Shared Pov, Docking Checkboxes, other things over my head

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

brianquad
Kobold

Shared Pov, Docking Checkboxes, other things over my head

Post by brianquad »

Greetings

I was introduced to MapTools about three weeks ago and my mind was melted into a mushy slime almost immediately. The daunting scope of possibilities kept me dizzy for a few days. I have since settled down a little bit and started to explore the absolutely impressive frameworks that people have put so much time into developing.

After seeing the Nth degree that people have gone to, I have decided that what will fit best for me is something far less involved. So begins my desire to make my own 'I can't even call it a framework' set. After looking at the wiki, drinking that off, looking at it again, asking a friend to help, drinking that off... you get the point... I have come up with the basic structure and coding elements that I will need to make it work.

To achieve my goal I lack two pieces. One should be easy and is likely just a setting somewhere that I am too dense to find, the other is something that I believe is possible in maptools, but I don't even know where to start. I want to have a dockable window with checkboxes serving as a display and input method for buff/debuff up/down/display.

So this brings me here to ask for any assistance the community has to offer. I'm looking for a way for players to share PoV/Vision, and how to make this window.

Please respond here, or Skype @ [email protected].

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Re: Shared Pov, Docking Checkboxes, other things over my hea

Post by CoveredInFish »

Elaborate on sharing POV/Vision. When you dont use the "individual" option all player can see what any player can see (is that understandable?)

As for the dockable window with checkboxes you might want to look at my Forms tutorial.

brianquad
Kobold

Post by brianquad »

Mr Fish
In reference to the PoV, I had assumed that that option would indeed function in that manner, sadly my players do not experience the desired outcome from it.

I will dive into that tutorial today and see if I can fit it into my brain. Thank you for pointing me in what I hope is the right direction.

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

Regarding POV ... either you have set up something wrong or I didnt understand what you want to achieve. The settings are influencing each other, so its easy to get it wrong. I'm not the expert on that topic, but I'
d have a look if you'd post all the "start server" settings (the checkmarks, not the login stuff) you used.

brianquad
Kobold

Post by brianquad »

The frames tutorial has been immensely helpful. Currently I am working on defining token properties and cannot find an option for placing collapsible trees inside the properties (would like to set properties which affect something like STR in a tree off of STR itself).

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

You're probably speaking of the edit token dialog. The GUI to edit token properties does look so as if token properties would have a hierarchy and could be collapsed/expanded. If you're looking for that .. its not. Its just that this dialog is done in a misleading way.

If you're talking about collapsing portions of a html frame/form you'd habe to code that all by yourself. There is no support. It would need reloads and SUBMIT-button pushes as MT does not support javascript what is used in the web for that purpose.

maybe that helps :?:

brianquad
Kobold

Post by brianquad »

Dagg Nabbit!!! I am a big believer in intuitive organization and collapsible property trees in tokens would have been ideal. Now to think of a structure that isn't too cumbersome.

Thank you for your continued assistance.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

brianquad wrote:Dagg Nabbit!!! I am a big believer in intuitive organization and collapsible property trees in tokens would have been ideal. Now to think of a structure that isn't too cumbersome.

Thank you for your continued assistance.
as a reference:
here's on of mine
--------------|PRIMARY CHARACTERISTICS|------------
WS:[h:WS=20+2d10]
BS:[h:BS=20+2d10]
S:[h:S=20+2d10]
T:[h:T=20+2d10]
Ag:[h:Ag=20+2d10]
Int:[h:Int=20+2d10]
Per:[h:Per=20+2d10]
WP:[h:WP=20+2d10]
Fel:[h:Fel=20+2d10]
Inf
--------------|SECONDARY CHARACTERISTICS|------------
WSB:{1*floor(WS/10)+0}
BSB:{1*floor(BS/10)+0}
SB:{1*floor(S/10)+0}
TB:{1*floor(T/10)+0}
AB:{1*floor(Ag/10)+0}
IB:{1*floor(Int/10)+0}
PB:{1*floor(Per/10)+0}
WB:{1*floor(Wp/10)+0}
FB:{1*floor(Fel/10)+0}
InfB
--------------|CALCULATED CHARACTERISTICS|------------
W:[h:W=eval("10+1d3")]
SW (Starting Wounds):{SW=W}
M:{1*floor(Ag/10)+0}
Fatigue:{TB}
FatePoints:0
FatePool:0
InfPoints:0
InfPool:0
InsanityPoints:0
CorruptionPoints:0
CB:{1*floor(CorruptionPoints/10)+0}
--------------|OTHER CHARACTERISTICS|------------
Skills:{}
Talents:{}
Traits:{}
Deeds:""
Distinctions:""
PsychicPowers:{}
FaithPowers:{}
PsyRating:0
SpecialProperties:PsyClass=0; Navigator=0; Apotheker=0; SuddenDeath=0
Advancements:{}
States:{}
Recharging:{}
tmpStats:[]
tmpSkillBonus:{}
WoundLevel:Healthy
OnBoard
--------------|EQUIPMENT|------------
Weapons:{"Unarmed":{"Category":"Melee","Group":"Primitive","Class":"Natural","Range":0,"SingleShot":0,"SemiBurst":0,"FullBurst":0,"WpnDamDice":1,"WpnDamDiceType":5,"WpnDamMod":-3,"DamType":"Impact","Penetration":0,"Clip":0,"ClipSize":0,"WpnAttMod":0,"NumClips":0,"ClipType":"-","RldTime":"","numHands":1,"Special":"Primitive, Grapple, Unwieldy","SpecialText":"","Weight":0,"Cost":"-","Availability":"-","Page":197,"Source":"DH-CR"}}
Armour:{}
Gear:{}
CurrentlyEquippedArmour:{}
ArmourWearing
PrimaryWeapon:Unarmed
SecondaryWeapon:Unarmed
MountedWeapon
UnarmedWeapon:Unarmed
ReloadingMountedWeapon
--------------|ARMOUR STATS|------------
HeadAP:0
BodyAP:0
ArmPAP:0
ArmSAP:0
LegPAP:0
LegSAP:0
HeadAType:None
BodyAType:None
ArmPAType:None
ArmSAType:None
LegPAType:None
LegSAType:None
Deflector:{}
Cover:{"Type":0,"Head":0,"ArmP":0,"ArmS":0,"Body":1,"LegP":1,"LegS":1,"AP":0}
--------------|DISPLAY INFO|------------
*@Embarked:{OnBoard}
*@WS|BS:{WS}|{BS} ({WSB}|{BSB})
*@S|T:{S}|{T} ({SB}|{TB})
*@Ag|Int|WP:{Ag}|{Int}|{WP} ({AB}|{IB}|{WB})
*@Per|Fel:{Per}|{Fel} ({PB}|{FB})
*@Infamy
*@W|SW:{W}|{SW}
*@M|Chrg|Run:{M}|{M*3}|{M*6}
*@Fat|SFat:{Fatigue}|{TB}
*@IP|CP|FPool|FPoints
*@CP|IPool|IPoints
*@PR:{PsyRating}
*@AP-H|B|A P-S|L P-S:{HeadAP}|{BodyAP}|{ArmPAP}-{ArmSAP}|{LegPAP}-{LegSAP}
*Wearing:[r, if(length(ArmourWearing) > 60): substring(ArmourWearing, 0, 60) + "..." ; ArmourWearing]
*Hands P|S:[r, if(length(PrimaryWeapon) > 30): substring(PrimaryWeapon, 0, 30) + "..." ; PrimaryWeapon]|[r, if(length(SecondaryWeapon) > 30): substring(SecondaryWeapon, 0, 30) + "..." ; SecondaryWeapon]
*Mount:[r, if(length(MountedWeapon) > 60): substring(MountedWeapon, 0, 60) + "..." ; MountedWeapon]
*Dodge|Parry:[h:dodge = json.get(States, "Dodged")][h:parry=json.get(States, "Parried")][r:if(dodge == "" && parry != "", 0, dodge)][r:if(dodge != "" || parry != "", "|","")][r:if(dodge != "" && parry == "", 0, parry)]
*Condition:[r:getStates("Cover")]
*sheet.distance (Distance):[r: distanceStatSheet(currentToken())]
---------------|CREATE TOKEN MACROS AND SYSTEM|---------------
LastMeleeAttack:{"wpnUsed":"Unarmed","exoticTrained":"1","targetDefensive":"0","targetProne":"0","vehicleLocation":"0","calledShot":"0","logis":"0","sureStrike":"1","assStrike":"1","targetSurprised":"0","stunned":"0","higherGround":"0","hatred":"0","allowRighteousFury":"-","autoRF":"-","action":"Standard","aim":"0","outNumbered":"0","terrain":"0","visibility":"0","miscModDam":"0","miscMod":"0","token":"","penMod":"0","token":"","vehicleToken":"","bonusHordeDmgDice":"0","miscHordeDmg":"0","miscOneTimeHordeDmg":"0","bonusDoS":"0","addCritDmg"="0"}
LastRangedAttack:{"wpnUsed":"","exoticTrained":"1","targetProne":"0","vehicleLocation":"0","shootInMelee":"0","concealed":"0","targetSurprised":"0","stunned":"0","calledShot":"0","logis":"0","ricochet":"0","allowRighteousFury":"-","autoRF":"-","action":"Standard","aim":"0","distance":"0","visibility":"0","sizeTarget":"0","miscModDam":"0","miscMod":"0","penMod":"0","token":"","token":"","vehicleToken":"","bonusHordeDmgDice":"0","miscHordeDmg":"0","miscOneTimeHordeDmg":"0","bonusDoS":"0","addCritDmg"="0"}
LastPsychicAttack:{"selPower":"","numDice":1,"mods":0, "extraFocusMod": 0, "extraPowerMod": 0, "extraPPMod": 0}
LastRange:0
globalPenalty:{}
checkForModifiers:1
evasionAction:0
evasionModifier:0
evasionWpn
modifier:0
manualRolls:0
DHFWVersion
macroFrameCache
macroFrameCache2
quickSheetCache
quickSheet2Cache
quickSheet3Cache
fullSheetCache
initiative:0
favour:Fate
---------------|TEMPLATES|---------------
templates:{}

brianquad
Kobold

Post by brianquad »

That is roughly the shape of what I was thinking.

Is it possible to have difference fields revealed with the portrait dependant on PC/NPC? I have plans to fake it, just wondering if there is some infrastructure that someone else already though of.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

There are two methods:
1. Use two different property types, one for pc and one for npc
2. Use @*strength:[r,if(isPc()):5;10)]

The latter is a silly example but I hope you get the geste.

brianquad
Kobold

Post by brianquad »

Given that I will be very unlikely to flesh out token properties for most NPCs to any great degree, a simpler custom property set does sound like the wiser way to go.

brianquad
Kobold

Post by brianquad »

So, I want to make this frame. This frame will have a bunch of buffs that my players will be able to click the box if they have it and push the 'make that happen' button. I'm getting it a bit closer to actually making it work and have a question.

Can the button directly execute the state changes to the token or must it output a string to another macro (on a lib) which will make the changes?

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

brianquad wrote:So, I want to make this frame. This frame will have a bunch of buffs that my players will be able to click the box if they have it and push the 'make that happen' button. I'm getting it a bit closer to actually making it work and have a question.

Can the button directly execute the state changes to the token or must it output a string to another macro (on a lib) which will make the changes?
Im assuming that you're using frame() or dialog() as with input() this can't be done at all.
If that's the case then you'll need a 'handler' macro that 'handles' the parameters from the form. The form itself can only 'do' two things:
call a macro onChangeSelection and call a macro onSubmit. Both can pass on parameters depending on the settings on the form (e.g. radio button results, checkbox results, submit button clicked, parameters passed on to the form , etc.). The handler functions can then act on the passed on arguments. Note that if you use frame() that the form remains open when you click 'submit'.

So you can for example create a form where all the buffs are listed with a + and - button on each side. Then when a player clicks + the buff is 'immediately' added and when clicked '-' reversed.

Check out CIF's form tutorial in the wiki for more info.

brianquad
Kobold

Post by brianquad »

Yeah, spoke with a friend of mine about the limits of html forms. The +/- idea is one that I've been kicking around in my head. Not sure about the complexity difference in each individual buff 'auto update' itself upon selection, or just to have it submit the string to a macro to do my setState's.

Return to “General Discussion”