Maptool Text Issue

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

blaze1662001
Kobold

Maptool Text Issue

Post by blaze1662001 »

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this and if it's not I'm terribly sorry. I'm a new DM and have been loving maptool and using it to run my sessions from. However, when it came time to run our session this week one of my players ran into a very interesting problem. All the text in maptool except for what was being typed in the chatbox and what had been typed in the group textbox of the macro's had been replaced with special characters. We've tried everything we could think of to fix it and nothing worked. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have also enclosed a screen capture of what his maptool looked like so you can get a better idea of what the problem may be.
... Large Image ...
The picture of what his maptool looks like
The picture of what his maptool looks like
Maptool Issue.PNG (503.76 KiB) Viewed 1071 times
Last edited by aliasmask on Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Put image in spoiler tag

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: Maptool Text Issue

Post by wolph42 »

this is not my cup of T but i remember this being discussed here before. So the best thing i can suggest is to search the forum for this issue. It sounds like some language thing... have you checked the language settings?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Yeah, if someone created the framework in french then things like macro names would be in french. But, in order to see those character properly, you have to use unicode in MapTool. There is a java switch for that which you can also find in forums by searching for "unicode".

Bone White
Great Wyrm

Post by Bone White »

Seeming as the problem is only on one computer, I can only assume it's a problem localised to that pc. As has already been suggested, language options are a likely cause. I'd be interested to know what the default language is on that computer.

blaze1662001
Kobold

Post by blaze1662001 »

Sorry for the late reply I've been really busy with school so no sessions have run in that time. The player is using english (canada) for their system locale and default language on their computer. What makes this issue very weird was that his pic was fine the day before and he apparently did nothing and the issue popped up. I've spent some time going through the forums and by the looks of it the solution will not be an easy fix. Which is unfortunate since my player lives too far away for me to help them and the solutions are too complex for them on their own. I also forgot to mention that we are currently using b90. I just wanted to say tank you guys for your help.

Return to “General Discussion”