Bard's Guild (contains recommended logos!)

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: Bard's Guild

Post by wolph42 »

As i said in in my earlier post, but let me elaborate this time: i miss the features.
THE reason I chose to use MT in the past was the fact that it was the only VT that supported wfrp. This ws something google told me. Now that I'm a bit more knowledgable in the world of vt's the first thing I would be looking for is
1 which systems does it support and
2 what features does it have.
This is key in choosing a vt. The fact that mt supports virtually any system is nice but the average Joe will first check if his system is supported. IMHO it is vital that you can find both features and supported systems easily. Currently I miss this in you setup.
This is the main reason I created the feature list for mt in the first place. The list of supported system currently is not up to date though but it's a start.

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

I noticed the delay in the font loading and that was an issue for me. I'd recommend somehting that loads faster. Maybe google webfonts would do it?

I agree that the front page should have a feature list clear and central for people to see. Dynamic FOW, multiplatform and supports X systems and growing would be my list of must know about features.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

torstan wrote:I noticed the delay in the font loading and that was an issue for me. I'd recommend somehting that loads faster. Maybe google webfonts would do it?
I saw the same thing. We'll work on it. For some reason they're faster now.
torstan wrote:I agree that the front page should have a feature list clear and central for people to see. Dynamic FOW, multiplatform and supports X systems and growing would be my list of must know about features.
One of the reasons we're using videos is to rapidly convey what RPTools can do. We need a 60 second commercial. I'm rolling ideas in my head right now. One of them involves a testimonial from someone who's group came back together through RPTools' products. That's why RPTools was founded and its the reason many of us are here. Anyone know a good videographer than can help in such an endeavor?

We also need to reword the welcome message to more clearly state what RPTools can do along the lines of what's been discussed above.

In other news I reworked the About Us page. If you're a contributor please look over the page to make sure I have you on there. I can also put links to your blog/web site as well if you'll let me know what the links are.

In still other news, Peddlewin and I had a good discussion today about look and feel. Things will move around (some already have). We're toying with the idea of a roller bar at the bottom with links to RPTools contributors. sponsors, and affiliates.

Tired now. Must rest for game tonight.

Cheers,
Keith

OK. Had this almost ready. We might put something like this on the site for each and every framework.
gameSystems.png
gameSystems.png (236.6 KiB) Viewed 2156 times
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

The commercial is a good idea! Admittantly I remember watching a couple about vbl and FoW and then was REALLY hooked on MT. Still I would prefer a feature list next to it for numerous reasons. To name some:
- it's faster to find what *I* find important
- the others have one (and no you don't want to be *different* you want to *differentiate*.
- it's easier to maintain and update
- you never get that whole list crammed into 60s
So both seam like a good oprion.

I love the system poster!! Awesome idea!! I was wondering though whether you should or should not cover all 'subsystems' with that I mean eg ad&d, d&d 3.5, 4.0, warhammer 40,000 battle, W40k Dark Heresy,W40k Deathwatch,W40k Rogue Trader, etc etc.
Note that I mean different *systems* not *settings*.

Edit: hmm would the use of thes logos not imply copyright infringement?

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

wolph42 wrote:Edit: hmm would the use of thes logos not imply copyright infringement?
That's my fear. Still, it looks cool. :-) Most of the game companies would care with DnD being the one that would.

OK, so maybe a set of videos that show neat stuff that rotate with each visit. Next to that a list of features. You click on these and get to a full blown list of stuff the Tools can do.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

RPTroll wrote:
wolph42 wrote:Edit: hmm would the use of thes logos not imply copyright infringement?
That's my fear. Still, it looks cool. :-) Most of the game companies would care with DnD being the one that would.
Most of the logos are covered by trademarks. As long as the trademarks are acknowledged and include a phrase like, "Use of trademarks herein is not meant to imply recommendation or approval from the trademark owner." (There's a better phrase than that, but I don't remember what it is right now.)
OK, so maybe a set of videos that show neat stuff that rotate with each visit. Next to that a list of features. You click on these and get to a full blown list of stuff the Tools can do.
I think the video should have a scrolling text region along the bottom as well. Maybe clickable links that lead to more involved videos?

Personally I don't like Flash and I avoid it. I have it blocked in FF so I'll never see the video and I rarely (if ever) click on a Flash link. However, animated GIFs have their own problems so a JavaScript-based slideshow might be a better approach for displaying multiple static images. I don't have a good suggestion for video except HTML5 H.264 which has its own problems... :(

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

The slide show is an excellent idea! It's also easier to produce a quality slideshow than a video. Maybe we can get a GIF showing auto-fog removal.

But, speaking of videos, I had a thought last night for a "I am MapTool" commercial (ripping off some big company's idea) asking RPTools users to send in a web clip with them saying that in there native language then ending with "RPTools - Bringing Gamers Together Everywhere"

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

RPTroll wrote: But, speaking of videos, I had a thought last night for a "I am MapTool" commercial (ripping off some big company's idea) asking RPTools users to send in a web clip with them saying that in there native language then ending with "RPTools - Bringing Gamers Together Everywhere"
Brilliant!
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

I think the video concept is brilliant. Only 'I am maptool'? That sounds a bit odd to me. I could think of better sentences but then again I'm not sure what the video is supposed to show?

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

It's supposed to show the RPTools is a community, not a company. It's supposed to show a depth of support and adoption that's world wide. It isn't supposed to show functionality or capability.

From what little I know of advertising, you want to grab people's attention in the first 10-15 seconds cuz in most cases that's all your going to get. Having them relate to an actual user is a way to get them to stick around long enough to find out how really cool RPTools is.

That said, I'm open to any phrase as long as it accomplishes the goals above.

Cweord
Great Wyrm

Post by Cweord »

A thought on the pod cast idea - can they go on an open source option as well as iTunes. The RP community is full of geeks (there is a large arrow pointing at my head right now) that means a large number for and against the apple camp (I for one will never put iTunes on any system I have anything to do with). It it goes on an open source option as well that should cater for both sides of the divide.

Please do not follow this post with an argument for or against apple - this is meant as a request for a more open option, so to take over the thread with the usual flame war that would go with any comment for or against either side.
Cweord

This message has been spell checked by Freudcheck - any mistakes are purley a figment of your imagination.
-------
My Tokens Directory
http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/Cw ... er_Tokens/

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

I think that's a great idea. iTunes lets folks find us and that's the only reason to put it there. We can distribute to any number of other podcast services (assuming apple doesn't have something in the fine print). Often podcasts are distributed on blogs and web sites. I fully expect you'll be able to download the podcasts from RPTools.net.

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

Couple things:
1. Most RPG companies allow the use of their logo being displayed on blogs and such, but have legal documents concerning them. Pathfinder has the Community Use Policy and WotC has one as well.
2. Many High Schools have a AV club that can make a 60 s video for free or very cheap.

Other than that, I really like the new site, but the large black blob takes up too much real estate for nothing(I haven't been there since the original date of this thread). I personally would like to see MapTools get involved with INFRNO's next virtual con. It is a facebook like network, but for people to play RPG's online. Also, hosting one-shots using different systems and different ways(i.e. bare bones MapTools all the way up to automatic everything).

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

neofax wrote:Couple things:
1. Most RPG companies allow the use of their logo being displayed on blogs and such, but have legal documents concerning them. Pathfinder has the Community Use Policy and WotC has one as well.
2. Many High Schools have a AV club that can make a 60 s video for free or very cheap.

Other than that, I really like the new site, but the large black blob takes up too much real estate for nothing(I haven't been there since the original date of this thread). I personally would like to see MapTools get involved with INFRNO's next virtual con. It is a facebook like network, but for people to play RPG's online. Also, hosting one-shots using different systems and different ways(i.e. bare bones MapTools all the way up to automatic everything).
I'll look into INFRNO. I haven't heard of it until now.

The large black blob will be dealt with. It has videos in it but I think that's going to swap out for something else. I think I'll use Az's idea for some sort of slide show. The videos will move down a bit into a post (subject to change without notice). Now that my logo concerns are somewhat soothed, I'll try to get one of the graphics guys to do something betting than my original to post somewhere on the page.

Thanks for all the feedback. It helps a lot.

Return to “General Discussion”