Which version is the stablest?

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

voodoo
Dragon

Which version is the stablest?

Post by voodoo »

Hello.
I started an online campaign with one player and tried the latest versions (b87 and 88) but both had stability problems.
My main goal is to use maptool in the simplest way, no macro, but I do enjoy the adjustable FOW. But my principal need is a stable version.
Could you please tell me which version you consider the stablest for someone who has simple needs like me?
Thanks in advance.

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Re: Which version is the stablest?

Post by CoveredInFish »

First all updates had good reasons and most were bug fixes. So older versions are not necessarily more stable.

You might tell us a bit about your problems (what exactly is happening, what does the debug info (see help menu) look like etc, because lots of people use b87 without much problems.

Then I recall b63 was good for a long time ... and some b7x ... like 76 ?? I'm not sure.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

do you have java 7 installed by any chance? if so that would explain the stability issues as none of the current versions are compatible with j7.

voodoo
Dragon

Post by voodoo »

First, thanks to everybody for their quick answers.
Actually, I do have Java 7 installed (with windows 7).
I played with the latest version about three months ago and don't remember specific bugs but I do remember having much more graphic bugs with the latest versions than with my earlier versions (I first discovered maptool when Dorpond told us about it on the DM Genie forum). I thought it was maybe because I used to use maptool in face to face d&d for placement over my lan and then played it over the internet but maybe it's just because of java 7.
Now, I just have to uninstall it and find an earlier version.
Thank you again for your help.

Return to “General Discussion”