Veggiesama's Framework (Shadowrun 4th & 5th editions)

Framework(s) for SR4, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Veggiesama
Dragon

Re: Veggiesama's Framework (Shadowrun 4th)

Post by Veggiesama »

I got a few of those already (see post #7). Decking/rigging should fit under Interface, which has Augmented Reality, VR (Hot Sim), and VR (Cold Sim).

I like the Reflexes idea, though it might be overkill. I currently keep track of initiative through the INIT macro, which shows everyone's IPs on the init list. However, I remember the book says something about characters who keep their Wired Reflexes on 24/7 appear very jumpy and suffer penalties to social tests. Does that happen for all types of IP boosts or just cyberware? Maybe that would be a good icon to have: "Jittery." =P

I'll worry about Concealability when I make the framework a little more advanced and allow for equip/unequip of weapons. It will probably go up on the stat sheet. It's definitely a good idea to track, though.

Hmmm, do you think we should differentiate between Full Dodge, Full Block, and Full Parry? I'm totally willing to if we can get the states for it, but for now I'd be happy with a generic Full Defense.

Grappling and Subdued are good. Critical damage is a great idea. It could be used for all kinds of "really bad things."

Dead man's trigger is more of an action than a state.

I'll throw acid and fire up there. Is electrified necessary, or is it the same thing as unconscious (if you fail) and disorientation (if you succeed)?

TYVM! =P
My D&D 4e Campaign FrameworkMy Shadowrun 4e Campaign Framework
RPGA#: 5223846427 — Skype: Veggiesama — Fear the ferret.

Ranger_Dan
Kobold

Post by Ranger_Dan »

Differentiating between the various full defense options are not necassary I am sure, however it always helps me when i see what affects or is affected by a state or property. I am sure that other states could be handled other ways, like DoTs and/or bleeding. Some states like immobilzed, petrified, and incapacitated could be seen as various sub stages of one another but pretty much have the same limitations.

I'll check the medtech sourcebook on the "jittery" thing, I remember 3rd edition had a "jumping the gun" rule where wired characters w/o switches or with activated reflexes would often react based on perception(and instinct), like pulling a gun when a corporate security guard reaches into his jacket for a stick of gum.

Veggiesama
Dragon

Post by Veggiesama »

Okay, JShock, I think I got a final diagram for you:
states_mouseover2.png
states_mouseover2.png (97.07 KiB) Viewed 2196 times
The visions are 25% wide, 33% tall (each could be a colored cat-eye or something would look good when taller than it is wide). There are two versions of ultrasound, but both states would fit into the same square. Unfortunately, vision modes can stack with one another, so we need a nice little place for each.

Shotgun spread and ammo type are 33% wide, 16.6% (1/6th) tall. I'm really iffy about keeping shotgun spread up there. It would be easy to represent (maybe a wide V, medium V, and narrow V), but it's sucking space from Ammo (which could just be an abbreviation or something).

Everything else is just 33% x 33%.

Vision Modes [non-exclusive]
Astrally Perceiving
Low-light
Thermographic
Ultrasound

Weapon Modes
Unarmed
Melee
Single-Shot
Semi-Automatic
Burst-Fire

Full-Auto

Shotgun Modes
Narrow Spread
Medium Spread
Wide Spread

PAN Modes
Active
Passive
Hidden

Interface Modes
Augmented Reality
Virtual Reality (Cold Sim)
Virtual Reality (Hot Sim)

Ammo Types
APDS
Assault cannon
Explosive
EX-Explosive
Flechette
Gel
Regular
Stick-n-Shock
Tracer
Taser Dart
Arrow
Arrow (injection)
Bolt
Bolt (injection)
Anti-Vehicle Rocket/Missile
Fragmentation Rocket/Missile
High Explosive Rocket/Missile

Wounds Modes
Wound Mod -1
Wound Mod -2
Wound Mod -3
Wound Mod -4
Wound Mod -5
Wound Mod -6
Wound Mod -7
Wound Mod -8
Wound Mod -9

Movement Modes
Walking
Running
Sprinting

Crawling
Swimming
Climbing
Flying / Hovering [vehicles?]
Attachments
sr4_token_grid.psd.zip
(1.47 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
Last edited by Veggiesama on Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Veggiesama
Dragon

Post by Veggiesama »

Okay, last set of goodies before I go to bed:

Added some CSS to the input states dialog along with more placeholder images:
inputStates2.png
inputStates2.png (143.83 KiB) Viewed 2219 times
Got all the wound modifier states done, here's a sample:
wound1.png
wound1.png (11.44 KiB) Viewed 2219 times
And here's the XCF for the hell of it:
wound.zip
(36.34 KiB) Downloaded 95 times

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Your speed is impressive, Veggie. This is shaping up nicely (I love Shadowrun, any version, so I'm all for it). However...is there room for the token under all those states? I know that not all of them would be active at the same time, but that seems like a lot to jam on a token.

Or is that going on a portrait image in a frame or something. I'm coming in without thoroughly examining the framework, so maybe I missed something. However, if not, I had a thought that a frame along the bottom of the map window with all those things (kinda like a "dashboard") would also be cool.

Veggiesama
Dragon

Post by Veggiesama »

Heh heh, a reasonable question. Keep in mind that the "modal" states mentioned 2-3 posts ago only appear on a mouse-over, so the only ones you will see the majority of the time are the 9 boxes for "regular states." Even then, you probably won't see more than a few of those at a time (no more than a normal D&D token's group of states, at least).

Still, I *do* realize that most of these states would work just as well as text in the stat-sheet or on some kind of dashboard, like you mention, but... well... I'd like to see if I can get some pretty states before I resort to text-only. =P I'm aiming for a very visually-appealing framework this time around, so I might be setting the bar a little high (especially since my GIMP fu is kind of atrocious).

My philosophy real quick: SR has so many cool little bits built into it, but it's difficult to keep track of them all. For instance, let's say you're a DM and you have an enemy hacker. I think it'd be awesome to quickly mouse-over the players' tokens and look for a "weak link" (i.e., someone forgot to set their PAN to Hidden mode) instead of asking each player in turn about that setting. There's all sorts of little things like that to keep track of, and if it's visually represented, it might be more intuitive and understandable to more people.

Jshock
Dragon

Post by Jshock »

Woah... OK. I'll see what I can come up with.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Veggiesama wrote:Heh heh, a reasonable question. Keep in mind that the "modal" states mentioned 2-3 posts ago only appear on a mouse-over, so the only ones you will see the majority of the time are the 9 boxes for "regular states." Even then, you probably won't see more than a few of those at a time (no more than a normal D&D token's group of states, at least).

Still, I *do* realize that most of these states would work just as well as text in the stat-sheet or on some kind of dashboard, like you mention, but... well... I'd like to see if I can get some pretty states before I resort to text-only. =P I'm aiming for a very visually-appealing framework this time around, so I might be setting the bar a little high (especially since my GIMP fu is kind of atrocious).

My philosophy real quick: SR has so many cool little bits built into it, but it's difficult to keep track of them all. For instance, let's say you're a DM and you have an enemy hacker. I think it'd be awesome to quickly mouse-over the players' tokens and look for a "weak link" (i.e., someone forgot to set their PAN to Hidden mode) instead of asking each player in turn about that setting. There's all sorts of little things like that to keep track of, and if it's visually represented, it might be more intuitive and understandable to more people.
You make a good point about mousing over the tokens - that's a cool idea about the hacking thing, for instance. Of course, the dashboard doesn't need to be text-only - a row of icons (fire mode, movement mode, PAN mode, etc) could be done. What's more, there could be a DM utility macro "show me all the states on all the PC tokens." Pop up a window, look for unprotected PANs, and hack the HECK out of them.

In any case, it sounds like you've got it planned out, so that's cool. Just a thought!

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

I took the liberty of doing two states because, well, it seemed cool: Unarmed, and Melee. Although now that I look at it, maybe those don't need to be states. Well - you can have 'em anyway.
Attachments
unarmed.png
unarmed.png (10.58 KiB) Viewed 2177 times
melee.png
melee.png (8.21 KiB) Viewed 2176 times

Ranger_Dan
Kobold

Post by Ranger_Dan »

If you are lacking in room on the pop up image of states for the token, what if you combine, if it is possible, Interface and PAN. You can have three different images, one for hidden, active and passive, though you have each of those in three colors, red= hot sim, blue = cold sim, and yellow= AR.

Perhaps even doubling up on Astral/Ultrasound vision modes, not that it is impossible to have both active at once, it is less likely as Ultrasound isn't "natural" vision like low-light -orks and elves, and thermographic -trolls and dwarves. Paracritter Powers like echolcation and sonar are similar but not normally available to a PC.

-Edit: I suppose if you did combine the two (Interface and PAN) one more Interface would have to be added, logged-off.

Veggiesama
Dragon

Post by Veggiesama »

I am going to avoid a dashboard window for now, though I think it's a great idea. A good fallback, if anything. I'd much rather see what Aidy mentioned here added to MT, so it's more integrated: http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5195

And thanks for the two icons. Looks really good!

Ranger, that's a really good idea. I was thinking about trying something like that for ammo/shotgun mode plastered on top of weapon mode. That would turn the whole box into a 2x1...

AH! Idea!

Weapon mode: 2x1. In the center of the box is a single large bullet (except for melee/unarmed mode), surrounded by other bullets (depending on burst, FA, etc.). When you pick ammo type, a few letters and/or color design appears on the large bullet. So we could have "Gel, Reg., Explos. EX-Exp., SnS" and so on.

I think shotgun choke could just be a background graphic to the collection of bullets. Just a couple colorful V's would be fine.

Your suggestion for interface/PAN would be awesome. The background green "chip" will change color depending on the interface mode (red/blue/yellow sounds good to me). As for the foreground images: active could be a box (the commlink) with little electric signals shooting outwards, passive could be just the box, and hidden could be a transparent box.

Veggiesama
Dragon

Post by Veggiesama »

I combined the PAN & Interface like Ranger suggested. I think they came out real good, though I hope I didn't kill the hand-drawn-on-a-green-chip motif we had going:

Cold sim VR and Passive broadcasting:
coldAndPassive.png
coldAndPassive.png (53.79 KiB) Viewed 2166 times
Augmented reality and Hidden broadcasting:
ArAndHidden.png
ArAndHidden.png (53.57 KiB) Viewed 2170 times
Hot sim VR and active broadcasting:
hotAndActive.png
hotAndActive.png (54.88 KiB) Viewed 2169 times

Veggiesama
Dragon

Post by Veggiesama »

Added the visions, as per Ranger's suggestions:

Green: low-light
Red/blue: thermo
Wavy purple: astral
Soundwaves: ultra (green for active, red for passive but unshown)
visions.png
visions.png (88.54 KiB) Viewed 2154 times
I managed to fit them cleanly into a 2x1 spot. I don't really like how astral turned out, but at least the others make me happy.

EDIT: Oh, I also changed the bars to make them thinner and a little cleaner. Bottom two are phys & stun, left is matrix, right is edge & ammo. Plus there is some code in there to hide the condition monitors if you're at full health.

Ranger_Dan
Kobold

Post by Ranger_Dan »

It looks cool, did it save you some room?

Veggiesama
Dragon

Post by Veggiesama »

Yeah, I might even squish them over a little more and make them take only 1/2 instead of 2/3rds width.

At this point, all I really want done are weapons. I can save everything else for a later release.

Return to “Shadowrun 4e Frameworks”