Is DDI still value for money?

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

TheDuck
Cave Troll

Is DDI still value for money?

Post by TheDuck »

I've previously been a subscriber to DDI obtaining year long subscriptions each time.

Unfortunately I let my subscription lapse - by accident. I had to get a new VISA card earlier this year when I lost my old one and I forgot to update a few places where the old card was registered as the payment method. DDI was one of them.

My subscription lapsed in April and I have only just noticed.

I only just noticed for a few reasons. Mainly though it is because I have not been frequenting the D&D site much over the last few months.

So before renewing my subscription I was wondering if it is still worth it?
Quacking 'Eck!!! Its The Duck!

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Re: Is DDI still value for money?

Post by Jagged »

TheDuck wrote: My subscription lapsed in April and I have only just noticed.
I think you answered your own question there ;)

TheDuck
Cave Troll

Post by TheDuck »

You're probably right ... :oops:

Why didn't I think of it that way? ... :lol:

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

My reply was a little cynical, sorry. If you are actually running a D&D campaign (as I am at the moment) its very useful as it gives you access to powers in all the books you don't own. So I find I am using it quite a lot at the moment to tweak characters, to give them powers slightly off the well beaten path. Whether that's enough to warrant the expense? I'm a little doubtful :)

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

I think it is still worth it, especially if you DM. I DM most of the time so I am constantly looking stuff up, like items, monsters, traps, etc..

When I do play, I enjoy having the character builder with the latest and greatest.

But that is all I really use it for - I never look at Dungeon or Dragon mag's, which is really sad now that I think of it. There is probably good material in there. I have just always made my own campaigns from scratch so I never felt the need for inspiration.

I wish their maps were high quality - that would rock, but instead, when I don't make my own, I keep going to my trusty sites like Dundjinni, RPGMapshare, CartographersGuild, etc to get maps..
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

As a player, no.

Well, okay, I'll qualify. It depends on how often you make a new character. I have to make one in the next couple weeks, and I don't have a subscription anymore, but it's not worth the money for one character. I'll just limit myself to the books I have.

Xaelvaen
Dragon

Post by Xaelvaen »

I can't honestly say I ever felt it was worth the money, except the one time I became a member to download the Assassin pdf because it wasn't in any books yet =/ Since they put all their tools online only, I honestly can't stand them (the tools). I still use my oldschool monster builder and own the PHB3 which pretty much reminds you what every other class gets, heh.

I'm not saying the information on DDI wasn't useful; it certainly was. Just not money-useful.
"An arrogant person considers himself perfect. This is the chief harm of arrogance. It interferes with a person's main task in life - becoming a better person." - Leo Tolstoy

TheDuck
Cave Troll

Post by TheDuck »

dorpond wrote:I think it is still worth it, especially if you DM. I DM most of the time so I am constantly looking stuff up, like items, monsters, traps, etc..
I do DM a lot ... but not always 4e. Currently in the F2F game we have gone back to a d20 Modern campaign we last played about 5 years or so ago.
dorpond wrote:When I do play, I enjoy having the character builder with the latest and greatest.
I agree about the character builder and I wish the offline version was up to date. But the books are good enough for the few occasions it is necessary to gen new characters.

Also. my friends and I didn't like some of the changes that they made with the output format from the char-gen site. Where did the modifier go?
dorpond wrote:I never look at Dungeon or Dragon mag's ... I have just always made my own campaigns from scratch so I never felt the need for inspiration.
I feel the same. I never really put in the effort to read them when I paid for them so in some ways its not worth it for that alone.

Thanks for the responses everyone. You've helped me make up my mind and unless there is a significant improvement in value for money I will not be renewing my subscription.

Clcyuely
Kobold

Post by Clcyuely »

You said it...

Dungeonmeister
Kobold

Post by Dungeonmeister »

I think the compendium is worth the subscription alone

TheDuck
Cave Troll

Post by TheDuck »

Dungeonmeister wrote:I think the compendium is worth the subscription alone
Is it though?

I'm not convinced. Even when I was a subscriber I didn't access the compendium during a game. If I need to look something up I will have books with me. If the books don't cover it I make a decision based on the situation, my knowledge of the game, and what would make sense for the game to flow well.

Return to “General Discussion”