Nice to meet you ...

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Kepli
Giant

Post by Kepli »

Dorpond ... I think I like you :D LOL

Seems the everage age of people on here reflects the avaerage age I see on other forums that are build around RPG themes ;)
You should visit a Dutch RPG forum ... you will feel very, very old (average age about 25).

dLANbandit
Dragon

Post by dLANbandit »

Big_Mac wrote: Originally Born in Fort Rucker, AL.
read as Originally Born in UCLA.

dLANbandit
Dragon

Post by dLANbandit »

dorpond wrote:
Steel Rat wrote: Sounds more like ADD, lol, and that's NOT AD&D. ;)
Not at all close - Actually someone with ADD can't keep focus on anything.
Actually they can, it is just much more difficult. And I have found that most are actually quite good at multitasking as a side effect.

Dark_Wyvern
Cave Troll

Post by Dark_Wyvern »

Hi all,

I lived in Arkansas for most of my life until I graduated high school in '95 and joined the Air Force. After Basic in Texas I went to Spangdahlem Germany for five years where I met my wife, who is from Turkey, and had my first child, a boy (6 yrs). I left there and went to Offutt AFB in Nebraska for four years and finally ended up at Luke AFB in Phoenix AZ, where my daughter (17 mo.) was born.

I started playing AD&D 2nd ed. in High School and continued while in Germany. When I moved to Offutt 3.5 just came out and I was lucky enough to find some people at work to play with. We worked shifts, so when we were on mids we would play at work. We took care of the long haul communications there so we had loads of free time when nothing was down. After moving to Phoenix I have not been able to find a good group locally to play with, so i started looking for ways to play over the internet, which led me here. The one person that I have found is a co-creator of the rpg The Riddle of Steel. If you want a veary realistic combat system, check it out. A bit too involved for fantasy settings though, IMO.

I worked in the network infrastructure shop here at Luke until last wednesday. I now work in the standards and evaluations shop where we make sure everyone knows what they are doing before we let them work on the network. Lots of paperwork over-the-shoulder looking :(

I'm also working on my Psychology degree, I'm about a year away. Well that's pretty much me. Boring, I know.

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

I know, I was just kidding. Actually I think I have ADD, since I can't seem to finish anything.
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

dLANbandit
Dragon

Post by dLANbandit »

Steel Rat wrote:
I know, I was just kidding. Actually I think I have ADD, since I can't seem to finish anything.
That is called Stamina. Or in DnD Constitution. ;)

mudpyr8
Giant

Post by mudpyr8 »

I'm married with 2 kids (girls 5 & 2). I have been gaming since '80, starting with D&D although the first game I ever bought was Gamma World and I have been a mutant ever since.

By profession I am an IT leader, specializing in infrastructure and security, although by education I am a programmer and I use those powers mostly for web and gaming. These days I focus on Python.

I started playing Champions in '83 and aside from a love affair with GURPS, a fling with RoleMaster, and an abusive relationship with d20, I play Hero System. My neighbor runs a HackMaster game every Monday night so I head over there after the kids are asleep - beats TV.

In the heady days of the d20 boom we started a d20 setting, even submitting it to WoTC during their contest. We made it far enough that we even spoke with the WoTC lawyers but some other upstart setting (Ebberron) beat us out. It was about that time that our 2 weekly playtest campaigns took a nose dive due to the rules that we recast the setting in Hero and haven't looked back. We are now close to publication with a 300+ page manuscript under license from Hero Games and are very excited.

I am one of the few hex users and non-d20 gamers for MapTool and am very excited with how the tool has evolved and the openness, and responsiveness of the team. I attend many cons annually (Origins and GenCon among them) and I use a laptop + LCD to run my games at the cons using MapTool. It is ideal because I can carry one bag, 5 adventures, and have all the encounters set up ahead of time.

I made the switch to digital gaming about 4-5 years ago with Klooge 1.0. I sold my minis collection, dismantled my game table, and used the money to buy a projector. At home I run my games from laptop + projector with my crew sitting comfortably in couches and easy chairs. I wouldn't have it any other way. I have the added benefit of a 120" screen for movies and video games so it is a win all around.

I play d20 every now and then, even the D&D for cash at GenCon, but my passion is for Hero. If you ever want to talk Hero, drop me a line, or meet up with me at a con. All of my events are "sponsored" by Legendsmiths, Inc., and with rare exception are Hero events. I did just run a RoleMaster adventure but at the end we concluded that it would have been more enjoyable as a GURPS or Hero adventure, so I probably won't do that again.

Nice to meet you all.
Legendsmiths presents:
NOVA6, streamlined universal RPG where action happens at the speed of narrative
Narosia * Sea of Tears, a complete fantasy game powered by the Hero System.

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

Hailing from the Great white North (Canadar), I work in health care as a Sterilizer Tech.

Cut my teeth with 1E AD&D, Traveller, Boothill, Gammaworld, RQ and Cthulhu... (I really should combine them all into one game sometime.. ;) )

Working on training my significant other into gaming. Got the board games covered, now have to get her into Roleplaying... which she's good at, but if we are to involve others, I have to show her the kind that involves clothes... ;)

Self taught computer geek who loves taking apart and building my own computers... just have to remember to do it when they are not needed...

Difficult to find non 3.x rpgers, so I turned to gaming OL... Board game country up here... which is good too :)
Game On!

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

Working on training my significant other into gaming. Got the board games covered, now have to get her into Roleplaying... which she's good at, but if we are to involve others, I have to show her the kind that involves clothes... Wink
Nah, have her wear that shoolgirl outfit, you'll find it will spice up for games immensely ;)
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Let's see... Like dorpond, I'm a dreamer.

For me, that means that I often bite off more than I can chew. Normally the issue is time, since I'm a self-employed computer consultant. I spend my time flying around the country (sometimes the world) teaching employees how to use the computers their company just bought. That's sometimes something relatively simple, like an "Introduction to Linux", but in some cases a little more complex, like device driver development or operating system internals. I try to stay away from Windows as much as possible -- I find it impossible to actually know how anything works without source code, so Windows holds absolutely no allure for me.

My beautiful wife of 7 years is thankfully very forgiving about my computer obsession, as well as my D&D gaming (she tried playing, but it's not for her). We both recognize that we have a good life together: love, life, health, and happiness. What more is there?

There are no kids for us. We married late (I was 36 and she was 41) and one of the first conversations we had was about children, so we got that straightened out right away!

(Reminds me of the Rodney Dangerfield joke, "I have 3 beautiful children. Thank God my wife cheats on me!" ;))

At the age of 35, I set a target to retire at 50 without killing myself to get there. That's not going to happen! So now I've set my sights on 55, and that might be possible. I want to travel the world with Beth while we're still young and mobile, and then travel the USA as we get older and don't want to sit on a plane for hours and hours.

And you're not DEEP SOUTH unless you live in Florida, such as our house in the Tampa Bay area. ;) Although most of the people living here are transplants, so it often feels more like New York or Pennsylvania to a native -- everyone else is from a northern state!

I started played 1E while in high school and moved quickly to AD&D and then 2E, but after college I gave it up for awhile. I got back into it before 3.0E came out and fortunately had kept most of the library I had built up. When 3E came out, I was (understandably) annoyed that I wouldn't be able to use my library as easily or as often, but I greatly admired the amount of work that went into it. 3E was clearly a better gaming system in terms of rule design and playtesting. I then moved to 3.5E about a year after its release, dreading the entire book-buying spree again. And I think the OGL and the SRD are the greatest thing for D&D gamers since sliced bread.

Dorpond got me here from a post on the DM Genie forums. I had been looking for something to use with a projector (I bought one primarily for gaming, but it's been mostly gathering dust :(), but MapTool has worked so well, that having each pair of players share a laptop is working great with our 100% face-to-face gaming group.

Fobbo
Giant

Post by Fobbo »

hmmmm lets see about me...

I am 30 about to turn 31 Feb 15th, also getting married on June 23rd to a very special woman for putting up with me for my D&D and video game obsessions. We have a beautiful, smart (gets that from his mother) 4 year old little man.

I am a Pre-Sales Engineer for a Business Process and Enterprise Architecture solutions company. We have a software product and the consulting staff for it. What I do is demo the product to prospects and also work the conferences around the country. So between any in person demos (most of the demos are given via gotomeeting or webex) and the conferences I travel a lot.

I first started with 1E AD&D with my brother and some cousins. From that point on I feel in love with RPG's both pen and paper and then later on with computer and console games. I have played and DM/GM many games before, 1E AD&D, 2E AD&D, Marvel superheros, TMNT, Robotect, and Rifts. When 3.5 came out I was hooked back into D&D as I was GM Rifts a lot.

The need for a VT came about with one of our players moving to a different state so I started the long search for a good VT, having tried many of them I finally found Maptool and it has been a god send. We have changed from a mostly in person gaming group to mostly virtual as it is easier for those with families. It will also be used when the family move to NC in the very near future. I also use DM Genie and like Dorpond have singed the praise of Maptool on that forum.

Well enough about me, I look forward to seeing what Trevor and team develop and hopefully I can contribute what I can.

Heroman
Cave Troll

Post by Heroman »

Heyas,
I am 39 hailing from Upstate NY with 2 cute lil girls and wonderful wife who allows me to get out for my night of gaming (she herself is more of a computer gamer and just hit 60 with her WoW warrior :) ). I've been gaming since probably 82 or so, freshman high school (Catholic HS none the less!), starting with the good ol Basic D&D boxed set (thinking about it I may have gotten the D&D books prior but never actually played a real game til HS).

To fund my gaming habit (well and to eat, provide shelter), I am a developer (mainly Linux/C/Java/security).

I have gone though my fair share of games, with the required 1/2 (A)D&D series, luckily weened off before d20. Heroes Unlimited/TMNT/Rifts was quite a passion for a while, (mega) Traveller (hmm...sucky character....go scouts!!!), Rolemaster, Spacemaster (with perhaps the most amoral and psychologically scarey PC I have played), Toon (with my favorite Freddy Ruxpin, the Nightmare Bear), Vagabond (with my thug bunny), a drop of Gurps, recently played Serenity, a very large amount of Call Of Cthulhu (perhaps my most favorite system), and (as you may tell by my name), an avid Heroes Gamer since college (most of the genres). I likely have dabbled in several others but am proud to announce I have not played any d20 games.

I am currently in an online game (Serenity) and play in 2 face-to-face games, a Star Hero (which I run) and a Fantasy Hero.

I have poked at different online pnps. I have mainly used OpenRPG (and have developed for it, namely enhancing the Hero die roller, the history view, and the code for the alias icon on the toolbar, along with a Hero Initiative plugin). I have also used/coded ScreenMonkey (likely doubling the effective usefulness of it with an attribute editor, a slew of functions, and a redesign of the main page, along with foundations of a css based mini mover before I gave up from apathy on the part of the owner).

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Heroman wrote:Heyas,
I am 39 hailing from Upstate NY.....
Where exactly? I live in Orchard Park.
Small world, huh?

Heroman
Cave Troll

Post by Heroman »

Canandaigua, actually (a bit east of Rochester), though originally hailing from Newark NY area.

And yes, we all hate Buffalo-nians for stealing our 716, in case you were wondering :evil:

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

-bump-

There's a fair few new faces around so I thought I'd bump the post and see if we get any more bios :)

Return to “General Discussion”