Rant from Big D

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

dorpond
RPTools Team

Rant from Big D

Post by dorpond »

Something really bothers me...

Artists from all around have come forth to help us at RPTools. When I say RPTools, I am including all of us - the dev's and the fantastic user community who uses our products.

Now, me personally; I am very grateful for many things - I especially appreciate all that is given to me out of kindness, like the art given to us by artists - the stuff that actually helps me run my games better.

But yet, even after I announce a new art pack, we are lucky to get 1, maybe 2 thank you's. Really?? That is it?? Nobody has the time or respect to say "thank you" to them??

Man, if I were an artist and spent hours or weeks making this stuff, and then donated it to a MASSIVE group of users, I would hope that I would at least get some sort of feedback -- hell, I would be happier getting constructive criticism about my art than getting nothing at all. That is what they get now - nothing at all...

Don't be surprised if artists stop donating stuff to the RPTools community. They get nothing in return - no reward at all from this crowd, which really saddens me....

Bah, I'm done ranting..
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Re: Rant from Big D

Post by CoveredInFish »

I have to agree with you.

The last additions to MT were wonderful and earn some feedback.

Me personally Im so stumped at work that my rpg-ing and mt-using is currently a zero. Im glad i can keep up some macro support. And a quick glance at new content doesnt qualify me to criticize, comment or applaud.

But to all artists and to you Dorpond - thanks for contributing to the awesomeness of MT with such high quality and free offered artwork.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Bill, how about checking out the download stats for each art pack and posting them to your announcement thread? If nothing else at least the artists will know that a few thousand people have downloaded them!

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Azhrei wrote:Bill, how about checking out the download stats for each art pack and posting them to your announcement thread? If nothing else at least the artists will know that a few thousand people have downloaded them!
I already have a system similar to that Azhrei, but a little more personal. I have been personally e-mailing them with thank you's and telling them how many downloads they have been getting. I started doing this because of the little feedback they have been getting on the forums. I can only imagine how they'd feel otherwise..
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

Xaelvaen
Dragon

Post by Xaelvaen »

I've replied once, but I think I can help you out with this a bit D -

As someone relatively new to the board, my personal hesitation lies in how skimpy the anouncement threads are with the art packs. It took me some courage to post a thanks/good job to the one I have posted on (including Star Wars reference) because I didn't really know if the anouncement threads should be bogged down by extra input. I'm sure I'm not the only person who thinks this.

However, that being said, I think your rant is still highly appropriate; the art is fantastic, and it deserves a lot more positive feedback. Hence forth, when I get a new art pack, I will make sure to leave my sincerest gratitude, knowing this -is- encourage in the anouncement threads for the art packs.

The long and short of it is, thank you for this post. I can clearly see now the input is not only 'allowed' but welcomed =)
"An arrogant person considers himself perfect. This is the chief harm of arrogance. It interferes with a person's main task in life - becoming a better person." - Leo Tolstoy

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I agree with Xaelvaen and that the art packs may deserve their own special spot in the threads. Under User Creations |Tileset Contributions/Discussions is where I expected to find them. Perhaps if Az can add another folder there for the MT Artpacks, users can be instructed on how to download them as well as make comments on the various art packs.

As a contributor of a different sort, I appreciated getting some thanks, but I understand not every person posting a thank you, especially when there are several thank you's already posted. If I see my sentiment has already been addressed, then I'm not likely to post another repeating it.

Also, sometimes it takes people time to leave a comment. I got this one about a year and a half after I did what I did. Cracks me up:
Jacklifear wrote:Aliasmark, if I had an extra midget available, I'd send him to your leg to hump it. I'll work on integrating this right now. FANTASTIC!

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Speaking for myself, I used to give atta-boys to every artist that contributed free content... but now I have soooo much content (maps, tokens, tiles, textures, individual items, etc.) that I don't even look at most new stuff any more because I'd be tempted to add it to the monstrosity that is my resource library. Heck I could probably spend days or weeks reorganizing what I do have to make it more accessible! It's like the tons of modules and other RPG resources that I thought were awesome at the time I picked them up and now I have to acknowledge that I have no real chance of ever actually using much of it in this life-time. ;) (Thank goodness for reincarnation!)

Now for those people who are actively using this new content... yeah, it would certainly be nice to see an acknowledgement.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Lee
Dragon

Post by Lee »

I haven't really started perusing through the rich material in here as I'm sure it would distract me from coding but I do appreciate all the work being poured into MT. I'm not familiar with the phpBB system but perhaps an custom control could be inserted that allows a quick thank you without the person having to go through the process of writing a new reply? Like the Google's +1 or that other networks Like button. It could say something like "Lee says thank you for..." or perhaps several choices of saying thanks that dynamically appears on the same page. I know a personally written message is better in conveying gratitude but it's likely the #s will ratchet up having a function like that on pages. Other forum handlers use a thanks button as an intermediary before revealing/sharing information. While I don't agree with using such a gatekeeper, it still has a use as a courtesy when checking out :)

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

I normally blast the new artpacks out to the various social media outlets (G+, Facebook,and Twitter). I'll try to do a better job of calling out thanks for the artist.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

JML
Dragon

Post by JML »

Lee wrote:I'm not familiar with the phpBB system but perhaps an custom control could be inserted that allows a quick thank you without the person having to go through the process of writing a new reply?
I stumbled upon this yesterday. Don't know if it could be of some use…

groveborn
Kobold

Post by groveborn »

I can shed a little more light, psychologically speaking: the vast majority of those who use RPtools, or play RPGs on the table top, are geeks. Geeks tend to have few interpersonal skills, and often fail to respond appropriately. It's not intended, it's just the personality type.

Some of us are even deeper into it. Some of us are on the autistic spectrum. I had truly never even thought to consider thanking anyone for the tools, artwork, or instruction available here. That certainly doesn't mean I don't love the product of the work.

I am truly grateful for the work. I love the program, I love the artwork (okay, not all of the artwork, but enough of it). It helps me bring my games to life in a way that I couldn't do on paper, nor without them. If I had skill or talent to add to the project, I would. If I had suggestions that were in anyway an improvement on what you're doing, I'd suggest them. If I had gobs of money to toss in your direction, I totally would.

For now, thank you. Please understand if I don't thank you again, it's just how I am.

TheDuck
Cave Troll

Post by TheDuck »

Personally, I haven't downloaded any art packs for a while now (a few years prolly ... :oops: ) ... but I am thinking of running a new game via MT soon and I am thinking of getting some new art.

So ... in advance ... sincere thanks to all of those with more artistic prowess than I* for I will be having a look at your wares ... :D

Thanks,

Geoff

* To be honest its not that hard to be better at art than me ... I'm about as good at art as an elephant is at balet ... :lol:
Quacking 'Eck!!! Its The Duck!

Return to “General Discussion”