Neverwinter (MMO)

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Neverwinter (MMO)

Post by aliasmask »

I've been playing for the last couple of hours and it's what you expect, but new. Game focuses more on hotkeys than screen clicking. The launcher started off with some issues, but they cleared that up pretty quick. Now they are dealing with some lag "rubberbanding" which they attribute to a server center firewall and is currently being fixed. It makes combat "interesting" but just keep clicking and it should work out :) I say it's worth a download and the price is right (FREE).

I guess they call it Open Beta because they're still working out the kinks, but it'll be a free game even out of beta. I was afraid the game would be ruined if based on micro transactions, but their goal is to have everything available through normal game play, so that's a plus. Their pay system uses astral crystals but you can participate in events to get those. I'm only 6th level and I haven't really run in to the need to get cooler stuff not already given out in quests.

I like the camp sites they have in the instances. You can always run to one to heal up after an encounter, but they start you off with plenty of healing potions to get you through things without it.

http://nw.perfectworld.com/

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Re: Neverwinter (MMO) Open Beta has started

Post by JamzTheMan »

Hmmm, may have to check that out... (thanks, like I had loads of free time as it were :roll: )

So, is it based on any actual DnD ruleset? 3.5? 4.0? custom? Does it play more like the original NWN or DDO or Diablo or totally something else?
-Jamz

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

NWO is based on the 4.0 ruleset... which I always said was more MMO like so it might be good with it.

That said, from what I've seen of the combat, I wasn't impressed. For example, you have to plant your feet to be attacking. I guess I'm used to DDO's more active combat system where I'm moving around alot.

I'm actually more interested in seeing what Elder Scrolls Online ends up being like. They are taking signups for their beta now: http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en/
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Yeah, but you can actually avoid area attacks. The archer graphics are interesting. It shows you their firing arc (may be special) and you can run around it before they send out their volley of arrows. I haven't played any other characters but I imagine all the character are the same is how their specials are used. left click, main attack, right click, power attack, Q area attack... but I'm just guessing.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Up to level 10 soloing (on mindflayer server as Mynty). Lag problems seemed to have been fixed (yeah). Got my behind kicked this last boss battle, so I know what death is like. Made sure to run away from spinning attack and eventually beat him with 2 healing potions to stay up. Dying isn't that bad. They have a wound system although I don't know the actual affect of the wound, but you go from minor wounds to major if you keep dying at same place. But they have kits to heal those or you can stay at camp for 3 min. Not much social interaction at low levels, but I do see some roving groups of players and I get the occasional random heal when out and about.

So far I like it and having no lag is a big plus. The latest annoyance is that they have long queues now, but that will be fixed(?) at the next maintenance in about an hour. I waiting like 50 minutes early this morning. It's about 1 minute per 100 in queue. Servers are supposed to be down for about 4 hours, less if they get things done sooner for the fix.

One thing I want to try is to create my own content with Foundry. I haven't looked it to that much yet, but looks pretty simple (comparatively) to some other world building tools I've played with.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

I've been playing a bit, since its free. I would consider it "Not great, but Not Annoying." Its not as well crafted as Guild Wars 2 and the voice acting is atrocious, but I felt it did a decent enough job of giving something a D&D4e type feel.

Its by Cryptic, and if you are familiar with their work, there are things you will recognise. But surprisingly, the one thing Cryptic are best known for: detailed and customisable character creator, is missing from this game. Not sure what that's about?

Darcphaze
Cave Troll

Post by Darcphaze »

Player reminisces when Neverwinter Nights was run by AOL Online WAYYYYY back in the day. It was loads of fun with turn by turn combat. Ah yes. Hope the new one has as much success.
No matter what a GM plans for, the players are certain to find another way to do it

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I've been playing and overall I like it, but they don't have any customer support to speak of. So, if you run in to a problem in the beta, you're on your own. Some example problems I ran in to.
  • Crash during dungeon load lead to some "weird" behavior with trying to rejoin the dungeon, but fixed itself in the end.
  • PvP arena combat. One session I was dazed by opponent which denies my use of a special ability, but even after I recovered it still thought I was dazed so I could never use that ability again.
  • The hourly invocation allowed for bonus stuff, if done in arena can be invoked after each time you die if done the first time in arena.
  • Gate Crashers Skirmish wouldn't allow be to turn it in for Daily awards.
  • Anything with a dragon or in the Wolf Den skirmish is nearly impossible to win. (One shot kills and both regenerate really fast)
But there's a lot of good things like questing, most dungeons, user created foundry dungeons and professions are done nicely. Gold if fairly useless right now, after you get your horse at 20th level. You make it faster than you can spend after 20th. You basically buy potions and professional assets with it, but the real currency is Astral Diamonds. You do the Daily skirmish, dungeon, foundry and arena quests to get AD. You also get it from professions (leadership). But the real money is to be made in the AH. The AH is a WOW clone for the most part, but without all the nifty addons. Mail is also a WOW clone, including the double post bug when deleting mail they had at the beginning.

If you are determined to level up fast, just do all the regular quests several hours a day and you can be 60th in 2 weeks, easy. Personally, I do all the pvp, profession and AH stuff so I'm not there quite yet. I have a 51st level character with 33 gold (just selling anything below rare) and 155K in AD, even after buying cool stuff in AH. The double AD weekend was a real boost, but I got most of that from auctions.

Bag management can be an issue at mid levels if you try to hang on to green stuff. Putting stuff in AH is one space saver, but costs you AD to do. I'm waiting for higher level to see if bags are given as drops. Right now, you get 1 12 slot bag at 30th level after completely all the quests in this one area. I could buy a bag for 300k in AD in the AH, but that's bit much. I haven't seen any other way to get another bag other than spending real money. Costs 1000 Zen for a 24(?) slot bag which equates to $10. The AH sells them for 450K AD. There is an exchange for AD to Zen market place where it's around 450 AD to 1 Zen, so that works out to be the same. The exchange goes down ever day, so I'll keep my eye on it, but I'll need to boost my AD in the AH to have any real bargaining power. Takes money to make (fake) money. So far, I haven't spent a dime on the game and it's been pretty fun overall.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

I worry, a little, about there being enough content. This has been an issue with other Cryptic products. If you are just running one character, it seems okay. But if you start multiple characters, you seem to be repeating all the same stuff. Certainly other comparable games provide different story arcs based upon your race and class choice. In Neverwinter you get the choice of being shipwrecked or shipwrecked or maybe wrecked off a ship.

Bone White
Great Wyrm

Post by Bone White »

Perhaps you could dispel my preconception about it being made by the same company that made Perfect World and other free to play mmorpgs, which are all korean in style of being complete grind-fests and full of micro-transaction pay-to-win.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I played Perfect World beta and this has a different feel to it. I HATE micro transaction games and as a rule I just won't play them. There are no restrictions in this game, but you can buy some of the cooler stuff as a short cut. Other model put level caps or restrict you to certain things but you have access to everything in Neverwinter. Stuff is very expensive ($40 for mount that goes +110% move, regular it +50%) that for most, it's not worth it. The only benefit I find to having a faster horse is in pvp and I haven't had much trouble with my regular horse to make a diff. Also, the world is PVE mostly so you don't have to worry about getting ganked by 60th level jerks on your quests.

I do like the companion system. You can get a companion with in-game money (2g - cheap) to help bolster your weaknesses. I got a healer. I can pretty much solo anywhere I go.

Their facebook page is pretty active and I recommend subscribing for more info. Here's a pretty comprehensive article:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nev ... ,3495.html

edit: Yeah, I can see limited content being a factor. If you're shut off in your basement playing 8 hours a day, you'll get bored after the first month I imagine. But Neverwinter has an ace in the whole that offers unlimited content and that is their user created scenarios with in the foundry. But if your goal is to get the best equipment in the game, then you'll likely have to grind the top dungeons. Also, the items, IMO don't have much variety in their naming which make finding stuff in AH a pain. Some things may be named the same but have different stats and be for different levels.

Another thing that goes to content is that most of the characters look the same because of the gray armor. You get a die kit later on, but I don't see any other way to get dies so far. I imagine that'll be later on as the content grows. The just released a new companion and die pack in the zen market today, so they are developing new stuff. I'm currently up to 35 gold and 300K in Astral Diamond since my last post. I think they may have just fixed the Daily quest problem today since those were cleared and was an issue for more than just me. Right now I'm focusing on leadership profession because at the higher ranks you can get some cool stuff that'll help me make money in the AH which in turn will help me get cooler stuff. Zen market really dropped since yesterday and is down to about 350 AD for 1 Zen. On the message boards in other Perfect World games the Zen is around 160 for the normal currency. I can almost afford a bag of holding now :)

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

I was bemoaning to myself about the general "same-ness" of appearance. I posted above that I was surprised at the limited customisation options, given this was produced by Cryptic whose City of Heroes game was ground-breaking in that regard. It would be less of a problem, if there were extensive tailoring choices or armour was more varied. Neither seems to be the case :(

I received some unusual looking armour for my Wizard, last night. Unfortunately I wore it for 5 minutes before I got better stuff that looked just-like-everyone-else.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I figure more content will come later. They have a whole fashion mechanic, but no fashions.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

aliasmask wrote:I figure more content will come later. They have a whole fashion mechanic, but no fashions.
I haven't looked at the tailoring profession, yet. Any options there?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Not that I can tell. Character have pants and shirt slots which can be filled with products made in the professions which is different from the fashion stuff. The AH has a couple of items but are ridiculously priced.

Return to “General Discussion”