, you got me. I might create it as an automatic damage power. It's not going to be automatically launched like Sneak Attack or anything, but you can just use it when you hit.

Generic_Rogue
Cave Troll

Post by Generic_Rogue »

Ok, so we played a campaign last night and were having all sorts of issues. Not sure how many you can actually fix though.

1st.We have a shaman in our party and we give the bear 15 resistance under the all damage. For some reason last night he was resistance all damage even up to 20+. I noticed in the Damage Multipliers page we accidentally listed Untyped Damage 0. So this seemed to be the cause of the problem. I was wondering if there was a way from the printouts to see that as the reason? I kept seeing resistance of 20 or 18 or whatever the damage was, but it sort of led us down the wrong path. Anyway, if there isn't, not a real big deal.

2nd. So this is more of an FYI. I remember a while back I asked if there was a way to reduce the amount of memory placing objects on the map took up. Someone suggested moving all the token properties to a new set and making the basic properties have nothing on them. Anyway, I found out that if there is a token that gets put down, but the properties don't get changed to the other set, then it will mess up the cycleturn function. Basically you get a

Unknown JSON type "" in function "json.fields". error anytime someone tries to end their turn.

I don't know if there is a way around this or not, other than not putting down any tokens without switching which property set they have. Although since it doesn't cycle through the lib tokens, there must be a way.

3rd. We were having tons of issues last night with lag. For some reason it seemed way worse than normal, but it might have been on our end. The only difference I can think of in your framework is the move from 12-14(not exactly sure what version we were on) to the newest 4.17_16 version. It just seemed like we had a lot of lag issues and even a fair amount of sync issues with people seeing some states and dmg and others not for quite a while. Maybe its a maptools 70 thing. Maybe it was something on our end. I'm not really sure, but I thought I'd mention it.

Nixxon
Kobold

Post by Nixxon »

Hey Rumble,

I've been using 4.17 and playing with the 5 beta for a short while. I usually don't have any problems importing the monster statblock but when I try importing the ettercap Webspinner or Fang Guard the import throws a few match errors.

If I save the file, the greataxe/longspear and spider bite macros aren't created but the remaining Macros are... any ideas what's going wrong?

I'm using 4.17_15, maptool 1.3.66b and importing from the compendium.

Thanks

Nixxon
Attachments
Ettercap Fang Guard.rptok
(53.62 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
Ettercap Web Spinner.rptok
(49.92 KiB) Downloaded 93 times

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

I tried it out - I think the problem is when you paste it in, there is a space in front of those power names. Remember, all the text must be completely left-aligned (part of the way it checks for power names is looking for capital letters at the beginning of a line, so if there's a space in front of the power name it skips it). If you remove the space in front of the powers, it should import without trouble.

Nixxon
Kobold

Post by Nixxon »

Thanks Rumble, that did the trick :D

I'll keep my eye out for that in future.

Thanks again

ZeroPoint
Kobold

Post by ZeroPoint »

I'm about to start up my first game using MapTools, and I just wanted to thank you for making this great tool available. I've been playing around with it all afternoon and it looks great so far. I don't have anything constructive to add right now, but I'll give you feedback as I use it in my game. Thank you for the fantastic work!

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

ZeroPoint wrote:I'm about to start up my first game using MapTools, and I just wanted to thank you for making this great tool available. I've been playing around with it all afternoon and it looks great so far. I don't have anything constructive to add right now, but I'll give you feedback as I use it in my game. Thank you for the fantastic work!
Thanks, I'm glad you like it!

Don't forget to check out the other fine Rumble products! (actually, there are only a couple, and several of them are just variants on a 4E framework...:D)

Polisurgist
Kobold

Post by Polisurgist »

I may be an idiot here, but I can't seem to open the campaign framework. After selecting the .cmpgn file and opening, I get to a completely black map window and basically the default Maptool settings. Any ideas? I'm running Maptool 1.3.b63 on Windows 7, BTW

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Polisurgist wrote:I may be an idiot here, but I can't seem to open the campaign framework. After selecting the .cmpgn file and opening, I get to a completely black map window and basically the default Maptool settings. Any ideas? I'm running Maptool 1.3.b63 on Windows 7, BTW
You will need to upgrade to MapTool 1.3.b66 or higher for this to work.

Polisurgist
Kobold

Post by Polisurgist »

Rumble wrote:
Polisurgist wrote:I may be an idiot here, but I can't seem to open the campaign framework. After selecting the .cmpgn file and opening, I get to a completely black map window and basically the default Maptool settings. Any ideas? I'm running Maptool 1.3.b63 on Windows 7, BTW
You will need to upgrade to MapTool 1.3.b66 or higher for this to work.
Sorry I didn't get back right after you posted this; upgrading worked, and I've just been too busy test driving it to come back and say thanks.

CixrTyx
Cave Troll

Post by CixrTyx »

I need help on importing monster data into this mod.
I've opened my Monster builder picked my monster, copied the rich text:

Gloomblade Dread Warrior Level 6 Elite Lurker
Medium shadow humanoid (undead) XP 500
HP 96; Bloodied 48
AC 20; Fortitude 17; Reflex 18; Will 15
Speed 5
Immune disease, poison; Resist 5 necrotic; Vulnerability 5 radiant
Saving Throws +2 (+4 vs. charm effects); Action Points 1
Initiative +12
Perception +5
Low-Light Vision
Traits
Gloomstrike
If the gloomblade hits a target that can’t see him, the target is blinded until the end of the gloomblade’s next turn.
Standard Actions
m Greatsword (weapon) • At-Will
Attack: +11 vs. AC
Hit: 1d10 + 3 damage.
Move Actions
Shadow Jaunt (teleportation) • Encounter
Effect: The gloomblade teleports 3 squares and becomes insubstantial until the start of his next turn.
Veil of Shadows (illusion) • At-Will
Effect: The gloomblade turns invisible and moves up to his speed. The gloomblade cannot use this power while bloodied.
Skills Acrobatics +14, Stealth +14
Str 17 (+6) Dex 20 (+8) Wis 15 (+5)
Con 12 (+4) Int 10 (+3) Cha 11 (+3)
Alignment evil     Languages Common
Equipment greatsword, chainmail
Monster found in RPGA Incident at the Gorge of Gauros and Compendium

© 2010 Wizards of the Coast LLC, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc. All rights reserved. This formatted statistics block has been generated using the D&D Adventure Tools.

Now I go into my Maptool load the campaign file press F9 and paste that into the program and nothing but errors, and all the buttons on the monster are messed up, can I get some help?

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

I'm sorry, I didn't notice this post until now (I've been spending too much time over on the beta, I guess). I'll give it a shot and see what happens. Importing is always a hassle, and it seems that the formatting from the MB changes in little ways that can break things every update.

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”