REAL IPAD APP

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

codra
Kobold

REAL IPAD APP

Post by codra »

well... I buy the app mapnakotic and is terrible! it crash every 30 seconds I spend money for that app, and dosent have any info tutorial or any thing to tell you how it works! so I google to find somthing and then I discover this place MAPTOOLS I went to tutorials and WOW It looks cool but not an Ipad app so...whats the point to spend money in a app that dosent work in the iapad with out using a computer? I was looking for a app to play as a map rpg with friends with out internet conection that can i build my map there and use it...no I need to be conectd to a server. So..and the info in the app store look like it was what I was looking for my IPAD, but after "playing" I Discover that I need MapTools for be abble to use it..... Dont get me rong I dont have any thing against Maptools but you need to fix that or make a real app for the Ipad, it will be so nice to have that tool in your hands with out conecting to any "server".

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: REAL IPAD APP

Post by aliasmask »

MaPnakotic is not affiliated with RPTools.net. MapTool is an open source program and is free to use. iPad does not support Java and has no plan to do so in the future. MapTool is a java application.

But, here's an interesting article talking about recompiling java apps: http://drdobbs.com/blogs/java/231900029

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

codra wrote:[...] you need to fix that or make a real app for the Ipad, it will be so nice to have that tool in your hands with out conecting to any "server".
You really need to use the link from the App Store that takes you to the developer's web site. That's where you can contact the author of that software.

As am says, MapTool is written in Java and Java doesn't run on the iPad. Since MapTool is free software, the app author has downloaded it and converted the code to Objective C to get it to run on the iPad. But he has no affiliation with this web site in any other way.

Btw, I'm surprised you paid money for it. I didn't. But maybe it was still in "beta" when I got it. 8)

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

If you are looking for an iPad-based battle map, I have heard good things about Battle Map.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

The sad part is... I HIGHLY doubt that the poster has come back to read these or even ever will... And if thats the case, we have some guy running around saying Rptools "stole" his money....
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

jfrazierjr wrote:The sad part is... I HIGHLY doubt that the poster has come back to read these or even ever will... And if thats the case, we have some guy running around saying Rptools "stole" his money....
True. I guess if that happens, there's not much to do for that except shrug, and drive on.

Return to “General Discussion”