New user says hello

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

OriginalDM
Kobold

New user says hello

Post by OriginalDM »

I just created an account here and am checking out the site to see what's what. RPGTools was suggested to me from a fellow BGG/RPGG user so here I am. I'm looking to create some maps for a possible PBF game I may run and am quite the sub-genius with all of this. Any tips on getting started would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.

mfrizzell
Dragon

Re: New user says hello

Post by mfrizzell »

Welcome to our humble little community.
I would say your best bet is to watch the video tutorials. They are very good.
DCI/RPGA# 7208328396 Skype ID mfrizzell77
Characters:
Strabor - Dwarf Avenger 5th Level
Tikkanan - Human Warlock 2nd Level
----------------------------------------------------
"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

OriginalDM wrote:Any tips on getting started would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.
From my own personal experience I would say that to start with you should avoid looking at all the existing frameworks until you and your group have become comfortable with the basics. Start using Maptool purely as a Whiteboard and chat environment. Learn the dice rolling functions, start tracking statistics. You and your players will naturally start adding functions to cover the things you do again and again. Before you know it you will be on your way to writing your own framework. Then you are ready to come back and look at all the great frameworks available for download from this forum.

Good luck :)

Xaelvaen
Dragon

Post by Xaelvaen »

If I may chime in a small portion of advice, a quote from Robots (that quirkly little animated masterpiece with Robin Williams): "Find a Need, Fill a Need."

Its a great approach to learning in a manner that best suits your needs and learning style.

If you see something you want to do, to make your games run more smoothly, then imagine how it might work - and I don't mean in programming terms. In example, if you want a macro to make a strength check, just imagine the simple layout. Something somewhere would have to hold the creature's strength score, something somewhere would hold any bonuses to a specific check in this way, and add a dice roll.

A lot of times, you can search the macro forums and find that someone has already looked for help creating the exact same type of macro you want, and the search function is actually pretty strong here (so you don't have to spend hours eyeing hundreds of posts that don't relate).

I found myself, when I first started, coming to the macro forums every day just to read everyone's questions, there's very few that don't get answered there.

Finally, there's the wiki. Just clicking a random function name there will tell you exactly what its used for and how to use it - that was a fantastic way for me to 'imagine' macros I would have never even thought of doing before knowing there was a funciton to specifically do it.

All of this, of course, after the afore-mentioned advice of tutorials =)

Wiki Link Here
"An arrogant person considers himself perfect. This is the chief harm of arrogance. It interferes with a person's main task in life - becoming a better person." - Leo Tolstoy

OriginalDM
Kobold

Post by OriginalDM »

Thanks for the tips, we'll see where this goes.

Return to “General Discussion”