Is Maptools Dead?

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Altrunchen
Giant

Is Maptools Dead?

Post by Altrunchen »

Hey so I've been noticing that these forums have been pretty dead lately. It seems like there also hasn't been an update in a long while and that the community isn't really interested in changing maptools as it is. It seems like things have kind of well...stagnated a bit.

What's going on exactly? I hope Maptools isn't dead because I could think of a lot of things that would nice to see in the near future. I mean it's a great program and I use it all the time. But I'm wondering if development on it has died out, that's all.

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Re: Is Maptools Dead?

Post by CoveredInFish »

It has definitely slowed down a lot - given. I wouldnt say its dead.

There are two or three actively developed forks of MT1.3 around and there is work on MT2.0 (or1.4 who knows) going on.

The main dev team seams to suffer from severe real life and thus cannot invest a lot of time.

The community is mostly alive and there are still new people showing up.

I agree that there isnt as much movement as back in the .65-.72 days and no one can really say if MT will make it, but it surely isnt dead yet.

Altrunchen
Giant

Post by Altrunchen »

CoveredInFish wrote:It has definitely slowed down a lot - given. I wouldnt say its dead.

There are two or three actively developed forks of MT1.3 around and there is work on MT2.0 (or1.4 who knows) going on.

The main dev team seams to suffer from severe real life and thus cannot invest a lot of time.

The community is mostly alive and there are still new people showing up.

I agree that there isnt as much movement as back in the .65-.72 days and no one can really say if MT will make it, but it surely isnt dead yet.
Well that's good to hear :). It's a shame that the developers are so busy though, I hope everything is okay for them.

Simetradon
Cave Troll

Post by Simetradon »

Most definitely not dead... although I see more game announcements on Reddit than I do here.

I haven't run a game in a few months, but I have a play test scheduled for late April, and I will be using Maptools/Skype. Once play testing is complete, and the book is released, I will be releasing a file containing all the macros and a small map pack... possibly even a demo adventure all bundled up, only on Maptools.

Jshock
Dragon

Post by Jshock »

I would definitely say Maptool has lost market share, so to speak; Nifty features would seem to be less popular than ease of use and final polish. Developers should take note of this.

metatheurgist
Dragon

Post by metatheurgist »

Ease of use is a moving target. If I can't do everything I want, then it's not easy to use. Maptool's flexibility is it's strength.

Bone White
Great Wyrm

Post by Bone White »

metatheurgist wrote:Ease of use is a moving target. If I can't do everything I want, then it's not easy to use. Maptool's flexibility is it's strength.
If I had a £ for every time someone in one of my groups said "I wish roll20 had more complicated macros" I'd be a rich man.

Also, it's MapTool, not MapTools.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Bone White wrote:Also, it's MapTool, not MapTools.
Soon to be "Mote": http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24863

Lee's Kickstarter fork is likely to breathe some much needed life into MT.

CLEAR!

*Bzzzt-THWACK!*
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Bone White
Great Wyrm

Post by Bone White »

Full Bleed wrote:*Bzzzt-THWACK!*
Doctor, we have a faint pulse.
Give her 100 ccs of adrenaline, and let's keep the patient in intensive care for observation, and hope all of the donor organs can do their job. This girl is the best chance we have at a comprehensive virtual tabletop.

badsequel
Giant

Post by badsequel »

Bone White wrote:
Full Bleed wrote:*Bzzzt-THWACK!*
Doctor, we have a faint pulse.
Give her 100 ccs of adrenaline, and let's keep the patient in intensive care for observation, and hope all of the donor organs can do their job. This girl is the best chance we have at a comprehensive virtual tabletop.
:lol:
My shared rpg stuff:
(exe)TokenNameChanger3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cqsof54v3dl2k ... 3.zip?dl=0
Tiddly Spell Wiki: https://www.dropbox.com/s/53pya4k68mnvc ... ddly01.htm

Stuff to check out:
Mote Kickstarter(back it): https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/74 ... abletop-ev

Lee
Dragon

Post by Lee »

:lol:

MeMeMe
Dragon

Post by MeMeMe »

CoveredInFish, you mentioned there are 2-3 forks of MapTools around. Where are they? I'd like to try them out.
MapTools Forks: Thread

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Search for tiamat, plug in and mote. The latter is the kick starter variant and the most likely new 'trunk' it's also not yet available. Ah and there is b90 beta which is no beta for along time now and actually the current trunk.

MeMeMe
Dragon

Post by MeMeMe »

Thanks wolph.
I created a post with the locations I found for those plugins, in case others wanted to find them.
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=25033
MapTools Forks: Thread

Altrunchen
Giant

Post by Altrunchen »

So...I've noticed a distinct lack of updates or new versions for maptool, is there anything I can do to help speed things up perhaps?

Return to “General Discussion”