Adding labels to maps

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

birdwh
Kobold

Adding labels to maps

Post by birdwh »

By labels I mean the descriptive text bubbles you can added to maps, but the players can't see them. Things like "REACTOR ROOM" and so-forth. Searching for 'map labels' or labels brings up a lot of topics about html or macros or something.

At one time I knew how to add/edit these...now I am maddeningly unable to remember how to do it. All the obvious things such as double clicking on the label (in any layer) or looking for it in menus don't work. Anyone...for the love of... This time i'll sticky note it to the monitor.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Adding labels to maps

Post by aliasmask »

I just use a generic token and put the label in the name, gm name or label of token. You can then either set the visibility of token or move it to hidden layer. I usually just mouse over them, but you can check the Show Token Names under view (ctrl-T) to have them showing all the time.

birdwh
Kobold

Post by birdwh »

Thanks aliasmask, I can use new/hidden token as a work around! The labels feature is nice in that they are always exposed, only visible to GM, and don't require placing a new object or token. I wish I could remember it now...

birdwh
Kobold

Post by birdwh »

Ok, I remembered how to do this...yay!

1) Go to 'Drawing Tools'
2) Click on far right 'T' icon, "Add text label to map".

birdwh
Kobold

Post by birdwh »

But, I realize now the Text Labels are visible to players. So if you don't want players to see them you have to put them just outside the visible map area, otherwise they are nice.

Bone White
Great Wyrm

Post by Bone White »

birdwh wrote:But, I realize now the Text Labels are visible to players. So if you don't want players to see them you have to put them just outside the visible map area, otherwise they are nice.
So why not ask for b90 the ability to have labels as gm only? :wink: Should be relatively simple to add.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I have my own system of room labels. I put a generic token on the map and click a macro when selected. It looks at the token name and then displays the message I set up earlier. For example, room C7:
||| RawDialog |||
Format is:

Code: Select all

roomLabel/subtitle/target:output
roomLabel - token name (note: gmname is alt name to be displayed in output rather than "Room C7")
subtitle - default is "Description" this is also used as a key value in a json, so this should be a unique name, but only to that room.
target - This is where output goes to. Default is just "self,gm" but "all" and "gm" are also common.

function am.temple.getSkillCheckLink(skill,dc,successMessage,altLinkText) is used for players to quickly make rolls. Player can only click a link once, which is enforced by macro. Each link has unique identifier, so it knows.

Code: Select all

C7:A trio of shallow alcoves lines each side of this wide, arched hallway. At the far end of the passage, overlooking everything, a huge, terrible statue of a pregnant, winged, jackal-headed woman perches upon a great stone dais.
C7/Examine Fonts:The water is crisp and clean. [r: am.temple.getSkillCheckLink("Perception",0,"You don't feel so good. Make a Fort save DC 18. "+am.temple.getSkillCheckLink("Perception",0,"You begin to vomit up the water and are sickened for 1d4 rounds.","Success")+"/"+am.temple.getSkillCheckLink("Perception",0,"Visions of madness enter your mind and your body begins to contort. Take 1d6 INT and DEX damage","Failure"),"Taste/Drink water")], [r: am.temple.getSkillCheckLink("Perception",0,"You don't feel so good. Make a Fort save DC 14. "+am.temple.getSkillCheckLink("Perception",0,"You begin to vomit up the water and are sickened for 1d4 rounds.","Success")+"/"+am.temple.getSkillCheckLink("Perception",0,"Visions of madness enter your mind and your body begins to contort. Take 1d6 INT and DEX damage","Failure"),"Wash hands/face")], [r: am.temple.getSkillCheckLink("Perception",0,"Only a fool would drink from a water font at an evil temple.","Leave water alone.")]
C7/Bloody Writing:You find this sloppily written in blood on the flagstones:<br>/iGreat is the daughter of Heaven who tortures infants!<br>Her hand is a net, her embrace is death.<br>She is cruel, raging, angry, predatory.<br>She constantly howls like a demon-dog./i
C7/Examine Lamashtu Statue:[r: am.temple.getSkillCheckLink("Perception",20,"You find a hidden chamber behind statue, but it is unaccessible from this side.")]
C7/Examine Braziers:These incense braziers are suspended over a large, canine-shaped skull painted with mystical symbols. [r: am.temple.getSkillCheckLink("Perception",0,"Nothing special about these symbols.","Read Symbols")]
||| Label Example |||
The label is on the Hidden layer. That makes it easy to select and run my macro even if PC is on top of it.
Room label example.jpg
Room label example.jpg (107.09 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
||| Dialog Menu |||
Dialog Menu Example.jpg
Dialog Menu Example.jpg (90.38 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
||| Chat |||
Oswin first clicks leave alone and then decides to drink some.
Chat example.jpg
Chat example.jpg (42.31 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
I plan to release this to the public at some time, but it's still in development and requires some clean up and organization.

Return to “General Discussion”