Mote Announcement and Email.

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Full Bleed
Demigod

Mote Announcement and Email.

Post by Full Bleed »

So, with over 14000 members on the forums and countless thousands of other MT users and players who have probably never joined the forums, Mote's Kickstarter has only been able to muster 89 backers in its first 16 days.

I could chalk this up to Maptool Users being cheap. I mean, MT (and Mote for that matter) are "free"... so why pay for it?

Or I could chalk it up to many RPG Players being cheap. Heck, I *know* my players are cheap. Many will spend more money this weekend going to the movies or grabbing some dinner out than they've spent directly on PnP gaming in 20+ years. And, of course, it's programs like MT that continue to support that proud tradition of free-loading. ;)

But I don't really think either of those two accusations (no matter how true they might be) are the real cause for the modest backing Mote has, thus far, received.

I really think it's because many players and MT users who would be willing to throw some beer money at the Mote Kickstarter just don't even know it's going on.

And that's a big problem. One that the Rptools forum can assist with by putting up an Announcement that will notify users who have subscribed to the Announcement forum and/or, even better, send out a mass email with a notice of the event.

Don't get me wrong, an average of almost $42 per backer is pretty impressive for an open source project without perks that really drive higher pledges (BTW, props to the big spenders who are carrying the rest of us lightweights! :)) But, that said, the quantity of backers is what sets off my warning lights.

Point in fact: Lee has probably submitted more patches for MT in the last year than anyone else and has certainly been much more present and active during a period that our "core developers" have become mere shadows and figments of our once wild imaginations. If it wasn't for him and some very notable (you know who you are!) modders and macroscript gurus around here, MT and the RPTools forum would be a ghost town after the dryspell we've been going through.

And, with Mote, Lee's put together a potentially huge and meaningful kickstart to MTs 1.3 development that will become the defacto 1.3 version of MT. That is, it will *become* the default Maptool in much the same way that 1.3b89 is currently the default Maptool.

So, here is my proposition:

1) Lets see an Informational Announcement that will tag Announcement Subscribers and let them know something *big* is happening in Maptool's corner of the world (certainly the biggest thing since Trevor handed over the reigns). It should be enough to note that, "It is not an Official Rptools Production", but that it is, "A significant evolution of 1.3, by a notable community developer, with a significant number of features, UI improvements, & bug fixes--all while remaining fully 1.3 compatible." There doesn't have to be anything else said to sell the project. Just point out the broad bullet points and put up a link to the Kickstarter that is, "Worthy of consideration by current and past Maptool users to provide support for continued development."

I believe that would be a fair and modest approach.

2) And if, for some reason, that doesn't help get the project funded... I can almost guarantee a mass mailing would.

Again, I'm not proposing "selling Mote to users". I'm proposing notifying them that it exists and letting them consider whether supporting it is right for them. People can't do that if they don't know it exists.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: Mote Announcement and Email.

Post by wolph42 »

I can only but fully agree, but thats an admin call (emailing to ALL users). I have to note though that doing that will most likely not survive most spam filters nowadays but its certainly worth a try....Which means you'll need to get your hands on one of the site admins (== Azh).

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

I've "reported" my own post to get an admin response.

But, frankly, the lack of response in the Mote Going Live thread when I brought up this issue and in this thread only highlights just how "abandoned" the current Maptool feels.

It really highlights even more strongly why Mote needs to happen for Maptool to remain a relevant VTT. It's just a shame that the strength of the community isn't being leveraged a little better in this endeavor.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Well, I have some mod powers, but no control/influence over the site. Az will get to it when he gets to it.

Dervish
Giant

Post by Dervish »

The lack of response most likely has nothing to do with maptool at all. ther needs of mote or maptools pale in comparison to the needs of the users to Make their housepayments, car payments, insuraces both auto and medical, and in so cases home owners. Not to mention Food, Fuel, Utilities. and medical bills also those costs go up when you have a family. that is not even accounting for emergency costs that occasionally arise.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Dervish wrote:The lack of response most likely has nothing to do with maptool at all. ther needs of mote or maptools pale in comparison to the needs of the users to Make their housepayments, car payments, insuraces both auto and medical, and in so cases home owners. Not to mention Food, Fuel, Utilities. and medical bills also those costs go up when you have a family. that is not even accounting for emergency costs that occasionally arise.
This isn't a post about whether or not your average Maptool user can afford $1 to $25 to back a program that they've probably put 10's, 100's, or even 1000's of hours of free time into. Heck, I've got a player (a family man and very good friend) I've known for 25 years that currently "can't afford to give anything" but has still managed to eat out 4 times this week, get a foot massage, and buy some liquor. If I'm not going to argue with him about what he can and can't afford I'm certainly not going to argue with you or anyone else.

What this post *is* about is whether or not your average Maptool user knows about the Mote Kickstarter at all.

My personal opinion however, (which really isn't relevant to the issue at hand) is that both are probably true (i.e. the average Maptool user can afford $1 to $25 *and* many don't know the Kickstarter is going on.) In comparison, the latest Announcement on 1/10/14 (on a free Artpack) has only 5 responses and still managed 678 views. The Mote Kickstarter Post has *54* Responses and a paltry 930 views (many of which were probably redirected here from other sites and are repeat views).

Further, I also believe that the site is probably viewed by GM's far more than players. Thus the Announcement forum subscribers are probably more GM's than players. And, for example, I know that of the 8 people I currently GM for only one comes here every blue moon. So that means that I am the gateway to any news that is released here. Which means that if I don't know something is happening with MT they certainly don't. And if I hadn't stopped by in the last couple weeks that would be 9 people that didn't know it was going on. Extrapolate that out and you probably have thousands of people that don't know it's going on... Scores of which just might be both *interested* and *able* to back MT's future.

I completely understand that many will not be interested. And some that are certainly aren't able. But they've got to know about it to fall into one of those categories.

Return to “General Discussion”