editing tiles / textues

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

flyndad
Cave Troll

editing tiles / textues

Post by flyndad »

Knee deep in learning the software as quickly as I can and have come across a problem. I can't seem to "edit" the actual tiles. Question: Can I edit the png file, while it is in the maptools software? I would like to simply crop it and save the area inside the rectangle as a seperate png file just like cropping photos.

....... more explanation if needed,.. I have found tiles that I love and wish to take pieces of them to create my own tiles. The tile is a premade dungeon tile, but to create the dungeon I want some of the walls disappear. I would like to crop the rest of the tile out and keep just the wall portion, save it as it's own png. then drag it on top of the areas where the walls have disapeared. Please tell me I can do this without having to take the tile back out of maptools, run it through a png editor, save it, and load it back into maptools,... thanks,....

jfrazierjr
Deity

Re: editing tiles / textues

Post by jfrazierjr »

flyndad wrote:Knee deep in learning the software as quickly as I can and have come across a problem. I can't seem to "edit" the actual tiles. Question: Can I edit the png file, while it is in the maptools software? I would like to simply crop it and save the area inside the rectangle as a seperate png file just like cropping photos.

....... more explanation if needed,.. I have found tiles that I love and wish to take pieces of them to create my own tiles. The tile is a premade dungeon tile, but to create the dungeon I want some of the walls disappear. I would like to crop the rest of the tile out and keep just the wall portion, save it as it's own png. then drag it on top of the areas where the walls have disapeared. Please tell me I can do this without having to take the tile back out of maptools, run it through a png editor, save it, and load it back into maptools,... thanks,....
you can't. Drawings are just like on paper: permanent(well, you can "erase" them or undo, but that's it). MapTool's drawing tools are meant to be quick and dirty. For advanced editing, you need to do that outside MT first(I suggest GIMP as a free open source editor)
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

flyndad
Cave Troll

Post by flyndad »

Thanks for the response,. I now have the GIMP software and it looks really nice,. but at the risk of sounding like a fool,... How do I get the files out of maptools?? The ones I download from the various sites aren't a problem, but the files that are downloaded and go straight into "the resource library" I can't seem to find anywhere?? I hate to be a bother, but I sure could use the help..

VisElEchNon
Cave Troll

Post by VisElEchNon »

flyndad wrote:Thanks for the response,. I now have the GIMP software and it looks really nice,. but at the risk of sounding like a fool,... How do I get the files out of maptools?? The ones I download from the various sites aren't a problem, but the files that are downloaded and go straight into "the resource library" I can't seem to find anywhere?? I hate to be a bother, but I sure could use the help..
Using Windows 7 you go to "C:\Users\%username%\.maptool\resource" and they're each in their own folders. Other than that I couldn't tell you at this point.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

flyndad wrote:Thanks for the response,. I now have the GIMP software and it looks really nice,. but at the risk of sounding like a fool,... How do I get the files out of maptools?? The ones I download from the various sites aren't a problem, but the files that are downloaded and go straight into "the resource library" I can't seem to find anywhere?? I hate to be a bother, but I sure could use the help..
Whoa there partner... You need to check the licenses before you make any changes. Unless it says otherwise, the artist still owns those files and is only letting you use them. There is a license file in in each folder, so be sure to read it and if you have questions about what it means, ask first.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Return to “General Discussion”