Terrain features: Traps and triggers

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Quoth
Kobold

Terrain features: Traps and triggers

Post by Quoth »

So Iv been looking into new ways to spice up combat in my sessions.
So far I have come up with:
Exploding Barrles iron barrles containers that explode like Fire Bombs when hit (+20 to hit, AP 6 (reduced like cover), 1 damage causes explosion),
Suspended Pipes/Gurders that can be shot/untied to fall ontop of targets (+10 to hit, AP 5 (reducecd like cover) 1 damage causes fall. 2d10+ damage from Falling chart (p210 core rule book))
and a Man Trap that has -10 to Perseption to spot, -10 Agility to avoid and deals damage similar to a critical rending hit to the levels (4 points, half move speed untill reseving medicare, 2 levels of fatieuge) but not actually causing critical damage points. (I was tempted to say the bone breaks, but that puts the character out of cation for a couple of weeks and I plan on the party being dead by then... I mean staying active for that long)

The idea is to try and give the party some objectives within the combat. Do this and your take out these guys etc and add in some damage that doesnt aim straight at their wounds sanity or purity.

So what sort of things do you guys use? Or what can you think of?
Doesnt have to be Dark Heresy themed, its easy enough to fashion something from another system so bring it on!

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Terrain features: Traps and triggers

Post by aliasmask »

I don't know about Dark Heresy, but in DnD you're either at full ability or unconscious/dying unless afflicted from a special attack. In my games as an alternative to dying out right I give players the chance to recover an ally if they can heal him up to 0 before 1 round passes, but that ally will become a hindrance (disabled) with no chance to recover for 24 hours. I think this scares more PCs than dying. At least when you're dead they can toss you in to a bag of holding, but if you gimp someone then everyone wants to try and prevent that adding some more drama to game.

That's actually a common battlefield tactic. If you can injure an opponent, then you can remove 2 people from the battle, one who was injured and one who has to take care of him. One of the more nasty affliction in DnD Pathfinder is bleed. It gives the Player a choice, just continue with what you're doing and slowly bleed or stop and take action to stop it. Now, healing is very common so it isn't that big of a deal but in other combat games healing isn't so easy. Caltrops in DnD are fairly annoying as well. Instead of bleeding, you have reduced movement until you can take time to make a skill check to remove them or treat injury.

IMO for all games there 5 things to keep track of: health, defense, attack, damage, movement and when trying to hinder the players affecting one of these is what you do.

Quoth
Kobold

Post by Quoth »

Humm, I think you need a 6th point: ability
A character who has had some nasty dust blow in his eyes is still healthy, but at find it harder to spot a concealed trap due to puffy, watery eyes. Someone who is infected with a fungus, scretes a sweet smell that attracts unwanted attention from local wildlife. A healing potion was misslabled now the character has darkvision, but suffers unbearably in light.

I deffinatly like the caltrop idea, a staple in any adventure for player irritation! =P

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Yeah, I considered perception as another major option as well as abilities in general but affecting those usually affects the first 5 in some way, especially for attack, defense and movement but with the variety of perceptions available in game systems it should warrant to be a major aspect of any character.

I'm a longtime Champions player and when building heroes I have to make sure I can see my targets.

Return to “General Discussion”