Rifts \ Palladium

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Tomimy
Kobold

Rifts \ Palladium

Post by Tomimy »

Trying to see if anyone has a set up template for Rifts macros, maps, whatever you got.

Jector
Great Wyrm

Re: Rifts \ Palladium

Post by Jector »

I don't know of any frameworks for it yet. My friend Tom may cobble one together sometime, but I don't know.

I did make a GlitterBoy found here:
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... &start=165
I cast firecube! ~4E

bsperan
Kobold

Post by bsperan »

Nicely done Glitterboy! I'm impressed!

I am also quite interested in any RIFTS / Palladium stuff for MapTool. In particular, I'd love to see some macros, templates and such. Eventually, I might have to make some of these for myself - assuming I ever get around to running something.

If your friend does finish some frameworks for RIFTS, please let us know about it.

PS: Is there anyone else interested in a RIFTS campaign on MapTool? I often find campaigns for other games, such as D&D 4E, D20, and GURPS, but I've not seen an interest in Palladium RIFTS until I found this thread. I guess the Megadamage system and other rules intimidates many potential players into disliking it. (But that's why some GM's opt for using House Rules and making adjustments to the damage system...)

Jector
Great Wyrm

Post by Jector »

Thanks! I thought he turned out pretty good. I still have the PSP file so I may change some angles on limbs and stuff for a couple different poses at some point.

I don't know why anyone would be alarmed by megadamage. It's a very simple system. Palladium in general is relatively uncomplicated as RPGs go. The hardest thing to do in that game is figure out what the hell you want to play.

I'll keep you posted on any Riftlike things that develop. I don't know if Mot has any plans to make anything yet, and if he does it will likely be only some basic macros vs an actual framework, but I'll keep everyone posted.
I cast firecube! ~4E

Jector
Great Wyrm

Post by Jector »

Well, crap. Completely forgot about the character sheets and SAMAS. Here's links to the gallery instead of just the posts.

http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/Jector/Tools/

http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/Jector/topdown/
I cast firecube! ~4E

Ryuu Kage Desu
Cave Troll

Post by Ryuu Kage Desu »

Ok, I grabbed up some of those state icons, but I'm not sure how to set them.
Overcome your mental barriers and open your mind.
Do this and the answers that elude you will be placed at your feet.
Then again, answers are meaningless without the questions.

Jector
Great Wyrm

Post by Jector »

In MapTool, go to "Edit", "Campaign Properties".

A pop up box will appear.
Go to the "States" tab.

Enter a "Name" for your state, like Wounded, or Stunned.
Just below Name is "Type" where you should select "Image" for a state that covers the whole token or "Corner Image" for a state that shows up smaller in a grid (the selection below that will let you set where the state shows up).
Now the "Browse" button should be available (if the Type isn't set to Image or Corner Image the Browse button will be grayed out). Click Browse and select the image state.
When you've selected the image, named it, and selected its particulars like who sees it and its transparency, click the "Add" button and the state will be added to your campaign. Be sure to "Export" your campaign framework afterwords.
I cast firecube! ~4E

Ryuu Kage Desu
Cave Troll

Post by Ryuu Kage Desu »

Skipped a few steps earlier, thanks.
Overcome your mental barriers and open your mind.
Do this and the answers that elude you will be placed at your feet.
Then again, answers are meaningless without the questions.

patnodewf
Cave Troll

Post by patnodewf »

Have any frameworks popped up for Rifts yet?
My form-fillable PDF Character Sheet for Pathfinder can be found here.

Simetradon
Cave Troll

Post by Simetradon »

Well, I did all the macros for Chaos 6010, a similar game, and it only has a singular rulebook at the moment (and no MDC). It took me a little over a week, and I only bothered with the lower level (1 to 14) powers and such.

In contrast, a full on framework, encompassing the massive amount of work that Palladium cranked out, would be a monumental achievement. Considering that, to my knowledge), they don't have an online rules repository like the Pathfinder or 3.5 SRD's, it would require an individual, or group, to pore through a number of books in order to have any sense of "completeness".

Something simple could probably be cobbled together in a few weeks or months, depending on the manpower provided. However, then you run into the issue of always having a player who wants to play something from an obscure book...

patnodewf
Cave Troll

Post by patnodewf »

Simetradon wrote:In contrast, a full on framework, encompassing the massive amount of work that Palladium cranked out, would be a monumental achievement.
Yea, I completely agree. Perhaps a better route would be to pursue a more bare-bones framework, and leave a lot of the complexities to the players/GM to manage. Off the top of my head, I am thinking that a few essentials would be: damage tracking (probably without bars), skill usage, and perhaps a combat macro or three (attack, dodge, pull/roll)?

Lee
Dragon

Post by Lee »

I was a Rifts fan back in the day. We never did clock in more than 10 sessions before moving on to something else. Whenever I saw the stats on the Atlantean Overlords, Vampiric Intelligences, the Four Horsemen and, basically, every supernatural power out there, it just just seems there is no hope that a PC party could ever take one those entities down :lol:

You guys should start something, even small. It starts to snowball the more you put into it. My suggestion is to start with making good data structures and templates, and not the attack system (or other systems for that matter). It's because, when you got those down, adding new material would be easy in the future, even if the source would be an obscure book. Furthermore, building a system over good data is easier than the other way around. IIRC, Palladium/RIFTS had a straightforward system, which is a boon since passing parameters to consolidating macros will be easy.

patnodewf
Cave Troll

Post by patnodewf »

Lee wrote:You guys should start something, even small. It starts to snowball the more you put into it. My suggestion is to start with making good data structures and templates, and not the attack system (or other systems for that matter). It's because, when you got those down, adding new material would be easy in the future, even if the source would be an obscure book. Furthermore, building a system over good data is easier than the other way around. IIRC, Palladium/RIFTS had a straightforward system, which is a boon since passing parameters to consolidating macros will be easy.
I do have a copy of Visio lying around. If they'd help, I could work on an Entity Relationship Diagram (ERD) or two; perhaps a Data-Flow Diagram (DFD) or two also. Could help with planning out some sort of structure, and go from there if/when needed - as opposed to just jumping straight into maptool and missing details.

To ensure that labels are accurately interpreted, I might need someone to translate the objects and resources in maptool for me, though, into something I can label/describe in the diagrams appropriately. I'll admit that I'm not completely fluent with all of the terminology used throughout maptool. I have been able to understand enough so far to accomplish, what seems to me as, fairly basic tasks.

A system (or framework, in our case) analyst's work could take a few months though, before ever starting to implement any sort of code. If there's a place for me to fit in, with a project like this, I'd be willing to help out.

If we start with just looking at the surface, and progressively peel back the layers, we should be able to identify which components to work on from there. We can get to macros and forms after we pin down various things like campaign properties for tokens, bars, status effects, etc.

Return to “General Discussion”