Returning to VT's and had a question about chat

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Pyro-Tech
Cave Troll

Returning to VT's and had a question about chat

Post by Pyro-Tech »

Hello! Glad to be back :D

Was wondering if it was possible within Maptool to have "map only" chat's. If not, has anyone had to do this and have their own work around?? Or does anyone have a suggestion on a work around?

The only VT I have experience with that does Map only chat is Klooge.werks...but their software was always such a pain to get installed. I have their licenses and what not but map tool was always my preferred overall.

Congrats to RPTools on reaching final as well :)

Dorn
Cave Troll

Re: Returning to VT's and had a question about chat

Post by Dorn »

There isn't such a feature built in, as far as I know, but I imagine it could be possible with a macro designed to broadcast only to players who own a token on the map. I don't have nearly enough expertise to write such a macro. I think Wolph might have 1 or 2 that could be adapted and/or combined for this.

Pyro-Tech
Cave Troll

Post by Pyro-Tech »

Yeah, I found my link from a few years ago when I apparently asked something similar. The dev's said it wouldn't be in 1.3, but possibly something for 1.4 if they figure out how they want to do it.

Gonna head over to "Feature Request" and throw some ideas out :3

Dorn
Cave Troll

Post by Dorn »

wolph42 wrote:What are 'map only chats'
I believe he means having the chat window only showing chat that is said by players on the same map. So if some of your party is on level 1, and some are on level 2, they will be seeing different chat windows.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

ah! thanks, that clears things. And to comment on the earlier suggestion: no I don't do anything with chats. Rumble does however and IRC Alias as well. But indeed most is whisper based. I think however that it would be possible to create a macro that does such a thing. the only 'nag' is that it would at least require a function that tells you where a certain client is (on what map). This *can* be done currently but is slow.

Return to “General Discussion”