Kindle Fire Support: WOW!

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

dorpond
RPTools Team

Kindle Fire Support: WOW!

Post by dorpond »

This has never happened to me in my 20+ years of working in the computer field.

Background:
I bought A Dance with Dragons for my Kindle Fire, and I usually blow up my font's very large so I don't have to strain my eyes as much. Well when doing so, the left and right margins are very large. No biggy really but I thought I'd make the Amazon community aware of it. So I posted it in a thread.

Results:
A few users replied and even a representative from Amazon offered advice, none of which fixed the issue. Well later that night, while I was bathing my 1 year old son, I got a phone call. It was a tech support agent from Amazon! I was so taken back by this that I told him that I was very impressed that they contacted me from of a forum posted bug report. He said that Amazon really wants the Kindle Fire to shine and they want to stand out above the competition.

It ended up being a book format issue and there really wasn't much I could do besides change my font some, but I still can't help but express how impressed I am with Amazon! Whew, that would be like you guys posting "How do I do create a macro to keep track of damage" and someone from the RPTools team calling you personally to resolve it. Wow!

So my hat goes off to Amazon! They really showed me that they are serious about their Kindle Fire!
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: Kindle Fire Support: WOW!

Post by Azhrei »

dorpond wrote:Whew, that would be like you guys posting "How do I do create a macro to keep track of damage" and someone from the RPTools team calling you personally to resolve it. Wow!
I had a lot written about various companies support, but I erased it. I didn't want it to look too much like fanboi support for the companies I had referenced. ;)

(FYI: NewEgg, Crucial, Apple, and IBM are examples.)

Bone White
Great Wyrm

Post by Bone White »

When I experience good service, I always ask to speak to their manager to tell them in person how excellent their service was. They always say "how suprising, no one ever leaves us good feedback". I just know how I feel when customers say I'm good, so I just spread that on myself.

aku
Dragon

Post by aku »

That is awesome, although the "Big Brother" in my, is sort of concerned (even though i understand it's on Amazon's forum) How a random tech was able to pull up your phone # from the forum info.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

I'm very pleased with my Fire and the 'lack of support needed' from Amazon. I have a few small complaints but am, overall, very pleased with the purchase.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

RPTroll wrote:I'm very pleased with my Fire and the 'lack of support needed' from Amazon. I have a few small complaints but am, overall, very pleased with the purchase.
Can you guys with the Fire let me know what you think? I got one for my wife for X-Mas and was wondering what "real" people like/don't like about it. She already has a first generation Kindle, but I got this for her to have more options as well as some game/web access when she is near a wifi hotspot.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Likes: Very easy to purchase Amazon products. Very nice screen. A great book reading gadget. Great battery life. Typing is easy. Games are great. Love the comix app which I purchased for my son but haven't let him use yet. The form factor is nice.
Dislikes: Too easy to buy Amazon products :), Email client doesn't check email unless you're in the application, limited access to android market apps. It's a little heavy (I suspect the battery takes up the length of the thing).

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

The only complaint I have is that it seems a little heavier than I thought it would be. I never picked up a tablet in this form factor though and I guess they are all similar so..

Like Troll said, I fear letting my daughter use this thing. I've complained to Amazon though so hopefully they will integrate something to secure purchases in the hands of others. One touch purchase - whew..

But I buy everything through Amazon; their movies, books, and MP3's, so I love the integration, both with cloud data and local data.

Not sure if you are aware of this feature either, but they assign you an e-mail address with this thing so if you want to send stuff to your device, then e-mail it to that address - voila, it is there, in the appropriate app, without having to open e-mails and save attachments. There actually isn't an e-mail at all - this address is just for sending content to your device. Cool stuff.

Browsing seems a little laggy compared to other devices but I foresee that getting better as their Dev's improve it over time.

Great purchase!
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

The document sending feature is GREAT! I use it to proof my work while away from my computer. I do wish it had better integration with Google Docs. I'm tempted to buy the pay-for version of their office suite which indicates better handling of online content.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

I finally got around to writing a review fir the Kindle.

http://rptroll.blogspot.com/2011/12/rev ... -fire.html

Biggest gem is that ezPDF makes a great RPG book reader.

Return to “General Discussion”