OD&D Framework

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

GZJimmyT
Kobold

OD&D Framework

Post by GZJimmyT »

So, I was interested some weeks ago in finding a 2e framework for use in Maptools, and those investigations got me studying (as a beginner in both) html and java, as well as continuing to study Maptools.

Interesting in what new directions seemingly simple inquiries can take one.

But also, in the course of going back over the AD&D materials in order to figure out what kinds of structures would a from-scratch 2e framework would require, I came across the original and Basic D&D systems (the three booklets and the red box, respectively).

So now, moreso than 2e, I'm interested in writing a framework for OD&D, and if the OD&D turns out well, trying it again with Basic D&D.

Is anyone interested in working with me on this? As a programmer I am a rank beginner, but my enthusiasm is without end, and I think I'll be able to translate the tables fairly well once I get a better feel for what components of the language I'll need to use in order to translate them.

Regards,
Jimmy T.

Gawain_VIII
Kobold

Re: OD&D Framework

Post by Gawain_VIII »

Funny, I just posted about making a FW for BECMI... Just the basics at first. If it turns out well, I was going to impliment the options from the Gazetteer series and Rules Cyclopedia. Maybe we could team up and get things moving?

--Roger

GZJimmyT
Kobold

Post by GZJimmyT »

Gawain_VIII wrote:Funny, I just posted about making a FW for BECMI... Just the basics at first. If it turns out well, I was going to impliment the options from the Gazetteer series and Rules Cyclopedia. Maybe we could team up and get things moving?

--Roger
That's pretty much what I'm about also. TBH I'm more interested in the OD&D material but I'd be willing to work on the BECMI materials just to get the experience. I'm at +8 GMT so probably won't be able to have too many actual chat sessions, but I think we can organize the effort fairly well via email.

I'll start going through the basic rulebooks, pick out some bits to play with, and send them your way as soon as I get your coordinates.

Jimmy T.
Last edited by GZJimmyT on Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GZJimmyT
Kobold

Post by GZJimmyT »

Gawain_VIII wrote:Funny, I just posted about making a FW for BECMI... Just the basics at first. If it turns out well, I was going to impliment the options from the Gazetteer series and Rules Cyclopedia. Maybe we could team up and get things moving?

--Roger
On second look, I think it would save us a lot of time to not follow the sequence of the books, but use the Rules Cyclopedia as the primary source and implement elements in order of usefulness.

If we wanted to make separate frameworks based on the limits of each boxed set, we could easily do that later by deleting any non-pertinent material from each derived framework.

Gawain_VIII
Kobold

Post by Gawain_VIII »

GZJimmyT wrote:On second look, I think it would save us a lot of time to not follow the sequence of the books, but use the Rules Cyclopedia as the primary source and implement elements in order of usefulness.

If we wanted to make separate frameworks based on the limits of each boxed set, we could easily do that later by deleting any non-pertinent material from each derived framework.
I didn't mean to suggest making a different framework for each rules-set, just BECMI as a whole (ok, maybe just BECM. The Immortal set would need a framework all by itself, and I'm not about to touch that monster). And then when that was done, make a copy to add the "optional rules" from RC.

It looks like you're online while I'm at work... so we might be able to catch each other on the weekends. PM me you contact info, and we can swap what we have so far. Currently I have very basic macros to cover simple combat, saves, ability checks, healing/damage. No character sheet, level, spells, experience... just the bare bones.

--R

Return to “General Discussion”