Hail Strangers... I'm in desperate need of your help

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Duvik
Giant

Hail Strangers... I'm in desperate need of your help

Post by Duvik »

Heya folks, I know I haven't been around much these last couple years... but I'm still keeping things going over at The Tangled Web and, well, I'm kind of in dire straits here and I'm forced to come to you, my fellow roleplayers, to help me out of it...

Here's the short and curlies of this situation... I'm currently a fugitive... I've been hiding in my house for over a month and it's been killing me and my family. I'm hiding from a warrant for failure to pay child support in a timely manner. The problem is, I need to come up with a little over a grand in order to avoid 6 months in jail. However, I can't just go get a job to pay it now and my wife can't afford to pay the bills and keep me free.

I can't get a job, cause basically, when one gets hired on the books somewhere, a form is sent to the Department of Justice that alerts law enforcement as to your new position. So, before I'd even get a single paycheck, I'd be arrested and left with no way to earn the money to get out... it's a nasty catch-22 situation they've got me in.

However, I've got a last ditch idea and rather than fill up this forum with it, I'll just link you to the full blog about this over on my website.

Note, I'm asking for donations to help me out, but I am offering something in return, for what it's worth.

If this is an inappropriate post, I'll understand if you delete it, but please consider how much I've promote Maptools over the years through The Tangled Web and give me the benefit of the doubt.

Click here to learn how you can help me and my family while at the same time gaining the services of one of the best online GMs around...

Thank you in advance to any that choose to help me... by the way, I'm Ao on The Tangled Web, but duvik everywhere else. If you need some further idea of just what I have accomplished over the years at The Tangled Web, please take the time to read this message from an old user of mine that I received a while back... I honestly didn't think I ever had such an impact on anyone's life because of the site, but decide for yourself...

A letter from a former member that went and grew up on me...

Let the good times roll...
Get Paid to Run Games! Check out The Elite Array at The Tangled Web

The Tangled Web A community for players and DMs that prefer to play online pen and paper style rpgs using freeware Virtual Gaming Tables like MapTool. Connect with Game Masters that need players or else recruit for your own game. Now offering pay to play games in addition to our free games! Run with a professional GameMaster and you can rest assured that the show will go on week after week.

mrobviousjosh
Dragon

Re: Hail Strangers... I'm in desperate need of your help

Post by mrobviousjosh »

I'm sorry to hear of your woes. I'm a young attorney without tons of spare cash (plenty of overhead to boot since I'm on my own), but as Abraham Lincoln once said, "A lawyer's time and advice are his stock and trade." If you're in Arkansas, I could give you some insight into modification of child support and head you in the right direction (honestly doubt I could handle the whole thing pro bono, I'm just not in a financial position to do it- I don't even have a secretary). I do have friends from law school who are in other states across the country, but honestly most of the best friends are in this area (Arkansas/Oklahoma) and I don't know if I could get you help from anyone other than me. :/ Sounds like you needed a abeyance (i.e. "non-collection period") from your payment obligation for a while now- perhaps a reduction, I'm not entirely sure (depends on potential earnings and a variety of other factors). Anyway, best of luck to you and feel free to private message me if you are in my area and think I can help in that way.

P.S. Thanks for everything you've done in our community. I know you wouldn't be posting here like this if it wasn't serious- I can only imagine how embarrassing it is to do so.

Duvik
Giant

Post by Duvik »

Hi there, I appreciate your advice and I understand the issue of giving out your stock in trade for free... I get folks asking me to fix computers or to cut down trees for nothing all the time... it can be quite annoying.

I wanted to post and give you all an update... whilst I didn't get a single donation, I did attract the attention of a fellow willing to purchase my site for close to the asking price, however, we instead came to an arrangement where he instead bought in as half owner. this way I have achieved my goal with a little left over and at the same time gained a talented partner to help me grow the Tangled Web into something more than it already is. Most importantly, I didn't lose my site... I've spent 8 years growing TW into what it is and there's a lot of potential there.

So, thinks are starting to look up :D

Thanks again to the staff here at RPTools.net for allowing this post to remain up... yes, it was quite embarrassing, but it all worked out in the end...

I've got a great idea in the works that involves maptool so keep your eyes on us over at TW to stay up to date.

Let the good times roll baby!
Get Paid to Run Games! Check out The Elite Array at The Tangled Web

The Tangled Web A community for players and DMs that prefer to play online pen and paper style rpgs using freeware Virtual Gaming Tables like MapTool. Connect with Game Masters that need players or else recruit for your own game. Now offering pay to play games in addition to our free games! Run with a professional GameMaster and you can rest assured that the show will go on week after week.

mrobviousjosh
Dragon

Post by mrobviousjosh »

Sweet! I'm glad it all worked out for you. :)

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Yes, I'm very glad it worked out! TW has been a great resource for all gamers...

Return to “General Discussion”