I want to change my linux.

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

spriteless
Kobold

I want to change my linux.

Post by spriteless »

I am having issues running the launch shell script on Debian. After fussing over it elsewhere, I have been directed here. :mrgreen:

How do I switch Debian to a Bash shell (I seem to have both, but it defaults to Dash)? If this is too dangerous, how can switch to a different distro?

groveborn
Kobold

Re: I want to change my linux.

Post by groveborn »

Open a terminal and type in:
dpkg-reconfigure bash

It may require a su first.

Also, even though Debian is a grown up OS, Ubuntu is a heck of a lot easier to use, and is entirely based on Debian. The interface takes a bit of getting used to, but it does work just peachy. I've also taken a liking to Mint.

Esheon
Giant

Post by Esheon »

groveborn wrote:Open a terminal and type in:
dpkg-reconfigure bash

It may require a su first.

Also, even though Debian is a grown up OS, Ubuntu is a heck of a lot easier to use, and is entirely based on Debian. The interface takes a bit of getting used to, but it does work just peachy. I've also taken a liking to Mint.
I'll put in a +1 for Ubuntu. Once you get used to the interface it's quite easy to work with.

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

Stick with Debian as they don't shove their ideals down your throat like Ubuntu. Or move to a OS that let's you decide what you want to do with your system like Arch. It is a rolling system so their is no wait 6 months for the new release as the newest release is just a sudo pacman -Syyu away. I have been running Arch for almost 4 yrs now and have used every major distro and lots of not mainstream distros. The best thing about linux is finding the distro that fits your ideals and amount of futzing.
Time-Zone information UTC -5

Return to “General Discussion”