Linux - Distributions

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Linux - Distributions

Post by aliasmask »

Seeing that this is your first post and that it appears in the general discussion and is of a subject matter that can be easily looked up set off some of my spammer red flags. But if you're really interested in joining the community I recommend replying to the Nice to meet you thread and avoid urls to non gaming related sites.

But to answer your question, I found this on google:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... tributions

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

ARCH is the best if you know what you are doing. Especially now that they dropped their graphical installer so it is super light and respects the users desires for their system.
Time-Zone information UTC -5

tiorthan
Cave Troll

Post by tiorthan »

I prefer Gentoo's portage over Arch's pacman but building everything yourself is a little time consuming.

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

tiorthan wrote:I prefer Gentoo's portage over Arch's pacman but building everything yourself is a little time consuming.
You san check out Sabayon. It uses Gentoo as a base and you can just install packages or build them. I used Gentoo and Sabayon both previously, but enjoy ARCH way more as I get the speed of Gentoo, but the ease of maintaining my system.
Time-Zone information UTC -5

tiorthan
Cave Troll

Post by tiorthan »

neofax wrote:but enjoy ARCH way more as I get the speed of Gentoo, but the ease of maintaining my system.
That's exactly why there's an Arch on my laptop :D I have Gentoo on my servers and desktop, though.

Return to “General Discussion”