Is Maptools Dead?

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

JML
Dragon

Re: Is Maptools Dead?

Post by JML »

Altrunchen wrote:So...I've noticed a distinct lack of updates or new versions for maptool, is there anything I can do to help speed things up perhaps?
username seems quite lonely working on the next MapTool version and is looking for testers. I didn't have enough time to really help him in any way by now, but may be you could contact him : RPTools "next" Git Repository

femanon
Cave Troll

Post by femanon »

functionality wise maptools still has a lot of stagnation. I'm working on a portable framework that can be inserted on a token by token basis from the player side, with extensive character sheet, logging tools, and the like. Its pretty above my head, especially with mt's limited HTML implementation. I'm mostly choking now on the execution as I have a functional understanding of how to put the moving parts together.

Basically its a robust system with a lot of features, variables stored in properties are retrieved and looped to execute macros. this should hopefully cut down a bit on clutter and slowdown, while providing an easy to use hub that I can tinker with to my hearts content without needing four windows open in other programs to keep my self up to date with sheet information and the like. The reason I go into detail with this is that the main roadblocks I experiance are a functionality issue of MT. the lack of sound, the limited way in which token images can be changed requiring tables, and therefore DM access. the outdated html makes finding information about what lines of mark up will function properly in it difficult, and CSS so far has eluded my efforts to implement it. Lack of extensive layer systems makes truly stunning maps a chore to put together despite my interest in doing so, and makes changing them after the fact a virtual nightmare.

I think it says something that maptools is the best program out there as a VTT. Even its aesthetics regularly delivers stronger impressions merely because despite the engines poor GUI it still has the slickest and most versatile support for high resolution files and functional if finicky gif support, stealing fantasy grounds thunder that way. It's got so much going for it. I wish idle ideas would deliver their promises despite their frustrating silence as it was the greatest news to me that I might have a chance of working in a system that would let me do all the things I can't do in MT right now simply because of the engine limitations without having to spend 5 years of my life learning programming and java. now more and more it seems i'll be waiting untill I've mastered enough java to do the work myself, I'm a snails pace worker so thats pretty disappointing.

In short I find it hard to think of MT as Dead, its got so much going for it. but as it grows older, its starting to feel like its not worth putting a terrible ammount of effort releasing stuff for it as a platform. I certainly grow weary of making any maps in it in the hopes I will be able to at some point in the near future use a more robust layer system.

Matt
Kobold

Post by Matt »

> I'm working on a portable framework that can be inserted on a token by token basis from the player side, with extensive character sheet, logging tools, and the like. Its pretty above my head, especially with mt's limited HTML implementation
> but as it grows older, its starting to feel like its not worth putting a terrible ammount of effort releasing stuff for it as a platform

You can't guilt trip someone into working on their free software. Work on your updates, or don't. :)

All software eventually goes into retirement, so you're going to spend your life looking for a VTT that's perpetually maintained, free, and has the capabilities you need. That's an uphill battle for sure.

femanon
Cave Troll

Post by femanon »

Matt wrote:> I'm working on a portable framework that can be inserted on a token by token basis from the player side, with extensive character sheet, logging tools, and the like. Its pretty above my head, especially with mt's limited HTML implementation
> but as it grows older, its starting to feel like its not worth putting a terrible amount of effort releasing stuff for it as a platform

You can't guilt trip someone into working on their free software. Work on your updates, or don't. :)

All software eventually goes into retirement, so you're going to spend your life looking for a VTT that's perpetually maintained, free, and has the capabilities you need. That's an uphill battle for sure.
I'm not trying to guilt trip anyone into doing anything, with the exception of mote, since people actually payed for it. Maybe you should take a look at this threads topic, then ask yourself why I would share my opinions on the longevity and problems facing maptool?

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

There is a test version for build 91 that has just hit. Not sure when it will be released but I know Craig is actively working on getting it out. I've tested it and it runs fine. In fact, I think it works a lot better than some of the 80-something builds. I would guess it will appear on the main download page in a week (just a guess).

You can find the build here.

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25462
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Simetradon
Cave Troll

Post by Simetradon »

Nope, not dead. I'm currently creating macros for a 5th Edition game that will be running soon, although I'm not the DM.

RPG GM
Kobold

Post by RPG GM »

Good to see its not dead! That would make me sad, I just joined. Hehe

smaudet2
Cave Troll

Post by smaudet2 »

Better question, is there a 1.4 version coming out?

There are a lot of things that would be nice to update with this version...source code control being one of them.

I have to open this thing up in a fairly antiquated system to get it to build...or do a lot of config in a newer one.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

currently there are several branches under construction. There is a 1.4 alpha created by craig somewhere on the forum. There is also MOTE which is a complete overhaul and entirely different direction of maptool. i guess you can search for the first here and google for the other.

Return to “General Discussion”