Building a Multitouch Gaming Table, Need help

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Totharious
Kobold

Building a Multitouch Gaming Table, Need help

Post by Totharious »

Hi all,

I'm building a multi touch gaming table to use with my Face to Face Group. The only problem is I'm looking for a way to make maptools interact with it. Does anyone know of software that can help with that. It only requires one major feature.

I want to be able to place real miniature on the board for the players so that when they move them, its moves the tokens as well. The biggest issue I think I'm going to have is that since the minis will be on the board, they will never actually get dropped. It will be like they are constantly holding the left mouse button down.

If you think you can help, that would be fantastic. If you are unsure what I mean, I will be glad to provide more information.

Totharious

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Re: Building a Multitouch Gaming Table, Need help

Post by JamzTheMan »

I assume you want to use Fiducials? If so, I would think you would need a "control" Fiducial, something that MT could recognize as mouse button left/right, etc. I would think.

Have you actually "used" the table yet or just building it? I only ask because IMHO it's not really worth the effort. It sounds cool and all but... I've used MT for 72 face to face Pathfinder sessions so far. I started with a projector setup and a IR pen/Wii Remote, it wasn't worth the trouble. We also started with Mini's on the table the first night but it QUICKLY became evident that it wasn't going to work. Every time you move the map you had to move the minis around to match the tokens (or change the Zoom level). It just became easier to assign one person a mouse and they move the tokens now.

I've also tried Xbox controllers, keypads, etc, just boils down to a mouse is easiest. I've moved from a Projector to a TV now and the picture is SO much clearer (true 1080p, unless you can afford an expensive projector that does 1080p) and brighter and way cheaper. I'm currently building a table to house it and now looking at possible getting a Multi-touch overlay from PQ labs http://multitouch.com/ but the price is, well, escalates quickly in the 50"+ range. We'll see, it may have to wait until next year. I've been hoping prices would drop but instead they are just making it smaller/better at the same price :)

If you insist on Fiducials, I believe someone did do a MT hack/build with that using a third party API. He since moved to d20pro IIRC. You should be able to find it here in the forums. Hacking up MT yourself may not be that hard if you know Java. You'll only need to edit/add events on the one Swing panel. I've started looking into adding in some multitouch events for myself to make it more compatible with my Windows Surface and possible the overlay, JavaFX has these events native now so no third party jar required (woot!).
-Jamz

Totharious
Kobold

Post by Totharious »

I don't have to use Fiducials, if there is other software you can recommend for the Multi touch surface that will work well with map tools. I'm still in the planning phase of the table.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Totharious wrote:I don't have to use Fiducials, if there is other software you can recommend for the Multi touch surface that will work well with map tools. I'm still in the planning phase of the table.
It is the only method I know of if you want to recognize different tokens. Unless you want to build custom miniature bases with IR led in them with a button to activate to simulate a mouse. Or build some IR pens but then you might as well use a mouse.

If you are definitely going to use a projector setup vs a TV, I would get that first (shortest throw possible, like an infocus 1503) and then jury rig it up to project down on a table for 1 or 2 sessions. Use maptools as is with mouse. Throw some minis down and try it.

Trust me, I've been there. What sounds chill and what works are two different things. Try it out with real modules, maps, sessions, and then build.

After 6 months I am finally laying down the finish coats of Waterlox oil/varnish on my custom table I built just for VTT use. I will be posting final pics here soon(tm)! (2-3 weeks hopefully!) If you want some more ideas.
-Jamz

RedDog
Dragon

Post by RedDog »

So Jamz, did you use a TV or projector?

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

RedDog wrote:So Jamz, did you use a TV or projector?

I started with an Infocus 1503 (1000$) ceiling mounted. First on a white board then on a black out cloth. No matter what, it seemed to show "pixels" or "grids" of the threads or whatever. And I never could keep the surface clean. But it worked ok for the first 2 years.

I now have a TV setup. I purchased it about 8 months ago, a 50" 1080p Visio for $450. AFTER I got it I read that some suffer from viewing angle issues so I was like, aaak! But after putting it on the table, it was perfect, from all 4 sides. (But I would investigate it before purchasing). As TV's are not meant to be viewed from the bottom, some don't view well I hear. Although now days, even cheap TV's have good viewing angles.

The TV is way brighter, higher resolution (1080p vs WXGA, yes, noticeable difference). I just finished building a custom table out of Ash to hold the tv (sunken flush in the middle with glass overlay) that is 10' x 54". It's a monster table built from White Ash and cost more than the TV lol. But it was a fun project. We have 7 people playing RPG's every Sunday (and have since 1991). So we needed the table space!

I'll have pictures soon(tm).
-Jamz

RedDog
Dragon

Post by RedDog »

Did you have to do anything special for heat dissipation?

Looking forward to pictures. :)

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

As of yet, no. I don't have the glass top yet. Laying flat over the table, it never got hot (measured regularly via Infrared Thermometer. LCD TV's are relative low wattage now days. Although I have heard of people having issues with thin Acrylic warping so glass is recommended (although with the price of acrylic, might as well go glass).

If after putting the glass on and If I have heat issues then, I plan to just hook up some 120mm computer fans near the vents (and may do so anyway).

I just haven't ordered the glass yet because at $200, I'm wondering if I should just splurge another $400-600$ for a Touch Overlay from PQ labs (which comes with glass). I still need to get a final quote.
-Jamz

Return to “General Discussion”