Gencon 2013

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Bengalelf
Dragon

Gencon 2013

Post by Bengalelf »

Since my wife surprised me with the statement that we were going to Gen-con this year, I was wondering if anyone was going to run an event and use Maptool. I seems I am the only one in my area who uses it and I would love to try an event where someone else uses it.

Even the players in my group are unwilling to use Maptool in their own events, even after watching me use it for, well for years now. They all compliment on how cool it is and how cool the maps I use are, how it seems to make the game go smoother. I have offered to show them what I know, but to be honest, I do not think any of them want to learn. I cannot say if it is laziness or fear.

Anyway, I would love to play an event using Maptool , I would prefer Champions, since it is what I run, but any event will do. I want to hook up with fellow "Maptoolers" and exchange notes. Hopefully I can learn some new tricks and teach some as well.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: Gencon 2013

Post by Azhrei »

Cool. I'm not going, but I think we should start planning now to have a group attend next year! I've set myself a calendar reminder for late May to look at the convention dates...

Sorry, that doesn't help you in your search for an MT-based module at the Con. :|

Bone White
Great Wyrm

Post by Bone White »

Why is it as soon as I read "*-Con" I immediately know "ah that's not in the UK." :(

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Bone White wrote:Why is it as soon as I read "*-Con" I immediately know "ah that's not in the UK." :(
Nor in holland.... :cry:

Xaelvaen
Dragon

Post by Xaelvaen »

Oh if only it weren't in Indy -_- So while I may live in the states, I sort-of feel your plight, heh.
"An arrogant person considers himself perfect. This is the chief harm of arrogance. It interferes with a person's main task in life - becoming a better person." - Leo Tolstoy

FreeLuna
Kobold

Post by FreeLuna »

I didn't see this post until just now. I used maptools at Gencon2013, but only as a gm-controlled background map on a projector. No direct player interaction. I wrote a custom framework to display modern military units on a world map, and the GM can move them around as the situation develops. No combat or supply macros, just tokens on a screen with some simple notes and a chat system for newsfeeds.

I threw it together for the National Security Decision Making Game, which is a political wargame/Larp: 20-60 people show up to play an ~4 hour game. Everyone gets a faction card within a country, such as US Army, FBI, Bible Belt Congressman, etc. About 20 people per country, up to three countries depending on turnout.

We use the maptools framework to move Carrier task forces around when countries are threating to invade each other, and to post news feeds into the chat window about nuclear 'accidents'. All thrown up on a projector in each room. We'll be back at Gencon next year.
Bengalelf wrote:Since my wife surprised me with the statement that we were going to Gen-con this year, I was wondering if anyone was going to run an event and use Maptool. I seems I am the only one in my area who uses it and I would love to try an event where someone else uses it.

Even the players in my group are unwilling to use Maptool in their own events, even after watching me use it for, well for years now. They all compliment on how cool it is and how cool the maps I use are, how it seems to make the game go smoother. I have offered to show them what I know, but to be honest, I do not think any of them want to learn. I cannot say if it is laziness or fear.

Anyway, I would love to play an event using Maptool , I would prefer Champions, since it is what I run, but any event will do. I want to hook up with fellow "Maptoolers" and exchange notes. Hopefully I can learn some new tricks and teach some as well.

Return to “General Discussion”