Bard's Guild (contains recommended logos!)

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Re: Bard's Guild

Post by CoveredInFish »

I tried compiling the logos ...

I'm not sure if this is useful at all but its done, so I can as well post it here. My psd file is available if you want to take my tries further...

I'm not sure with the background though ... I tried something plain but am not sure what colour should define the website. So I present here: white! tada. I played a bit with stone and like the outcome - but it doesnt fit the new layout at all, so trash it.

I feel the need to add some "... and more" or "MT is compatible with ..." text?!
Attachments
maptool_compatible_logos_antique.png
maptool_compatible_logos_antique.png (254.59 KiB) Viewed 2419 times
maptool_compatible_logos.png
maptool_compatible_logos.png (307.43 KiB) Viewed 2419 times

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Those look awesome! I like the top one best but I don't know if it goes with the RPTools logo.
RPTools_Logo_144.png
RPTools_Logo_144.png (29.43 KiB) Viewed 2414 times
We'll also need a similar one for operating systems.
Attachments
Mac-Logo.jpg
Mac-Logo.jpg (9.96 KiB) Viewed 2414 times
windows-vista-logo.jpg
windows-vista-logo.jpg (22.95 KiB) Viewed 2414 times
20_9_2009_2_09_3036_linux-logo.png
20_9_2009_2_09_3036_linux-logo.png (13.72 KiB) Viewed 2414 times
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

RPTroll wrote:
wolph42 wrote:Edit: hmm would the use of thes logos not imply copyright infringement?
That's my fear. Still, it looks cool. :-) Most of the game companies would care with DnD being the one that would.
yea.. I was going to bring up the same issue. You can't use the logo's without consent as that would seem to some to be an "endorsement" by the original game system company. Of course, one the positive side, if we COULD get an endorsement from one or more publishers in the long term(perhaps Pinnacle, Hero, or one of the smaller game systems that do not already have a licence deal with a VTT) it might allow for some cross promotion and sales,blah, etc....

I really don't expect this to happen much (if at all....) but how cool would it be for a game company to promote Maptool as the "official" VTT and even offer MapTool compatible resources.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I know some people who know some people affiliated with Hero/Champions. Generally speaking, they're pretty cool over there. Here's their licensing page if you want permission to post logos and stuff: http://www.herogames.com/policies.htm

But here is some pertinent text:
IV. WHAT YOU CAN DO IF WE GIVE YOU PERMISSION
It's our opinion and policy that you may, with our direct permission and approval, and according to these guidelines and restrictions, post the following to a website:
A. Logos and Marks: You may use our trademarks and logos, if you do the following:
1. You use them only in conjunction with discussions of the HERO System or the properties they represent.
2. You don't alter them, other than changing their colors to better suit the appearance of your site.
3. You don't use them in such a way as to, in our judgment, diminish their value, or otherwise damage them.
4. For the first use of any logo or mark on any page, you have to properly designate them as the trademarks (TM) or registered trademarks (?) of DOJ, Inc. d/b/a Hero Games. Check the legal text at the front of the latest Hero Games books to see which terms we have trademarks or registered trademarks for; contact us if you have any questions.
5. For the first use of any logo or mark on any page, you establish a hyperlink back to the Hero Games webpage (http://www.herogames.com), and to any page on our website that's directly related to any specific product you reference. You can establish other hyperlinks back to our page if you want, but we insist on at least one prominent link, and one per product mentioned. Contact us if you have any questions.
6. You place, in the appropriate section(s) of your webpage, the following disclaimer text:
[Name(s) of product(s)] is (are) a trademark(s) of DOJ, Inc., used by permission. All rights reserved.
The HERO System TM ? is DOJ, Inc.'s trademark for its roleplaying system. See http://www.herogames.com for more information.
The HERO System and all associated games, game products, terms, and images are copyright ? [Year] by DOJ, Inc. This webpage includes copyrighted material, which is used by permission of DOJ, Inc. All rights reserved.
Having worked with 3rd party vendors I find just creating a landing page dedicated to their site is a good intermediary between businesses. The page is all about them, but highlights specific services related to our business. Basically, all our site logos for the vendor jumped to the landing page on our site and the landing page had links back to the vendor.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

That list is what is required by (at least) U.S. Trademark law. Except that #1 isn't really enforceable AFAIK. As long as a trademark is acknowledged, it can be referenced without any problems.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Slideshow vs. Video

Az mensioned that a slide show might work better for the initial intro to RPTools. I've been digging around WordPress for plugins to do that and found this.

http://www.slidedeck.com/wordpress/

It would go in the black blob at the top where the videos are now.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Keith

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

RPTroll wrote:
wolph42 wrote:Edit: hmm would the use of thes logos not imply copyright infringement?
That's my fear. Still, it looks cool. :-) Most of the game companies would care with DnD being the one that would.
I don't know about that, Games Workshop have been very quick to unleash the lawyers in the recent past.

aku
Dragon

Post by aku »

I didnt hear anyone perk up over doing any audio work so i can chime in on that. I'm willing to do any audio editing that would be needed for say podcasts, or anything like that. I could even set them up. I'd prefer not to be the speaker, because, well i hate the sound of my voice, and there are much more knowledgeable people than me around here. I could also make us a little jingle, if we were so inclined. Current work can be found on youtube I can also do the video work, aside from actually collecting an interview in person (no camera and dont really know people locally.)

I could also work with someone who has a mic, and record audio only and go from there...

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Great. I don't mind doing the podcasts but need a post production person. Thanks for volunteering.

aku
Dragon

Post by aku »

RPTroll wrote:Great. I don't mind doing the podcasts but need a post production person. Thanks for volunteering.
Whats that i feel in my chest...ungh... is that my soul being sucked at? :D

Glad to be on board, does this make me the Bard's Song writer? lol

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

You are now a bard. We have a logo and everything. :-)

Secret decoder rings coming soon.

peddlewin
Kobold

Post by peddlewin »

ok, I switched over to slidedeck. Great call on the video, I had no idea so many people and corp's blocked flash and YouTube. Slidedeck lets me put whatever HTML we want into the given space, so we can have a mix of images/video/feature listing/compatibilities/etc.

I also thought of using a lightbox for the videos, that way it is just a link to those who can't see YouTube, but will show up when clicked for those who are allowed.

Once we have podcasts I vote to post them EVERYWHERE. iTunes happens to be a biggie on the market, but there are dozens of podcast directories that I would love to get a listing on. Also if we put the podcasts directly on the site, there are a few directories that will scrape them and post them as well.
"HC SVNT DRACONES" (here be dragons)

aku
Dragon

Post by aku »

any idea what we'd like to hear in our theme song?a mixture of sci-fi and fantasy? I'll work on something now, see what i can come up with

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

torstan wrote:Here's a compatibility logo that I used for a print product that's maptool compatible:
MTCompatible.png
Hate to be a wet blanket but MapTool has a capital T in it. :?

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Re: Bard's Guild (contains recommended logos!)

Post by lmarkus001 »

The current side taglines of "Any Operating System... (etc)" makes me uncomfortable. There are two (likely to be most desired) O/S's that are not currently supported (iOS and Android OS). Maybe if it said "Any Desktop Operating System..."?

Return to “General Discussion”