Export Screenshot via macro

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Zuljita
Cave Troll

Post by Zuljita »

Would it be possible to have a macro export a screen shot on a macro press?
Application: I have a turn advance macro I use, I'd love to be able to have it spit out an image for the state of the battle as we move along, then I can worry about blogging it later.
Bonus points if it could name each screenshot and export a tiny bit of log based on the chat above it.

Not sure if any of these are technically feasible, but I'd love to discuss it.
I run Dungeons On Automatic. Feel free to check it out.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Export Screenshot via macro

Post by aliasmask »

Not with in MT. There are some apps that allow you to take progressive screen shots that save it immediately to your drive. I don't know any off hand, but I'm sure they exist.

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

Screenpresso will do that, in a fairly sophisticated way (it's pretty smart about identifying various parts of a window), but I don't know of any way to automate it.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

I've added it as an issue to track and will probably add it to my fork.

https://github.com/JamzTheMan/MapTool/issues/38
-Jamz

Zuljita
Cave Troll

Post by Zuljita »

Thanks!

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

As a workaround...

If you are on Windows (maybe other platforms) and use Dropbox, then you can take screenshots the normal way (Print Screen key) and they will get dropped in your Dropbox/Screenshots folder time/date tagged.

Zuljita
Cave Troll

Post by Zuljita »

I like the idea, would drop huge 2x1080p pictures into dropbox... I'd love it if it could just snap a picture of my maptool view. Thanks though, I may fall back on that.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Alternate alternate solution, bind an external macro (to mouse, keyboard, etc) that does a Control+Shift+S to bring up the dialog and (hopefully) enter after a delay to create export using last settings?
-Jamz

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

OK, here's a way to do, more or less, what you want:

There is a program (Windows and iOS only) called ScreenPresso. https://www.screenpresso.com/ There is a free version (which is what I've tested this with).

It will run in portable mode, without being installed.

Start up ScreenPresso and minimize it with the Close button (it will minimize to the system tray).

Get MapTool running.

<PrintScreen> will now activate ScreenPresso's function that lets you select a portion of the screen to copy with the mouse. Do this at the beginning, and select the map area of MapTool (or whatever you want).

When you want to do an a new screen shot, use <Shift><PrintScreen> to capture the same area as the last time.

By default, it saves them to the ScreenPresso folder in My Pictures, but this can be changed in the Settings windows (the wrench in the top right corner). The file names are the date and time.

My test captures are 1064 x 867 pixels, and run about 174 kb each.

It defaults to only saving 40 images, and the ScreenPresso windows pops up when you do a capture, but both of these can be changed in the Settings window (under Screenshot), as can the file name pattern, the image format, hot key definitions, and some other stuff. There is also an option to have it start automatically with Windows (I suspect you have to install it for that, rather than using portable mode).

This is all the free version. The $24 version probably has additional capabilities.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Zuljita wrote:I like the idea, would drop huge 2x1080p pictures into dropbox... I'd love it if it could just snap a picture of my maptool view. Thanks though, I may fall back on that.
If you use Alt-PrtScrn it just captures the active Window. That would be the whole MapTool gui if you aren't using Full-Screen in MapTool.

Zuljita
Cave Troll

Post by Zuljita »

Some neat ideas here. I'll try to get some testing done and maybe have a cooler summary for my players/readers. Thanks!

MichaelGlame
Kobold

Post by MichaelGlame »

Yeah I know...wanted to SS it a long time ago...only when Im ready to hit the print srcn button the frost is over.

Now I finally got it...only to bad his head is a bit off...

Return to “General Discussion”