Should I Upgrade to Windows 8

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Should I Upgrade to Windows 8

Post by aliasmask »

As a recent convert from XP to Windows 7 (new pc) I have to say I do like the File Explorer better. From what I recall Windows 8 handles multiprocessing better, but do you think it's worth it to upgrade from 7? It'll only cost me $15 but seeing how I don't have a tablet or use (or care about) social media should I even bother with the upgrade?

VisElEchNon
Cave Troll

Re: Should I Upgrade to Windows 8

Post by VisElEchNon »

Well.......................
I don't have a touchscreen to use for Windows 8, I also care nothing about social media and when I tried 8 I absolutely hated how invasive it was (it wanted my email address simply to finish installing, it turned out to be optional though.)

I guess it might be possible to enjoy the OS if you had a tablet/touchscreen, but if you don't, I don't know what's really an improvement over 7.

EDIT::

If the $15 is all you're worried about (though I assume it's not) then you might as well get the upgrade just to have it for the future, and to test it. You can always go back to 7 if you hate 8.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

I really like Win8. It's a lot snappier than 7, has better memory management, I'm making use of some of the aps that come with it, and I actually like the Metro Start menu. I tend to have my desktops get pretty cluttered and busy, so the new "start" menu has been a welcome organizational layer that does way more than people give it credit for (and getting to the old desktop, minus the old start menu, is a single click away.)

I really think most of the complaints regarding it come down to having to learn some new ways to do some old things. But once you learn, it's kind of like the switch to the Office ribbon. There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth when Office went to the ribbon, but once people started using it most found that it made things a lot easier. Believe it or not MSFT is a pretty top-notch software maker and they don't make drastic changes without spending millions to study use-case scenarios and ergonomics. There are certainly some misses but, for me, the usability of Win8 over 7 is nearly as drastic as 7 was over XP. I simply have more fun using it. That said, I have a few friends that have made very little effort to actually learn about many of the new navigational techniques and shortcuts and they moan about not being able to do things that are actually easier to do now than they were in 7. The whole leading a horse to water thing I guess...

I think things are headed in the right direction. So much so that I'll be looking at a Surface Pro very seriously over getting a new laptop.

A good way to get up to speed quick on some of the nice short-cuts in Win 8 can be found here: http://marketing.dell.com/windows-8-ebook
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Vhex
Giant

Post by Vhex »

What Full Bleed said.

If you're familiar with Windows 7 (and like it) then the upgrade to Windows 8 is only really going to be different when it comes to the start menu and some common operations. Otherwise, it looks very similar to Windows 7. You can actually make it identical with some tweaks, but I like the new start menu better.

Of course, I also use keyboard shortcuts for a lot of things that I want to do and even on Windows 7 I tended to "search" for an application by typing into the search bar rather than looking through the menus.

I don't use metro apps because I don't like that they take up the full screen (even with tabbing). So programs that have both versions (Evernote is a good example of this) I generally still use the desktop version. If I had a touchscreen, it would probably be a much different story.

When I first started using it, I found myself reaching up to the screen to try to hit things (I do have a few tablets) on my laptop. That was probably the most annoying thing for me. To get different menus up you also "swipe" with the mouse which is a bit tricky at first, especially if you use something like Synergy for sharing your mouse between computers.

Other than that, it is a more secure operating system and UAC is much less invasive. I used to turn it off in Windows 7, but now leave it on in Windows 8 (you have to for Metro Apps). Task manager is much more informative and, having multiple computers, I love the synchronization of my settings using my Microsoft account.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

What about resident memory usage. Each new version seems to gobble more of it up. Win7 is up to like 2 gigs. Is Win8 at 3? I'll likely make the purchase, but install later. I don't really test the performance of my machine very often by mostly just surfing the web. Using PSP 9 which is still a 32bit ap is probably as close as I get nowadays. Haven't installed a new game in ages, unless you count the old Sega Shadowrun with emulator (but I don't). Still a fun game.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Unless Win8 actually gives you something you want and unless you have a touch screen, I would say, "No"

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Jagged wrote:Unless Win8 actually gives you something you want and unless you have a touch screen, I would say, "No"
Personally, I think the perception that the interface is "Touch Only" is really inaccurate. I believe that "Touch Compatible" is far more accurate. I think detractors have done a good job of framing it that way, but there is nothing about the new interface that can't be done just as easily (if not more easily) than in 7 with only a mouse. And the search feature to find features/option that you don't know how to get to any more is better in Win8 than 7 by a long shot.

The primary difference is that most of the settings and access are hidden in the corner pop-up menus (that you pop up by putting your mouse in the corners). Which for me is great, since I've used the "hide task bar" setting for my task bar (which hid the task bar unless you dragged your mouse to the bottom of the screen) for as long as the option has existed in previous version of the OS. So using the corners to hide UI features seemed about as natural to me as a change in the interface could.

So, while I get that for many people it does feel substantially different and "touch centric", it's really just a perception framed by their previous experience with hidden/pup-up style menus (that they associate with touch screens.) But it's hardly a burden to use a mouse instead of a touch screen.

aliasmask wrote:What about resident memory usage. Each new version seems to gobble more of it up. Win7 is up to like 2 gigs. Is Win8 at 3?
Win8 is better with memory in just about every way. That's why it feels so snappy on start up and shut down compared to 7 (and 7 was a great improvement over XP and Vista.) Here is a good article to check out on Win 8's memory management:
http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... xperience/

Really, if that's a thing you're interested in, it a no-brainer to upgrade.

Now, I will suggest that if you are going to install 8 that you move up to the 64 bit version if you are still on 32. The upgrade from 7 to 8 is painless when you are going 32 to 32 or 64 to 64... but 32 to 64 will require pretty much a fresh install. That can be painful, but well worth it in the long run... making the move on a new OS install is probably the best time.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I have a 64bit system and OS, but not much in the way of 64bit aps or games. Back in the old days when I worked in a computer store (about 2000) I built a $6000 machine for this guy who was a day trader. I told him it was probably too much machine for what he does, but he was determine to spend lots of money on a computer (typical A type personality). So, 3 large flat screen monitors and a 4 drive raid machine later, he could surf the internet in style. I feel that's about where I am right now. Too much machine for what I really need. The one thing I really like about the new machine is the 8gigs of ram so I don't have to worry about memory problems with PSP. It's still the 32bit version so it's still limited, but my last machine only had 2gigs, so it's a vast improvement. I'll get and eventually install Win8, but I'll need to find my CD that came with the machine (currently MIA) and buy some blank DVDs to save Win8 download to.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Windows 8 is snappy enough most of the time (though bizarrely slow for certain things, like the task manager -- takes forever to show up, unlike it did with my Windows 7 install). I gave the new start menu about 2-3 weeks to see if I would adjust (I liked the way it looked). However, I didn't like the way it worked, so I just got Stardock's Start8 and I use it exclusively in "desktop" mode. So for me, it ended up being a few hours and 15 bucks to do essentially nothing.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Full Bleed wrote: Personally, I think the perception that the interface is "Touch Only" is really inaccurate. I believe that "Touch Compatible" is far more accurate. I think detractors have done a good job of framing it that way, but there is nothing about the new interface that can't be done just as easily (if not more easily) than in 7 with only a mouse.
I am only going by the experience of my friends and all the reviews I've read. :)

badsequel
Giant

Post by badsequel »

aliasmask wrote:... I'll get and eventually install Win8, but I'll need to find my CD that came with the machine (currently MIA) and buy some blank DVDs to save Win8 download to.
Not sure you need to do this using disks at all..

I got a new laptop recently with win8 preinstalled. Exchanged the hdd with a ssd drive and did a reinstall this way:

1 - get the win8 iso from piratebay.( see msdn site for file name )
2 - validate the files checksum against Microsofts SHA1 on their msdn site. ( If you have a msdn login you can also download the same iso file from there.)
3 - use Win7 dvd to usb stick app. Makes the stick bootable.
4 - set computer to boot from usb stick and install the OS. Fresh win8 install in under 10 mins! Amazing!

Win8 in general:
The metro UI is utterly useless for a non-touch computer. That is probably a matter of taste.

A friend of mine told me before I bought the laptop that : "if you can live with the concept of a fullscreen start-menu then you won't have a problem with win8". He was so right. Fullscreen start-menu is exactly what it feels like.

I can't use it. My productivity got seriously impacted and my patience wore thin within 3-4 days. So I installed something called "classic shell". Works like a charm and looks very much like win7.

Apart from Metro the OS is nice and fast.

Btw: For some dumb reason MT on win8 says "could not create virtual Java machine" when trying to launch it without javaw.exe in the MT folder. PATH system variable is set and points correctly to the java 6 dir.

I have left to try and figure that one out..

-Bad
My shared rpg stuff:
(exe)TokenNameChanger3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cqsof54v3dl2k ... 3.zip?dl=0
Tiddly Spell Wiki: https://www.dropbox.com/s/53pya4k68mnvc ... ddly01.htm

Stuff to check out:
Mote Kickstarter(back it): https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/74 ... abletop-ev

Bone White
Great Wyrm

Post by Bone White »

badsequel wrote:1 - get the win8 iso from piratebay.
Oh dear, where do I start? :roll:

badsequel
Giant

Post by badsequel »

Bone White wrote:
badsequel wrote:1 - get the win8 iso from piratebay.
Oh dear, where do I start? :roll:
Don't get me wrong - i'm not advocating piracy here. This is to use your legally purchased serial key, avoiding the need to use dvd's for install.

1 - Note I got the win8 pre-installed with the laptop - as in I own a perfectly legit serial key. Actually, the serial key resides INSIDE my uefi bios thingy. What was not supplied with my key was a dvd with the OS on it. In fact - my new laptop has no dvd drive whatsoever.

2 - From what I understood from AM he already had a disc with the OS, thus owning a legal serial key.

BE CAREFUL: If downloading a disc image(from any non-microsoft source) to use with your legit serial key is illegal in your native country - refrain from attempting the above! This is a non-issue where I live.

-Bad
My shared rpg stuff:
(exe)TokenNameChanger3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cqsof54v3dl2k ... 3.zip?dl=0
Tiddly Spell Wiki: https://www.dropbox.com/s/53pya4k68mnvc ... ddly01.htm

Stuff to check out:
Mote Kickstarter(back it): https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/74 ... abletop-ev

Bone White
Great Wyrm

Post by Bone White »

Owning a key does not entitle you to modify or use a modified version of the software. If you do not have a dvd drive then you either contact Microsoft for restoration software or use the pre-installed recovery partition on the hard drive.

An action if illegal, however morally correct, logistically sound or convenient, is illegal.

Don't take this personally, I'm like this with anyone who would suggest breaking terms or laws. If you're wondering why, it's because someone has to be the anchor-man for consumer standing.

darkeness66
Giant

Post by darkeness66 »

My new laptop has Win8 and I am not a fan, I much prefer Win7.

My 2 cents, YMV

Return to “General Discussion”