Veggiesama's Framework (Shadowrun 4th & 5th editions)

Framework(s) for SR4, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Veggiesama
Dragon

Re: Veggiesama's Framework (Shadowrun 4th)

Post by Veggiesama »

Paradox wrote:Rather than an inventory system, my first glance impression was that I'd like to see more modifiers that could be accounted for with the dice pools macros.
That is a great idea. Before I started on this basic framework, my grand vision was to have some kind of macro for each type of action: one for Ranged attacks, one for Defense rolls, one for Drain resistance, etc. Each macro would have a different roll dialog, each complete with checkboxes.

But like you said, there are a ton of situational mods, and dialogs could get clogged real fast...

My latest thought is to let the framework remember your recently used mods, like Low-Light (-1) when you're exploring a dingy warehouse. Whenever you make a roll, it would be at the top of a list of recent modifiers, so you could remember to check it.

Or maybe "favorite" mods. So everyone might want Smartlink (+2), but the shaman might want Spirit Guide (+2), and so on.

But once again, that might be over-complicating things, and I would need to brainstorm some kind of layout.
Paradox wrote:I just bought the book in hopes of using the FW to help me run it online.
Awesome! If you got any questions, ask away.
My D&D 4e Campaign FrameworkMy Shadowrun 4e Campaign Framework
RPGA#: 5223846427 — Skype: Veggiesama — Fear the ferret.

Sigalig
Kobold

Post by Sigalig »

My group used this to play around with SR4 since we were missing some players from our usual DND4e session. We used the Food Fight 4.0 scenario, and everything went smoothly. Very handy framework. Thanks.

User McUser
Kobold

Post by User McUser »

Veggiesama wrote:I wonder if anyone is still using this framework?
We use it every other weekend when we play SR4. :) Thanks so much for creating this!

Ruhrpottpatriot
Kobold

Post by Ruhrpottpatriot »

But once again, that might be over-complicating things, and I would need to brainstorm some kind of layout.
maybe include some text field to manually include the modifiers. My self-written macros for Dark Heresy have a textbox for situational modiefiers, so that I as a GM and player can take into account not only the basic 10,20,30 modifiers, but more detailes modifiers as -25 for example. Maybe something similar is possible for this (great) SR framework.

CeaDawg
Kobold

Post by CeaDawg »

Veggie, I installed the FW per the instructions in the post you made (http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=9002, on Sun, Apr 26, 2009, 5:23am) with instructions for us noobs. I have windows XP home SP3 with Java 1.6.0_18 & 0_21 installed, and 1Gb set for the cache. Following your steps from the post, I'm getting 2 errors when I try the dice roller in the Campaign window or in the selection window. The first error tells me I have to change the Lib:SR4 property type to Token, which shows in the chat dialog window, just before the token pops up "Speaking as:<Token Name>" (Token Name being the selected token, or "No token selected"). The second error appears in a popup box for java runtimes (posted at the end of this post), that appears to be an endless loop.

Is there something I'm missing here in the way of instruction sets I should have installed first, or do I need to change a configuration setting on my Java?

java.lang.StackOverflowError
at java.util.regex.Pattern$GroupHead.match(Unknown Source)
at java.util.regex.Pattern$Loop.match(Unknown Source)
at java.util.regex.Pattern$GroupTail.match(Unknown Source)
at java.util.regex.Pattern$BranchConn.match(Unknown Source)
at java.util.regex.Pattern$CharProperty.match(Unknown Source)
at java.util.regex.Pattern$Branch.match(Unknown Source)
<Rinse & repeat from the first "at java..." until I click on another Token, or until I exit MT>

CeaDawg
Kobold

Post by CeaDawg »

Eureka!!

Thanks to the video tutorials I now feel like a total yutz. My problem was indeed a configuration error, on my part, that could have been completely avoided if I'd learned to start MapTool properly to begin with. Now that my memory allocation and stack size are set correctly, the frame work has become a true work of art.

Thank you Veggie, and everyone who's put into this project

Now to find good image files to create tokens from.....

Any recommendations for what to put into the handout box of the token configuration page? The tutorial recommended posting the character sheet here. I'm using ISMO's version 3 set of character sheets. I don't think a 12+ page dossier is going to fit in that little box, unless PNGs can be paged like gifs.

Veggiesama
Dragon

Post by Veggiesama »

Thanks! Tell me how it's going for you group.

As for the handouts section, I think that's better for one-shot games where a character sheet can fit on one page. I haven't found a real good use for it otherwise.

Gara
Kobold

Post by Gara »

First things first: Thanks for this excellent framework, my F2F-group just started using it, and it's a blast to keep track of positions in a battle and a real help for the GM.

I'm wondering however, if there is a way to prevent players from viewing the statsheets of NPCs? Strict Token Ownership is on, (MT 1.3.b74), and Players can only view statsheets of objects which belong to them, but with tokens, it doesn't seem to be the case. Regardless of them owning the (NPC)-Token or not, they can simply click on it and view the damage tracks, which... kinda sucks.

Raphael diSanto
Kobold

Post by Raphael diSanto »

I am completely new to RPTools/MapTools, so this is probably a really simple question, but... I downloaded your framework and got it all working and everything.. but, uh.. Where do I put the attributes for each character in? You know.. body/agility/reaction/strength/etc...

Gara
Kobold

Post by Gara »

Raphael diSanto wrote:I am completely new to RPTools/MapTools, so this is probably a really simple question, but... I downloaded your framework and got it all working and everything.. but, uh.. Where do I put the attributes for each character in? You know.. body/agility/reaction/strength/etc...
You don't.
Read the 2nd post in this thread.

Veggiesama
Dragon

Post by Veggiesama »

Gara wrote:I'm wondering however, if there is a way to prevent players from viewing the statsheets of NPCs? Strict Token Ownership is on, (MT 1.3.b74), and Players can only view statsheets of objects which belong to them, but with tokens, it doesn't seem to be the case. Regardless of them owning the (NPC)-Token or not, they can simply click on it and view the damage tracks, which... kinda sucks.
Go to token Edit|Campaign Properties, then on the Token Properties tab, click "Token (SR4)". At the bottom, you'll see *TrackPhysical, *TrackStun, etc. Add a @ next to each * to make the statsheet only visible to owners.
Raphael diSanto wrote:I am completely new to RPTools/MapTools, so this is probably a really simple question, but... I downloaded your framework and got it all working and everything.. but, uh.. Where do I put the attributes for each character in? You know.. body/agility/reaction/strength/etc...
Gara is correct. You'll have to make a dice macro for each separate test you want to do. The framework is designed under the assumption that you'll be making dice macros as you play.

Raphael diSanto
Kobold

Post by Raphael diSanto »

Oh.. Yeah. I went back and re-read everything and now I understand what a 'framework' means and what you were trying to achieve with this. Sorry.

newtim
Kobold

Post by newtim »

Great framework BTW. Been using for awhile now. Trying to write up some additional things myself and finding I don't have the skills.
1. Character sheet to change characteristics easier.
2. A macro for spells that does drain and applies damage.
3. A way for a character to see astral perceived things.

Any information to help me would be awesome. Willing to read, help with anything.
Thank you for time

Veggiesama
Dragon

Post by Veggiesama »

newtim, this wiki and using the forum's search feature is the best way to learn MapTool's scripting language.

1. Use the Campaign Properties to add new properties to your tokens. For example, if you add Strength to the list of properties, you can impersonate a token and type [Strength] in the chat to get that value. I believe you could also use Strength inside the dice roller frame, too.

2. That will be a bit trickier, as you might imagine. For starters, see if you can write a macro that fires the die roller macro, then fires the character sheet macro.

3. From my FAQ:
7. How to handle the astral plane: I recommend that you simply overlay the astral world on top of the real world.

For a projecting player, you might want to give him an astral version of his token, give it the Astral Projection and Astral Sight states, and set his main token to Unconscious.

Unfortunately there is no way to make an specific token visible only to a specific player. Give astral beings the state Astral Projection or Dual-Natured to indicate whether they can be seen/affected by physical party. Hide those creatures if no one in the group possesses Astral Sight.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

It looks like our F2F group may start our SR4 game up soon so I'll be taking a look at this soon! (Looks like it'll be perfect for us, as we'll do all our die-rolling/tracking manually anyway).

Question, has anyone made any sort of Matrix macros? What I'm thinking may be useful for our GM (as I'm playing the hacker), is some way to generate on the fly stats for simple hacking needs. Like PAN's.

It's always something like "I want to hack that guys commlink and read his email" or "hack that guys headware and prevent him from calling out" and then the GM goes "um, what are the the general stats for a commlink/cyberware..."

So something that would generate a random PAN based on simple criteria like "Easy/cheap, Moderate, Hard/Expensive, SOTA" and maybe randomly toss in an armor program or IC (as I believe you can technically load IC and such even on an cyberarm!) occassionally.

This maybe could be expanded to generate a simple server or node. Thoughts? If no one has something like this, would it be handy? (I'd be willing to work on a drop-in lib token)
-Jamz

Return to “Shadowrun 4e Frameworks”