Nice to meet you ...

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Provos
Kobold

Re: Nice to meet you ...

Post by Provos »

aliasmask wrote:
Provos wrote:I finally decided to register and post. I have been using MapTool for about two years.
Welcome to the community. So what made you come out of the lurkers closet?
I just checked back to this thread randomly. I didn't realize I would get a response from anyone. I decided to join instead of just lurking so I could ask question and reply to posts. I realy haven't done much of that as of yet but I may get around to it. :P

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Just be sure to start a new thread for your questions, probably in the MapTool or General Discussion forums. This one is for introductions...

Darkcrystal
Kobold

Post by Darkcrystal »

salvation to all.
I have tried many virtual table as fantasy ground, D20pro, rolisteam, etc ... but I think MapTool detaches these competitors. For three reasons, it is free, great community, and editable. That others are not systematically.
I congratulate the creators.
However, MapTool deserves further progress, and fix its bugs. I want to help the team in the future. I'm not a programmer, but graphic. Window, button, tester, this is what I can do.
I started the wiki, and I started my own framework, I find myself a little helpless because the functions are not incorporated.
thank you and see you soon.

jamie c
Kobold

New guy looking for adventure

Post by jamie c »

Confession: In a recent home-improvement frenzy, I threw out all my old D&D manuals, modules and miniatures that I hadn't used since the 80s. The more I think about it, the sadder I get and start yearning to revisit those high days of adventure. Old friends wouldn't be interested these days. I tried to get a game on in the 90's and after half an hour those guys wanted to go to the bar instead. So now I think the best way I'm gonna get in on a game with some committed adventurers is to look online. I need to check out the tools on this site, brush up on the more recent rule sets and should be good to go. I'm 41 yo from UK, Archaeology graduate, worked as a schoolteacher, now working with the homeless and counselling for mental health. Play drums in a metal band and love online karaoke too. Played online RPGs for years (Everquest & EVE online) but I don't think anything beats what we can create using our imagination in old-fashioned RPGs. Hope to meet some of you guys soon and rekindle this interest. I might need a little help learning the ropes :)

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Welcome to the community. I wouldn't worry too much about learning MT at first. There are some video tutorials linked under community on the main site that I highly recommend watching. It'll give you a good idea of what can be done and then you can learn/do as you need. When you ready to jump in to a game, post under Looking for Group | Dungeons and Dragons and be sure put the system(s) in the thread header. For example "[LFG Pathfinder] New to PF but experienced player" or something like that so DMs looking know what they're getting in to. If you can squeeze in your availability and time zone, that would be a plus too. But, you'll have better luck replying to LFP requests directly.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Re: New guy looking for adventure

Post by Jagged »

jamie c wrote: I tried to get a game on in the 90's and after half an hour those guys wanted to go to the bar instead.
This is why an important require for any game is a decent supply of beer :)

GoldenEye50
Kobold

Post by GoldenEye50 »

Hello!

I am GoldenEye, I live in US, I found maptools while searching for a way to play Star Wars Saga Edition rpg without having to spend a ton of money on miniatures. Also I am interested in D&D but only own Star Wars roleplaying books. I am a noob when it comes to roleplaying but I am eager to learn more

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Well-met, GoldenEye50!

We have some folks here who play SW but it's not my particular genre so I don't know how many. Look around a bit and I'm sure you'll find some players/GMs. In particular, the Looking For Game forum is a good place to start...

rustydiamond
Kobold

Post by rustydiamond »

hello everyone : )
I'm a complete n00b concerning all this, but I've been wanting to get into tabletop roleplaying for a while now, it seems really interesting and superfun! after I chanced upon a livestream of a maptools campaign, I've just gotten even more enamoured with the idea and would love to find a group that doesn't mind tutoring a newcomer. came here before the LFG forum because I wanted to know if there is anything I should do before, like buying manuals or suchlike? any hints for the greenhorn?
I hope to meet more of you soon and am looking forward to future adventures!

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

rustydiamond wrote:hello everyone : )
I'm a complete n00b concerning all this, but I've been wanting to get into tabletop roleplaying for a while now, it seems really interesting and superfun! after I chanced upon a livestream of a maptools campaign, I've just gotten even more enamoured with the idea and would love to find a group that doesn't mind tutoring a newcomer. came here before the LFG forum because I wanted to know if there is anything I should do before, like buying manuals or suchlike? any hints for the greenhorn?
I hope to meet more of you soon and am looking forward to future adventures!
welcome rusty. There are plenty of groups out there, though what ive picked up from it is that starting your own group as dm will speed things up a lot. Gathering from your post though i guess thats currently not really an option. As for manuals, concerning dd3.5e google srd20 and theres your manual. There are also plenty of frameworks out there that do not require you to start buying stuff immediately. Just post in lfg and see where it gets you!

good luck.

JML
Dragon

Post by JML »

I'd also suggest looking for a club or association in your own town or searching for your national RPG federation site if there is one.

Edit: … and of course contacting local game shops who usually know local playing groups.

prodyn
Kobold

Post by prodyn »

My introduction, I've been lurking on the forums for a while and decided to post. I discovered RPTools while looking for a way to share and interact with a group of people that wanted to play a non-video game. My first discovery was actually a toolset called Vassal, which has it's own limitations. RPTools on the other hand is very easy to setup and is adaptable to just about any game type.

Keep up the good work with RPTools.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

thank you prodyn for the kind words and welcome to this forum! There aren't currently many new users though who find the installation of MT 'easy', due to the current incompatibility with java 7 (which will soon be fixed in the next release). So just to be sure I'd like to ask: are you sure that you and your friends all have java 6 installed? If not, check the announcements of this forum for more info.

Cherno
Giant

Post by Cherno »

Hello all,

I've already posted quite a bit on these fine forums but now may be the time to introdcue myself properly.

I'm 29 years old from Germany and I mostly play ameritrash boardgames like Arkham Horror, Gear of War, dungeon crawlers, Last Night On Earth... That kinda stuff. In between, I have mixed a lot of short-lives miniatuer game campaigns with cardboard and paper as my preferred medium as I like tinkering with stuff.

Here are some of my past miniature gaming projects, all in cardboard.

1. Strange Aeons / Lovecraftian Horror
2. All Things Zombie
3. BattleTech
4. Hired Guns
5. D&D Dark Sun
6. My Sin City Project
7. Future Noir: The Department
8. Shocking Tales of Madness and... Cardboard?!? My take on Strange Aeons

Lately, I discovered Maptools and promptly started a 4E Dark Sun campaign which was tremendous fun and I'm looking forward to using the program in many more rpg gaming sessions. My gaming buddies also liked the program and were pretty intrigued by the possibilities like line of sight and fog of war. So as long as I can keep things fresh, Maptools will hit the TV screen again.

Return to “General Discussion”