Dark Heresy/Rogue Trader maps

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Quoth
Kobold

Dark Heresy/Rogue Trader maps

Post by Quoth »

So I dont really have the time (or the patience these days) to make maps for my games with the level of detail I would like and when I try I tend to get bogged down in the little meaningless details while forgetting the bigger picture.

With that in mind, I tried googling for dark heresy maps/rogue trader maps and got some interesting pictures, but not a lot of combat maps I could use.

Does anyone know where a nice stock pile of maps can be found? Preferably 80% done maps that give me room to add in extra bits of scenery that suit the mood.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: Dark Heresy/Rogue Trader maps

Post by wolph42 »

IVe been searching for a loong time, but nope. There aint. I end up using the pics from the books or creating them myself. I have quite a few maps but they're not quite rogue trader style, just functional battle maps. The only map I have is under construction and in collaboration with recklessenthusiasm who created a real rogue trader bridge for me. And I have to add although it ain't finished, it's bloody awesome and fully created in maptool. As it's his creation I'm not at liberty to share, but when it's finished I guess we'll release it somehow.

Simetradon
Cave Troll

Post by Simetradon »

I'm currently in the process of making a set, because I have yet to find a decent looking set that works well enough.

However, it won't be ready for awhile (I've been working on it for 6 months), as I'm not running any 40K based games, and I'm busy with some other projects.

Simetradon
Cave Troll

Post by Simetradon »

Right now I only have two things ready to share.

First there's the map for a factory, minus all of the machinery (as I didn't make those images):

Here's the full sized image: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5472/9218 ... 8f60_o.jpg

And the second is a "Danger Room" for someone else's Mutants and Mastermind's game that they commissioned me to design a battlemat they could print up and use:

Here's the full sized image: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5529/1035 ... 81d4_o.jpg

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

i suddenly realised that I *do* have some battle maps. These I've extracted from a warhammer 40k pc game. I can't make them publicly available, but I can share them with you through dropbox.
If you like I can share that folder with you, if you can drop your findings in that folder as well, then thats much appreciated.

edit: if yes, send me a pm with the email address that is linked to your dropbox account. If you do not yet have a db account.... :| then now is a good time to start.

Cherno
Giant

Post by Cherno »

There are tons of fan-made and official HeroClix maps, for the Star Wars line and all others, most are free to download. I have seen things like Death Star corridors, Ewok Village, Sarlacc Pit, and more.

Here's one site for fan maps, I believe there are several.

Simetradon
Cave Troll

Post by Simetradon »

It took me awhile, but I finally got around to finish up that set of tiles for DH/RT:

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/s ... i-tile-set

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Simetradon wrote:It took me awhile, but I finally got around to finish up that set of tiles for DH/RT:

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/s ... i-tile-set
I had a closer look at your set and was wondering whether you are 'into it' to extend the set to a full 'auto dungeon builder' set? It would be nice to have at least one of the textures in a complete set.

This 'set completion' can be done on 2 levels: simple and full (aka insane) :mrgreen:

for the simple version you only need 6 different tiles, for the full set 51.

I can imagine that the 'full' set is a bit too much, but the simple version should be doable, moreover as you have most (but not all) tiles already.

Here what they look like:
Tile Simple set.jpg
Tile Simple set.jpg (67.91 KiB) Viewed 24773 times
The numbering is derived from the exit. Basically these are all 6x6 tiles (can also be 3x3 or 9x9 as long as they are divided into 3 parts). Given that there are 4 possible exits per tile: E/S/W/N they are coded: 1/2/3/4, hence T0 has no exits and T1234 has them all. T13 looks like a T24 (as the exits are S/N) but its rotated and if you rotate it 90 degrees its a T13 again.

With such a full set, I can use the dungeon builder to create intricate maps on the fly (including VBL!)

Anyway, it would be awesome of you could extend one ore more of your tiles to a complete set.

Should you really feel up to the task you could also consider doing an 'insane' version which looks like
this:
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (353 KiB) Viewed 24773 times
As you can see there are 64 tiles, but some are symmetric which means that they can be flipped. Taking those out there remain 51 'unique' tiles. Note that the 'green' centre with the numbering can be either filled or empty (open or closed) which leaves room for variation. Note that the numbering is now different as you have 4 extra 'exits'. The picture at the bottom explains the color codes.

Simetradon
Cave Troll

Post by Simetradon »

I'm not exactly sure what such a set would entail.

However, due to my contract with Roll20, I would need to create all new content for such a resource.

Due to my other ongoing efforts, I wouldn't be able to give any sort of reliable time frame for completion for 6 tiles, let alone 51.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Simetradon wrote:I'm not exactly sure what such a set would entail.

However, due to my contract with Roll20, I would need to create all new content for such a resource.

Due to my other ongoing efforts, I wouldn't be able to give any sort of reliable time frame for completion for 6 tiles, let alone 51.
Thanks for the swift response.
Im completely fine with you releasing that content for roll20 and I also have no issues with paying for it, as long as I can download it for (personal) use with maptool.

I also don't think you need to create 6 tiles (but i could be wrong) as you already have parts of the set. E.g.
  • 6x6 Hallway Cross 2 - is a T1234 tile
  • 12x12 Room 2 - is a T0 (as it has no doors)
  • and that same tile can easily be made into a T1 by adding a door or opening.
Then you have:
  • 4x4 Hallway Corner 2 - which is a T12 however you need to expand the background so it becomes a 6x6
  • same with: 6x4 Hallway T Junction 2 which is a T123
  • and finally you have: 6x2 Hallway 2 which is a T13, but again the background needs to be expanded to 6x6.
So for that texture they're already there, they just need a little tweaking.

Note that this is not 'just' for the the dungeon builder. By extending the set to at least these 6 you give a GM ALL possible permutations for a cardinal dungeon, which makes the set much more user friendly and useful.

Simetradon
Cave Troll

Post by Simetradon »

I'll see what I can do, but I cannot promise a release date. I'm quite busy with producing other content.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Simetradon wrote:I'll see what I can do, but I cannot promise a release date. I'm quite busy with producing other content.
I'll be patiently waiting :D

Return to “General Discussion”