Bard's Guild (contains recommended logos!)

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

RPTroll
TheBard

Re: Bard's Guild (contains recommended logos!)

Post by RPTroll »

We'll they haven't answered yet but they have answered others. I'll ping them a few more times (trolls are pestiferous that way) then give up.

I have another I'll try next. It's free. Let's just hope this one stays that way.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

I had a request for using the MapTool logo on a gamer's web site. I told him that's fine, use it as he wishes, but I also said it was licensed under the Attribution-NoDeriv license from the CreativeCommons.org folks.

Now I'm not so sure this is what we want so I'd like to get the community's input.

My thought is that use of any of the RPTools art work which was donated for this project's use should be allowed by any and all with just two conditions: don't modify the art and redistribute it (it could confuse users), and give credit to the rptools.net project. That last part is satisfied if, for example, a logo appears on a web site and the image is a link back to rptools.net.

What do others think of that approach? I scanned the forums with a quick search and didn't see anything stating this specifically, so if we all think this is a good idea then I'll write it up and add it to our main site as well as the FAQ here on the forum. Thanks!

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

I agree. As long as it's used for non-commercial use with a link back to rptools. If someone wants to use the art for commercial purposes they should probably contact the artists involved.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Azhrei wrote:I had a request for using the MapTool logo on a gamer's web site. I told him that's fine, use it as he wishes, but I also said it was licensed under the Attribution-NoDeriv license from the CreativeCommons.org folks.

Now I'm not so sure this is what we want so I'd like to get the community's input.

My thought is that use of any of the RPTools art work which was donated for this project's use should be allowed by any and all with just two conditions: don't modify the art and redistribute it (it could confuse users), and give credit to the rptools.net project. That last part is satisfied if, for example, a logo appears on a web site and the image is a link back to rptools.net.

What do others think of that approach? I scanned the forums with a quick search and didn't see anything stating this specifically, so if we all think this is a good idea then I'll write it up and add it to our main site as well as the FAQ here on the forum. Thanks!
You might want to double check with Dorpond(and perhaps Trevor), but I believe the current artwork was created by Mosat, so unless he explicitly transferred the license, he is the copyright holder, so attribution would go to him(or however actually created the artwork baring explicit license transfer or release to public domain(in which case the license type seems to be rather silly for attribution...)). I could be wrong on the artist though(though I seem to think it's right.)
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Vhex
Giant

Post by Vhex »

Because the current media of most of the graphics is web, the no adaptations clause of the NoDerivs license would also mean you can't do something like resize the image for your website. You could resize it for print media without violating the license. Just a note to be aware of and if you want to grant that ability, then you need to expressly grant it. Usually this is done with minimum and maximum size guidelines to maintain the integrity of the work. As an example:
The Maptool logo may be resized where necessary to fit design specifications pursuant to the following rules:
1.) The aspect ratio must remain at 1:1.
2.) The image size must not be reduced to less than 64x64 pixels.
3.) The image size must not be increased to more than 300x300 pixels.
4.) The image must not appear as more than 1/3rd the size of the content block it is placed with.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

What about just making your own adaptation of the logo, ie a gear with red dot and dagger in middle?

For example, I did this for the RPEdit token image:

You can find original artist here (I think): http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/RPMiller/Banners/
I'm sure the is a thread somewhere to that talks about creating the logos for the site and perhaps the permissible use.

I also did this: Image

Feel free to use anything from my gallery for non-commercial use.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

eenie weenie jelly beanie - I command you arise! (thread necromancy)

So many good ideas here. Just to let you know I'm reviewing them again and will try to implement a few. Stay tuned.

Return to “General Discussion”