linking maps

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

daniel50ca
Kobold

linking maps

Post by daniel50ca »

I am new to maptools and I tried searching this question but found nothing. Can I create links on a map that will load other maps. Say I have my world map created and there is a town on the map. can I embed a link that when I click on it it make the town map load. and so on for the shops and inns I have created.

Anyone have an answer?

thanks in advance for your time

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Re: linking maps

Post by CoveredInFish »

You would have to create these maps in the same campaign file. If you do so the actual linking would be done with some features of a user created awesomeness calles the Bag of Tricks by wolph42. You find it in the user creations forum (IIRC in the dropins subforum).

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

yes...many ways actually. Point however is that when you run a macro it only runs for that client (player) so if you want to switch maps you need to broadcast a macro link to all the players.

A much easier way is to switch to the map yourself and hit ctr+e and ctrl+f (or the other way round). One forces ALL clients to the same map and the other to the same view.

A bit more advanced but still no coding required is using my bag of tricks. It has several methods to switch between maps. including a macro that can force other clients to the map you want....and teleport tokens where if players move there token onto they are teleported either to another area or map. It contains a video tutorial as well.

If you want to dive into coding yourself, let us know and we'll help you on your way.

urgh... ninja'd once again... by CIF...once again...

edit: link to the bag is in my signature.

daniel50ca
Kobold

Post by daniel50ca »

Wolph42,

First thank you for your answer, I have installed and set up the pads to jump to other maps, as well as teleports around the same map. You set of macros is amazing. I am very impressed, and thank you for doing this for all of us.

One other thing I have not been able to figure out is the automating doors.. I tried to figure it out, setting them up and so forth but I can't. I searched for some tutorial on it but couldn't locate one. Do you have either a video or documentation on how to set up this feature? It will speed up my GMing if I can set these up to work automatically ahead of time.

thanks again!

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Most stuff of the door are explained in tooltips in the door macro. Hovering over the items helps a lot. Next to that there's the manual, note there are two stacked panels on top of each other when you click 'manual'.

You can also describe here step by step what you're doing and what goes wrong.

Return to “General Discussion”