RPTools.net

Discussion and Support

Skip to content

It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:53 pm 

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

What cloud storage service are you using to host MapTool's repositories?
Google Drive 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
Sugarysync 16%  16%  [ 3 ]
Dropbox 74%  74%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 19
Dragon

Post subject: Cloud storage for MapTool repositories
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:21 am 
I need to gather data regarding what cloud storage services MT users are using for their online repositories. If an option isn't on the list, please reply with a post about what you're using.

Thanks.

Mote on Facebook
Fully Customizable Calendar Drop-in

Last edited by Lee on Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar  Offline
Giant

Post subject: Re: Poll: Cloud storage
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:33 am 
I use dropbox for repositories because it's easy, but I use Google Drive and MS Skydrive for my Maptool image storage because they have more space.

User avatar  Offline
Deity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:17 am 
I haphazardly use both sugarsync and dropbox, but I have about 19 GB on sugarsync. I have a few things on Google, but I don't even think of Google when I think online storage.

User avatar  Offline
Deity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:25 am 
i dont use any for repo since my games are all local face to face. with that said, if your goal is to interface directly with the providers API, i would highly suggest making sure they have platform independent APIs. Specifically SugarSync does not support linux while Dropbox does...not sure aboutGoogle drive though....

I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Dragon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:44 pm 
I did. These 3, at least, have APIs. I believe Sugarsync was ahead in making itself accessible over the other 2. IIRC, it was why I shifted from Dropbox before. I guess if a client/daemon isn't provided for a particular OS, people can still use their management tools online.

I'm just doing some research in advance. Currently, people can get by by processing direct links, though these may be subject to change over time, making future-proofing generators difficult. So making a unified way to go through the authorization -> token generation etc. to get and post in these services is definitely something good in the long term; moreso if the same method will work for more traditional file hosts.

Unfortunately, it's not looking to be the case, at least for now. After a shallow look at the offered tech, Dropbox and Google drive need parts of their SDK to interact with their services whereas Sugarsync can simply be reached with the Apache Commons lib; though I'm hoping that those parts are just convenience classes/methods. In any case, it's an interesting avenue to explore.

Mote on Facebook

Kobold

Post subject: Re: Cloud storage
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:11 am 
Why would I use online storage devices when I could have the joy of re-coding all my work every other year?

User avatar  Offline
Cave Troll

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:55 am 
For my online storage solutions, I use an eSATA 4-drive Raid 5...

Oh wait... I don't use online storage. Too slow to sync, and can't store enough data.

Dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:26 pm 
LOL. I guess I deserved that. I'm polling for cloud storage MT users use for their repositories. Not everyone can setup a RAID array and make it accessible from anywhere (not to mention that's overkill for MT), and cloud storage beats hosting the repo locally and having it serve on most consumer ISPs crappy upload speeds.

Mote on Facebook

User avatar  Offline
Deity

Post subject: Re: Cloud storage for MapTool repositories
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:03 pm 
SugarSync is now transitioning to Paid Only.

Quote:
Important: SugarSync Free Plan Expiring

Dear SugarSync User,

Thanks for using SugarSync. We wanted to let you know that beginning on February 8th, 2014 we will transition to a paid service. In order to continue using SugarSync you will need to upgrade your account.

Making this change is something we’ve planned for a while. It will allow us to serve you better and add services and features that will help SugarSync users get more from the service.

blah, blah, blah...

Lets hope dropbox doesn't follow suit.

User avatar  Offline
Deity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:25 pm 
that sucks. indeed lets hope that Dropbox remains a free service.

My stuff
Excel Tools: Table and Light editors
MT Tools: Bag of Tricks: Tools for Maptool, Dungeon Builder I, Dungeon Builder II,onMouseOverEvent and
DPI.
Frameworks: Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, Only War, SET Card Game, RoboRally
Wiki: Debugging Tutorial, Speed Up Your Macros, Working With Two CODE Levels, Shortcut Keys, Avoiding Stack Overflow, READ THIS

User avatar  Offline
Demigod

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:42 pm 
wolph42 wrote:
that sucks. indeed lets hope that Dropbox remains a free service.

Skydrive should probably be in this list of free cloud storage.

Though it's probably only a matter or time before they all monetize... which is one of the reasons I don't want to ever rely on any of them very much.

User avatar  Offline
Kobold

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:54 am 
I use the following program to sync my MapTools (and other RP tools) folder and my resource folder between my desktop and my laptop:

http://www.bittorrent.com/sync

It's not a cloud storage service/program, but a way to keep all of my MapTools items shared between my two computers.

User avatar  Offline
Deity

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:25 am 
austmeliamne wrote:
I use the following program to sync my MapTools (and other RP tools) folder and my resource folder between my desktop and my laptop:

http://www.bittorrent.com/sync

It's not a cloud storage service/program, but a way to keep all of my MapTools items shared between my two computers.

cool. but it requires at least one pc to be always on. Also (one of the reasons I like DB) you have no repository and if everything burns down, you still loose everything.
TBH, I wouldn't mind paying for Dropbox by now. I can always revert to the old situation as Im not 'dependent' of it, but 'the old situation' sucks.

My stuff
Excel Tools: Table and Light editors
MT Tools: Bag of Tricks: Tools for Maptool, Dungeon Builder I, Dungeon Builder II,onMouseOverEvent and
DPI.
Frameworks: Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, Only War, SET Card Game, RoboRally
Wiki: Debugging Tutorial, Speed Up Your Macros, Working With Two CODE Levels, Shortcut Keys, Avoiding Stack Overflow, READ THIS

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]