New tablet called Surface from Microsoft

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Xaelvaen
Dragon

Re: New tablet called Surface from Microsoft

Post by Xaelvaen »

I'm with ya there Jamz - waiting for my own Surface. For all the ups and downs of Microsoft, its a company I like. This will be argued up and down until the end of time, and I simply don't care to lol. I like it, that's enough =)

To the point however, a portable desktop is my only interest. I'm not into tablets at all, traditionally, and have trial/returned androids and iPads alike. I don't like 'app stores' and this fad of micro-programming gaming. I even returned my smart phones... there was just nothing special there for my interests.

The Surface hits exactly the niche I needed filled without resorting to the clunky-nature of laptops. (I do not like laptops at all either heh). I'm hoping this will help shift me into the new era of... stuff (polite word substitute).
"An arrogant person considers himself perfect. This is the chief harm of arrogance. It interferes with a person's main task in life - becoming a better person." - Leo Tolstoy

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

I'd get a Surface Pro, but I'm worried about spontaneous eruptions of dance around me while using it.

That might get pretty annoying.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Xaelvaen wrote:The Surface hits exactly the niche I needed filled without resorting to the clunky-nature of laptops. (I do not like laptops at all either heh). I'm hoping this will help shift me into the new era of... stuff (polite word substitute).
I assume you mean Surface Pro, instead of Surface. The former will get you everything a normal computer can do(not counting the limited memory size, minimal expansion ports, etc), while the latter is nothing more than a Windows "tablet" with a stripped down OS....
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Well, Surface Pro vs Surface RT, the latter shall never be mentioned again just like windows ME :)

So, i stopped at the store to get on the list and play with one, they must have had 30 of them in stations.

First impression, darn that is SMALL and im use to my 10" Xoom. But I sat down with it and the screen and responsiveness was beautiful. Im actually buying this as a gift for the wife, ahem, but it will get MT and Herolab installed lol

i do say, I really like the 10 hour battery on my xoom, nothing says portable like not needing to carry cords with you, so sad that it only gets 4 to 5 hours, not even long enough for a gaming session. although i am psyched that M$ thought ahead and the connectors at the bottom can handle future accessories, ie keyboards with battery.

Ooh, and for you Linux guys, word is the bios is not locked and you CAN install linux on this bad boy. Still short on some drivers but i could see a dual boot to Linux off the sd card to be something of a nerdgasm lol

Just wish you could crack it open to instill a larger ssd.
-Jamz

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

JamzTheMan wrote:Just wish you could crack it open to instill a larger ssd.
Well.. you can... I just would not recommend it. ;)

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Microsof ... own/12842/

For all the things the Surface Pro has going for it, I have to admit that I do wish the SSD and Battery were easily removable. The battery, in particular, is something I think would have been worth doing. That's probably what I'm most disappointed with. I could live with using cloud storage and SD cards for extra storage... but the battery, while a good one, is still a weak link.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Return to “General Discussion”