Best Desktop Recorder for free?

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Best Desktop Recorder for free?

Post by aliasmask »

I've tried CamStudio before, but I found the audio begins to lag in respects to the video on my old machine the longer it records. Maybe that's not the case with this machine though, but since I'm looking I thought I'd ask the community for their opinion. I have tried Google Hangouts recording video to YouTube but the quality was horrible and I didn't see any quality controls when using it.

So, the prerequisites are: Free, Good Quality video, Good Quality audio syncing, Windows OS, Long recording time and option to record desktop or frame.

Vhex
Giant

Re: Best Desktop Recorder for free?

Post by Vhex »

I use Jing, but if you had problems with Camtasia then I would expect there to be problems in Jing (both techsmith products). There's also the old standby of Fraps.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I've heard of Fraps in my search. Free version only records 30 seconds worth. Camtastia is only 30-day trial and Jing only records 5 min. I suppose I should have put up to 30+ min recording, although I would like to make a bunch of very specific tutorial vids that only take 2-3 min at most. But the option to ramble should be there.

Vhex
Giant

Post by Vhex »

Wow, shows how long it's been since I've used Fraps. If it's windows only you're looking for then CamStudio used to be okay. I wouldn't say great, and I've not used it in a while, but it wasn't bad and it's free.

Still, the best utility is Camtasia Studio if you can shell out the money. I realize that's not really helpful, but it's true~

Jing works for me because it's multi-platform and I tend to record in small chunks (and then just combine the video files).

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Google found this. Have you checked some of those out?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Azhrei wrote:Google found this. Have you checked some of those out?
I actually dl'd and installed that one but haven't had time to test it out.

prodyn
Kobold

Post by prodyn »

I'm new to posting on the boards, though I've been lurking for a while. Anyway, I'm currently using Open Source Broadcasting which also has the capability of recording your desktop. It's free, simple to use, and is very stable for it's current alpha [ed: Now Beta] state.

http://obsproject.com/

Return to “General Discussion”